Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to this forum ad joined to get some ideas on a problem I have. I am too new to post pictures, but I would be happy to email some to someone if you need to see them. I took on a job that I can't figure out...high end motor home. The cabinet doors have a PSA burl maple veneer just on the raised portion of the panel. The bond has failed, and the veneer is wrinkled and ruined. I have successfully removed the veneer and glued new veneer on with a cold press veneer glue. My issue is how to trim the veneer flush? Every flush trim bit I have is too deep from the bottom of the blade to the bottom of the bearing...I have to use the raised panel edge as a guide, so I have about 1/16" under the veneer is all. Every door is a different size, so making a top guide template is not effective, and I doubt it could be lined up precisely anyway. To complicate a little more, they are arch top panels. Any ideas you could give me would be appreciated. I looked for a flush trim bit that did not have a bearing, like a shank guide, to no avail, and I bought a dremel router bit set..it was too deep too. I ground the dremel bit down to try to make it work, but no go there too. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Jay, first let me say Welcome to the Router Forums! I certainly have never found myself in your exact situation, but what comes to my mind after reading, yet not actually seeing your problem is: could you make a small thin gauge straightedge to position solidly yet temporarily under the cantilevering veneer and use an Exacto Knife / Tool or razor / utility knife to cut-off the offending segment(s) ?
Recently my wife had me building some "Hot Wheels" Race Tracks for several of the younger grandsons. The initial plan was for her to "finish" them with paint and decals. Well, she is much busier than me; so I ended-up doing some of the painting. Since I am a sloppy painter, I had to use a straightedge of hers - it was a short piece of very thin metal that I simply crammed into a corner and painted-along. I'm thinking you may need to do a method similar to this with thin sheet metal - maybe use a short piece of aluminum flashing and fashion some sort of handle to resemble a putty knife. COME TO THINK OF IT, A METAL-EDGED PUTTY KNIFE MAY BE ALL YOU NEED TO PREVENT OVER-CUTTING INTO YOUR FINISHED WOOD ADJACENT & BELOW!
I hope this helps! Soon, there will likely be other members that have had need for your exact scenario. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jay. You really don't have enough room below the veneer to use the raised panel as a guide. You could add a straight edge over the straight sides and use a top bearing bit. There are bearing guided mortice bits which have fairly short cutting edges that would work. For the curved sections I would try a very sharp skew chisel. You might have to dull the bottom corner to keep it from digging into the panel.

·
Official Greeter
20,236 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.