Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my used Skil router in my table yesterday. I took the baseplate off, which was held by four 4mm screws. The screw holes that matched my router table, however, were way too big for the 4mm screws, and didn't fit a 5mm screw either. With a little fiddling about, I discovered that these holes were threaded 10-32!

Is mixing metric and SAE a common practice? I certainly didn't expect it, and can't remember ever seeing this in the past.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I installed my used Skil router in my table yesterday. I took the baseplate off, which was held by four 4mm screws. The screw holes that matched my router table, however, were way too big for the 4mm screws, and didn't fit a 5mm screw either. With a little fiddling about, I discovered that these holes were threaded 10-32!

Is mixing metric and SAE a common practice? I certainly didn't expect it, and can't remember ever seeing this in the past.
I ran into the same thing with my Freud 3000. The baseplate was held on with 4 M6 screws and, when removed, revealed three 1/4-20 tapped holes for the table mount:confused: Just chalked it up to one of those things I would probably be happier not investigating. :)
I am about ready to start retapping some of my bases to Imperial though. Seems like every time I try something that needs to be attached to the base, I'm hunting for metric screws which tend to be on the pricey side around here. I just picked up some M6x18mm today. Needed three but could only buy them in bags of two for $1.20/bag. That was at HD, ACE sold them by the piece for about 20 cents each but all they carried was cheese heads which are much to thick for mounting a baseplate.:(

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

At the risk of highjacking this thread,I have not encountered mixing metric and SAE in routers, tables, etc. but it is a significant problem for me and my wheelchairs past and present.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I can't recall any mixtures in my routers, but I have seen it in several other tools.
Lots of that going on in trucks and cars. With components made all over the world, it's to be expected, I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a previous owner had a problem finding metric screws and re-tapped them for what he had. Grainger sells a small set of metric screws for $3-4 and a larger set for about $20.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Canada, there is no problem finding metric screws. Most places have them in handy packs and individually.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
In the states you can fine just about any metric screws in the ACE hardware stores..
But for me I just about always take them out and put in the SAE type..most metrics are fine thread and they just hold well in Alum.

===

1 - 7 of 7 Posts