Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had two 110 circuits put in today as I really needed them bad. I have tripped a breaker twice this week due to running an extra heater in my shop. It's not often that it gets this cold and stays cold here in middle Tennessee. Most of the time the one small heater will keep about 65* and that is fine with me but it's been getting down in the lower 50's at night with the one heater running. I am afraid to run the other heater at night because it's not a quality heater.

Now here is the bad part. I wanted to run a circuit for 220 volt but the cost was to high. The price for running the two 110 circuits was $1384.00. To install a 220 circuit would have been $692.00 more. :crying:

There goes my drum sander I have been wanting. :crying:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Don that seems unreasonably expensive. I doubt if the wire and two circuit breakers would have cost $100. What did they have to do that drove the cost so high?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They had a book with prices in it and that is what they charged. They were located here in town but I found them through Home Advisors. I will say they did a good job but I thought it was high. I did get another estimate. What really bothers me is I could have done it myself if I were younger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don, Those prices are much too high. I suggest you check out at least two more sources, I'm sure you can get it done at a more reasonable cost. In my shop I have two circuits one 20 amps just for overhead lighting and the other is 30 amp for power tools. I don't have a need for 220 volts but it might be handy if I up graded to a more powerful table saw. If I needed additional electric heat another 30 amp circuit dedicated just for these heaters is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I do my own wiring. My house was built with an unfinished basement- 4 outlets in the whole basement! The previous owner wasn't a mental giant. He put sheetrock on the ceiling and for me to rewire it, I would have to torn it all out. May do that one of these days for the fun of it. I had to run an additional line as I couldn't run the shop vac, heater, or any power equipment or anything in the basement at the same time without tripping the breaker. The house is a split foyer- either take the wire up into the attic and then down. I opted to run it along the wall and under the foyer into the shop. Used Wire Mold and conduit.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Unless there was no easy access to the space the wire was run through the price was outrageous. As far as the heaters; small electric heaters are real energy hogs and usually pull between 1500 to 1800 watts. Having two on the same circuit will most likely pop the circuit breaker. If you have more than one breaker controlling the shop outlets move one heater to the other circuit and that should work. Running the 110 circuit is not rocket science, my daughter and I wired my whole shop which was inspected and approved (disclaimer: neither of us is an electrician BUT we both have experience (Navy electronics school for me-- extensive remodeling experience for her) and we always have an electrician check our work). I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING YOUR OWN UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, AMPERAGE EVEN WITH LOW VOLTAGE CAN KILL YOU !!

In a small shop I prefer using my BUDDY heater. It doesn't use that much propane and gas is always faster than electricity.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it't already done but I am still crying over spilled milk. I know how to run a circuit but I am just not able.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had two 110 circuits put in today as I really needed them bad. I have tripped a breaker twice this week due to running an extra heater in my shop. It's not often that it gets this cold and stays cold here in middle Tennessee. Most of the time the one small heater will keep about 65* and that is fine with me but it's been getting down in the lower 50's at night with the one heater running. I am afraid to run the other heater at night because it's not a quality heater.

Now here is the bad part. I wanted to run a circuit for 220 volt but the cost was to high. The price for running the two 110 circuits was $1384.00. To install a 220 circuit would have been $692.00 more. :crying:

Don I don't want to make you feel bad but I think you were hosed pretty good on that job. I just had 2 110's and a 220 circuit installed. I used a licensed electrician who lives in the neighborhood who does moonlighting .He did it all for $300 plus parts which ran probably 200 more at HD. I put a 5000kw heater on the 240 and it keeps my garage at whatever temperature I want. I usually keep it at 65. You might check for moonlighters to do your work and if you get lucky you might still be able to get your 240 at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don I don't want to make you feel bad but I think you were hosed pretty good on that job. I just had 2 110's and a 220 circuit installed. I used a licensed electrician who lives in the neighborhood who does moonlighting .He did it all for $300 plus parts which ran probably 200 more at HD. I put a 5000kw heater on the 240 and it keeps my garage at whatever temperature I want. I usually keep it at 65. You might check for moonlighters to do your work and if you get lucky you might still be able to get your 240 at a reasonable cost.
Well at least a bit of fun::smile::smile::smile::smile:

"a 5000kw heater"

That's not too bad heater!

It can warm up a 100x100 yard open air garden with no insulation at all!

Regards.
Gérard

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm in Florida. In October I had an electrician add 2 110 lines and 2 quad outlets, each with a GFI. $370. I also had another circuit run to the ceiling and they mounted a new WEN air cleaner that I bought. $225. My shop is in my garage which is where the breaker box is located so there weren't any long runs but the walls are cement block so they had to deal with that running the lines and mounting the boxes. Don, what's done is done but I'd suggest getting multiple bids before you have any more work done.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
I sure as hell would hate to tell you guys about some of the mistake i have made you guys are tough on people.
Don if your happy and they did get a good job might well get on to making sawdust!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Don the best solution if you need more circuits is to have a sub panel put in. You probably are still able to run circuits from that. If drilling holes in studs or joists is too hard then hire a young fellow for $20 or so and let him do the grunt work. Then show him him how to do the rest and let him learn something while he's there.

Reactions: coyote7

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sure as hell would hate to tell you guys about some of the mistake i have made you guys are tough on people.
Don if your happy and they did get a good job might well get on to making sawdust!
I am not all that upset about hiring them. One thing that I liked about them is they got here on time. We made an appointment for 8 AM and they were here at 8 on the dot. That is a pet pieve of mine. I believe people should do what they say they are going to do.

They did have to run two runs of romex at least 100'. But still I think it was to high. The real hard part about all of this is I never had to hire people to do anything around the house. I did it myself. I feal most of the guys on this forum do the same thing and fix it their self. It really sucks when you get where you can't do stuff your self.

I have been burnt several times by getting moonlighters or want a be's to do work for me. I had really rather hire a good company to work for me and the job be done right than to hire a want a be and they mess it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts

If you had told me that story in a bar I would have beaten you until you gave me the name and address of the electrician so I could go beat him

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you had told me that story in a bar I would have beaten you until you gave me the name and address of the electrician so I could go beat him

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:laugh2: I have a hand gun carry permit. Don't get excited I wouldn't use a gun I would run. :crying:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you ran two 20 amp 110 lines or one 20 amp 240 line, the 240 line should be less money as it uses a common neutral. You run the 4 wire romex (ground, neutral and two hots and then split into two circuits in the garage, each 20 (or whatever wire you run) amps...

I was a licensed electrician and even today those numbers are outrageous.

Did they wear a little mask when they did the job? :)

I agree, time to move on, but take it as a lesson, never again.

Enjoy the warmth !

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
When I worked in electrical at Lowe's, one of the guys was the "pro" and said after 100 feet, there would be some voltage drop. He always recommended going to the next heavier wire. You are right at the edge. Personally, I would err on the side of caution in this case. Comments?

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I worked in electrical at Lowe's, one of the guys was the "pro" and said after 100 feet, there would be some voltage drop. He always recommended going to the next heavier wire. You are right at the edge. Personally, I would err on the side of caution in this case. Comments?
At 100 ft with a maximum load you would have a voltage drop of about 6 volts, not enough to cause an issue. If less draw you would have less voltage drop.

It would not hurt to have installed a #10 vs #12 wire on a 20 amp circuit, if you feel you will be running close to max amp draw.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.