Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all , I was looking around one of our furniture stores and came across this unusual looking coffee table . I thought it looked kind of differant from the norm . Not something I want to build , but thought I would post it as I've never seen anything like it .
I guess they cut some trees and glued them together , then cut them threw a very large band saw to square them up?

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
Never seen anything like it either. Look at it one time, looks like it could be glued together; look at it again, looks like it is just one piece, cut up, and no other use for it. Either way, nothing I'd want in my house. Now if they'd cut slices from it, and used those as table tops, that would be something different - probably sell a lot better also. Bet that big chunk of firewood is expensive too, or at least a high price tag. Still, always interesting to see something different once in awhile.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Interesting, not to my taste either but a creative idea.
I think if I were going to make something like that, I'd start with an empty box as a form, fit the pieces together inside the box, and remove the box after the glue dries.
Actually what I'd really do is place another box inside the first after setting the pieces in the outer box, and pour epoxy in the gap between the two boxes.
Or what I'd really really do is make flat slabs of tree pieces set in epoxy, and then cut and assemble them into a table afterwards.
There may be a number of ways to approach this idea :) It's a good design if it gets you thinking in different directions.

·
Registered
Paul
1,859 Posts
Add in the forklift rental if it's as heavy as it looks.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
look close and you can see where it was glued up, I'm sure some wood turners would have been happy to get those pieces. N

1 - 9 of 9 Posts