Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope everyone is having a great day. I am having an issue with an unintentional offsetting occurring while either on a pocket tool path or while attempting to rough out some 3d artwork. This offsetting has just recently started and i have tried redoing all the artworks and toolpaths from scratch and cannot seem to find the issue and hoping that someone out here can help out, so with that thank you in advance for any friendly advice.
I am currently using a shop sabre 23 model about 3 years old with no troubles so far, with vectric aspire software. During the course of this issue, the software was updated, uninstalled, re-installed and having the same issues, and to add to it appears to be a slightly worse issue.
i have checked the tooling and the machine as best as i am mechanically inclined and have not readily found anything that it could cause this.
To further add to the frustration i ran a test with creating a pocket around the letter A and it cleared the pocket without issue but when i recalculate and recut the problem job, the offsetting is back.
ill attach photos of the offsetting which is consistently occurring along the y and slightly in the x axis.
thank you

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
19,830 Posts
G'day @suture93 , welcome to the forum.
Someone who understands CNCs should be along to give you a hand.
CNC is a black art to me......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
it is odd that it is only occurring in X+ and Y- . have you tried a different font?

does the offset show up when you preview the toolpaths?
Thank you Tim, I agree that it is odd with the way that it is occurring as well. Yes i have and had mixed results. v carving is no issue appears normal. After some further testing it appears that the offset issue is occurring during all toolpath operations, that is profile, pocket, and roughing. After speaking with vecrtric this morning they reviewed all the files i sent and stated that the files are working correctly and pointing the error at the machine. i will be going over the entire machine today and doing further test to help determine the issue to see what it could be and waiting to hear back from shop sabre to see what they can offer as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
IF the toolpath preview does not show the offset, than you can likely eliminate the software from your troubleshooting. do you have stepper motors? if so, my guess is that they may be losing steps. maybe reduce your feedrate by a third and see what happens. are you using a roughing toolpath to remove the bulk of the material first?

my bad, i see that your title says roughing.... is the offset occuring during that tool path, or finishing toolpath?

are you using the same (tried and true) post processor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tanks you for the feedback, I have tried several machining methods including using a clearing pass and then following up with a smaller tool and also just doing a pocket tool path and ended up with the same results. Today the motors from the x and y were removed and shaped out to check for those missing steps and thr offset appears to remain the same, along the y axis. . Also checked the balls crew for any slop along the y axis and did not locate any and the jam nut attached to the gantry is pretty tight and also appears to not have any slop. I am leaning towards a software error in the controller settings and we, shopsabre, is taking a look at those to see what can be done. They have been a great help with tracking the issue and teying to fix it as well. Thank you guys for all the feedback and kind words.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This looks like it's a post processor problem as the cuts are too identical for you to be losing steps. Losing steps would be a random problem, and wouldn't give you the consistant cuts you're now getting. If you're running Aspire 11 then check to make sure you have the latest post processor for your machine. I know on several of my machines there are 3 or 4 different post-processors listed as V1, V2, V3, and V4.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the information, I have been thinking of trying a different post processor. I am currently using aspire 10.5 and wanted to upgrade to 11 but this issue has that move on hold until I can resolve it. I will be trying out some other things today to see what happens and possibly a different processor. Thank you again for the information

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for the information, I have been thinking of trying a different post processor. I am currently using aspire 10.5 and wanted to upgrade to 11 but this issue has that move on hold until I can resolve it. I will be trying out some other things today to see what happens and possibly a different processor. Thank you again for the information
Can you upload your file so it can be tried on a different machine with a different post-processor? I have 5 machines that run 3 different post processors, so would definitely be able to give you a more detailed answer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts