Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been active on much of anything for several months due to my feeling so punk after my heart surgery last summer. Due to this poor feeling I went back to the hear doctor recently to talk to him about it and he set me up for a stress test to see if the problem is with my heart or not.

I did the test last Friday, and got the results via phone this morning and was told that there is no significant abnormality with my heart and that I have an appointment with the doctor in May.

I don't know what excuse I'm going to use to lay around and be lazy. The fact is that I have been feeling better for the past several days. With the information that I just received I can and should start to make myself get in gear and be more active.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Can't be better news than that re your heart. Pleased to hear it and keep on truckin. looking forward to seeing your posts again.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Glad to hear the good results Jerry. Finnish getting your strength back so you are comfortable when heading to the shop.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Jerry...congratulations on your recent heart test...being normal is a good thing...although I'm not sure that any of us are "normal", especially on this forum... :)

So I'm thinking what you need is a good problem to get you off the couch (cudda said "off yur a$$)...

Let's break something and then fix it...you up for it...?

In seriousness, it'll be good to see you on the forum once again...I always enjoy reading your posts as they elicit thought from many members old and new...

Hope to "read" you soon...

Regards,

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Good to hear from you Jerry, Maybe you need to solve some problems in the shop before it gets too hot out there. Even just a stroll thu looking at your nice equipment and flip a switch on and off and listen to the whir of the motors will get you going again. I know after I have been gone from the shop for a few days,and just go there to get something ,I see something I should have put away and the next thing I am looking at something else then i start adjusting something, next thing I am working on something. Then I forget what I went there for and start a project.

Glad the ole ticker is performing well.

Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Jerry - just getting that news should make you feel better - no doubt you were stressed out over it, leading to your lethargy. So, as you said, no excuse, first thing to do is get your mind in gear - the body will follow.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is interesting how much better I began to feel after getting the good news. Felt so much better that I went to the shop and tried something that I have been pondering while laying in bed.

The issue has to do with the problems that I have had with the miter lock bit. I got to wondering about using a spline instead of the miter lock cuts.

Here was my thinking, I used some scrap soft wood to experiment with. The concept is to cut a workpiece that is 3/4" thick and in this case four inchess wide. I cut each of the two edges at 45 degree angles. Next I switchited the Incra LS 17" that I use on the router table around to create a fence left of TS blade that was still set at 45 degrees and cut slots in the 45 degree faces of the previous two cuts of the edges. Then I cut a spline to use in the slots.

Not a bad idea so far, but I need to try again. The problem that I ran into is that the position of the fence for the first cut was not exactly currect for the second cut and some very slight adjustment of the fence for that second cut needs to be made, or make two of the above described workpieces and make the cuts without doing further adjustment to the fence after making that first cut. After ripping the two workpieces in half, the two cuts in the first position should match and the same should be true for the other two parts. Will have to give it a try, just what I need right now as suggested by the posts that came from my friends on the forum. Thanks again guys.

This may not be a great idea or even a new one, but it did get my mind off of how I had been feeling and of course that was the idea, I'll try again tomorrow. I was only in the shop for about an hour but am definitely feeling better.

Anyway thanks for all the encouragement response to my thread about the matter.

I'm not giving up on the miter lock bit by the way.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You are back on track now Jerry. Keep going. My pains and stress go away when I work in my shop. Do more of it and you will feel even better, and this is coming from a guy who also had heart surgery a week and a half ago. A week ago Monday I ended up getting only 1 stent and they opened up a partially blocked 16 year old bypass artery this time, but technically I died on the operating table and they brought me back with the paddles. I was back working in my shop again today, but only for about 4 hours. I'll do better tomorrow.

Did they send you to a rehab gym after your heart surgery? I went to the one here in the hospital annex after each time that I had heart surgery (4 times now), and for the last two years I'm still going to the cardiac gym when I can, even though the prescribed rehab duration was completed. I can't do much, but I fast walk the track about 30 laps and use the recumbent exercise machine for about 1/2 hour each time and sometimes some of the other upper arm machines, 3 days a week. This old broken body has more wrong with it than just heart problems. Other gyms are cheaper, but I like having the nurses, emergency EKG cart, and the doctor upstairs available should I have problems while there. The other gyms seem to leave you there and not pay attention to you until you haven't moved for a 1/2 hour, and then they call 911 to get help. Going to this cardiac gym program also gets me out of the house at least 3 times a week, and I have made many new friends including 3 other woodworkers while there.

To answer your questions:

When making spline joints, I found that making a jig that slides in a miter slot of the table saw that holds each piece at the 45 deg angle for the cut end to sit flat on the table works better for me. Once positioned right for the cut it never needs any further adjustment, if making spline joints in the same thickness of wood. I just clamp each piece to it with the 45 deg edge of the board flat on the saw table and then make the cut. They all come out the same and very square.

Making the spline material is usually more difficult for me because it has to be just the right thickness and the grain needs to be oriented horizontally across the spline or at an angle approaching horizontal, which is opposite of the way grain usually runs in a board. If you make a spline with the grain running long ways it will be a very weak joint. It needs to run cross wise with the joint. I frequently use 1/8" Baltic Birch cut so that the surface grain runs at a 45 degree angle or closer to horizontal. This makes a very strong joint but it isn't as beautiful as using solid wood. It depends on what I'm making for this spline choice. Jewelry boxes and similar always get solid wood splines of a contrasting color.

Lock miter bits are very difficult to set up without a jig. Once you get it set right and you make some sample pieces for future set ups and you will be able to set it up quicker next time, but then you will frequently experience the center rib of the joint splintering as you cut the board edge. Finding a way to make the cut in several passes helps reduce this splintering, but you need a way to get the fence back to exactly where it was during the setup before you can make the final cut. Figure out a way to move the fence in several steps with a hard stop at the exact position needed to make this final pass and you should get a good clean cut with no splintering. You will also need to come up with a way to do the same thing for the router bit height so you can make the mating cut on the vertical board in several passes, with the last pass having the router bit at exactly the height you had during the setup. I have the Infinity Lock Miter Master jigs and have used them a couple of times, but I've kind of decided that these joints are too much trouble to make right due to the setup time and repeat cutting time required and I haven't made them in months.

Take care Jerry. Getting old is H***, but I don't like the alternative. Staying busy and keeping my mind off my problems seems to work best for me. It's the best advice that I can give
for this age/health thing.

Charley

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,350 Posts
Good news Jerry.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
eat an energizer a day Jerry and get better...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Alright ole boy, with all this laying around lately, your head ought to be about ready to explode!! :)

Most pleased to hear you've weathered all of the storms that have been down your way of late and are

now getting back into the swing of things. How's Vesta doin?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey, Jerry! Great news from your doctor, beautiful day, first class equipment. You're ready to roll. Looking forward to your upcoming projects / posts. I'm happy for you.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jerry you have to walk before you can run. Just start making as much sawdust at a time as you are comfortable with and try to work up from there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Jerry,
Good news on your heart, Now from someone who knows EXCERISE

I had reached 334 # and could not walk to the end of the drive without stopping to rest. I had weight loss surgery and got pneumonia. Bad time.

Immediately after I started walking a bit First to the end of the drive, Then to the corner. Then I g0t this big (73#) dog. We now walk a mile every morning and I go to the gym 3 days a week. Now at 200#. Best I have felt in yrs.

I use to hate exercise, now I consider it a necessary evil

Give it a try little bit at a time

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Yea, Gerry!
I must've missed the post about your surgery. But, it's great that you are on the mend and working in the shop.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts