Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, approximately 60 years,my dear Grandfather gave me a tiny spirit level which I have kept in my tool collection but never found much use for.So I was looking for a spanner the other day when there it was, this little level turned up. I thought I would clean it & see who its maker was.Not a good idea,cleaning something so old,but it was really hard to read the markings so out with the magnifying glass & in somewhat vague print is, J.RABONE & SONS, MAKERS,BIRMINGHAM. On the other end was Patent No.22017. This tiny level is only 8 inches long & has 1 inches,1/2,1/4 &1/8s on one side & 1/16ths etc on the other,brass caps on both ends & the main mid level is housed in brass. The plum level on one end is just set in the wood in a round hole.
Has anybody seen a similar level, & can please tell me its use? Many thanks.James.jj777746

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello James,

The firm of Rabone and Chesterman are well known today as makers of Squares , Mitre Gauges and , as you say Spirit levels. I have a fine Mitre Gauge of their's made of Rosewood , Brass and Steel. Nice find.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
Paul
2,009 Posts
I have no info for you James but I would like to see pics of it... sounds interesting. I have a small level that comes in handy for hanging pictures or shelves etc.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't shed any light on the one you have but I have a number of small spirit levels and one digital one. I use the smaller levels when a larger one won't fit the area that I'm trying to level. I recently used an 8" plastic torpedo level (I also have a 6" one) to hang a small corner shelf on the wall and, as Paul mentioned, small levels are useful in hanging pictures.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for providing the information & advise. I may be able to post a photo or two in the future. Bob (@ sunnybob) shows a link which has an almost exact likeness of my level,the only difference is his is 2" longer than mine. Thank you Bob & everyone who offered information. I also have more old tools in my collection but my 3 foot hinged Rabone rule was stolen years ago darn it. James.jj777746

1 - 7 of 7 Posts