Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, i'm going to invest in a mitre lock cutter the only problem is my budget isn't to big so that gives me the choice between the 'rutlands' brand or the 'axminster' brand .Can anyone suggest which brand to go for? ...or is there another mid priced brand available in the uk? thanks Philip.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
989 Posts
Philip, just had a look at them on ebay, got to be well worth the trying if that's all they cost, try and use 1/2" shank if you can as a lot of strain goes onto this sort of bit, mine is a C.M.T. bit and excellent value it is.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
George's stuff is OK. I've lots of his bits. I just wish he was over here ! I get mine via kind friends travelling over here hand carrying stuff for me. Otherwise the weight tends to make the postage high and we get VAT and import duty levelled on not just the price of the tool, but the postage as well !

Before buying, note that there are two or three different sizes, depending on how thick the wood is that you are joining.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
989 Posts
That sort of makes a bit of a mockery of it after all, so I guess it's stick to uk bits after all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mitre joint cutters

Philip, just had a look at them on ebay, got to be well worth the trying if that's all they cost, try and use 1/2" shank if you can as a lot of strain goes onto this sort of bit, mine is a C.M.T. bit and excellent value it is.
Hi Derek,those C.M.T bits do look nice but my budget doesn't quite stretch that far at the minute ! Have you ever used the axminster 'tornado' bits or the rutlands 'axcaliber' bits? those would be more in my price range. Usually I would use the trend 'craft pro' range but there is A limited choice. Thanks Philip.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi Derek,those C.M.T bits do look nice but my budget doesn't quite stretch that far at the minute ! Have you ever used the axminster 'tornado' bits or the rutlands 'axcaliber' bits? those would be more in my price range. Usually I would use the trend 'craft pro' range but there is A limited choice. Thanks Philip.
Philip,
I have a number of Rutlands Excaliber bits and find they are quite adequate and if this is in your price range then I should go for it, remember that Lock Mitre bits cannot be re-ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That sort of makes a bit of a mockery of it after all, so I guess it's stick to uk bits after all.
As long as what you buy from the US is under the Customs & VAT threshold of £18 , (£15 from1 Nov 2011) its worth buying from the US provided the postage is reasonable. I have never had a problem buying stuff on ebay from the US.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Try the ones from MLCS, I have 2 of them and a CMT, all 3 sizes, vey useful, but make sure all your wood is of the same thickness!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts