Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there, I'm Robin. I'm supposed to do a presentation on underwater inspections and surveys. My preparation is going on and. It would be a great help if anyone could provide some information on Tunnel & Pipeline Inspections. Do they use any technologies for this? While searching online on this topic I happen to read about this Tunnel & Pipeline Inspections information and was quite informative and useful. If anyone has any knowledge on this, please mention it. Thank you.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
G'day Robin, welcome to the Router forum.

Casting a long bow on this router forum for that request. I have not seen that topic come up before.

Reactions: neville9999

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,932 Posts
In my industry we use very long borescope cameras, with little trolleys on the end to keep them centered in the pipe. Kind of like these Pipe Camera Accessories (fiberscope.net)

We also use divers to inspect the outside of the vessel in-between our scheduled drydockings. The biggest challenge is having clear enough and calm enough conditions for the divers or ROV's. Equally important is having a good diagram of the vessel exterior and openings, as well as well painted reference marks on the hull to help the diver get oriented.

I found an inspection video on youtube that shows "ideal" visibility. this isn't usually the case.

Under Water Hull Inspection and Cleaning of Ship | How Hull Cleaning of a Big Ship is Done - YouTube

Another way we do surveys is by rafting. This allows a physical up close inspection of high areas in a tank by filling it with water and floating on a raft. The video below shows this at about the halfway point.

Survey Simulator - YouTube

There are lots of resources out there on the web.

good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my industry we use very long borescope cameras, with little trolleys on the end to keep them centered in the pipe. Kind of like these Pipe Camera Accessories (fiberscope.net)

We also use divers to inspect the outside of the vessel in-between our scheduled drydockings. The biggest challenge is having clear enough and calm enough conditions for the divers or ROV's. Equally important is having a good diagram of the vessel exterior and openings, as well as well painted reference marks on the hull to help the diver get oriented.

I found an inspection video on youtube that shows "ideal" visibility. this isn't usually the case.

Under Water Hull Inspection and Cleaning of Ship | How Hull Cleaning of a Big Ship is Done - YouTube

Another way we do surveys is by rafting. This allows a physical up close inspection of high areas in a tank by filling it with water and floating on a raft. The video below shows this at about the halfway point.

Survey Simulator - YouTube

There are lots of resources out there on the web.

good luck
Oh, God. You reminded me of rafting in refinery tanks and towers. Not something you really like doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts