Router Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Steve
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I finally finished outfitting my router table with some cabinetry and thought I'd share.
The first pic is the table as it was before I kicked the weekend off and finished with everything in place.
I was going to use ply for more of it, but the ply at my local big box was in short supply, and what they had was rubbish. I bought the melamine pieces at what ended up being half the cost of the ply. At least it doesn't start like a banana!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Looks good Steve, that's a busy weekend. It's unbelievable what they want for wood these days.

·
Registered
Steve
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good Steve, that's a busy weekend. It's unbelievable what they want for wood these days.
Thanks!
And that's if they can even have the stock. Right now it's harder to obtain, mostly I suspect because it has to come from overseas and we're apparently having dock worker issues in Australia right now preventing a lot of offloading.

Ah well, I achieved what I set out to do, so that's a win.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,344 Posts
Nicely done Steve.

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
I did find a place near Gosford that sold baltic birch ply some time ago.

Not sure if they are still there, but dear as poison...

·
Registered
Steve
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did find a place near Gosford that sold baltic birch ply some time ago.

Not sure if they are still there, but dear as poison...
Yeah, there's a place down near Kuring-gai too if I recall correctly. But again, not cheap.
I did find some really nice marine ply at a different Bunnings earlier in the year (pre-COVID) which I used on the buffet. Beautiful colouring and the quality was excellent. Not cheap, something like $177 a sheet, but for that project it was worth it.

This project is just a shop tool resource, so didn't need that luxurious a material! ;)

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
Nice work, Steve. That's a fancy cover for where the cord goes though.

·
Registered
Steve
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work, Steve. That's a fancy cover for where the cord goes though.
Thanks. Was something I just happened across while purchasing the handles and nabbed it as it seemed like a good idea. Figured the brushes would help keep the dust controlled.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Nice work Steve I like the clean lines and the white is nice and bright.

Reactions: 1fizgig

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
Great job Steve. Its a shame this apparently new and exciting forum software keeps turning pics sideways to this day :(
Maybe in 2030

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Wow Steve, I almost missed this. Very nicely done cabinet, and I bet it is a pleasure to use. Are you thinking of installing some T track to hold the fence in place? One side stays fixed, the other moves forward or back to set spacing. I like the brightness of the white.

·
Registered
Steve
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow Steve, I almost missed this. Very nicely done cabinet, and I bet it is a pleasure to use. Are you thinking of installing some T track to hold the fence in place? One side stays fixed, the other moves forward or back to set spacing. I like the brightness of the white.
Thanks Tom
I'm not sure on the T track yet. There's a few of those ideas rattling around in the back of my brain that I just haven't cohesively nailed down to a plan yet. Things like T track in the table top, fence, adding extra movable fence, stop blocks etc.
Thing is I don't want to get too complicated and try running before I walk. It's easy to over-engineer what I want to do before I even attempt it, so it's a sort of chicken and egg situation.
For the time being I'll let the ideas percolate until I find I'm ready to tackle something that will ad value to where I'm up to.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Thanks Tom
I'm not sure on the T track yet. There's a few of those ideas rattling around in the back of my brain that I just haven't cohesively nailed down to a plan yet. Things like T track in the table top, fence, adding extra movable fence, stop blocks etc.
Thing is I don't want to get too complicated and try running before I walk. It's easy to over-engineer what I want to do before I even attempt it, so it's a sort of chicken and egg situation.
For the time being I'll let the ideas percolate until I find I'm ready to tackle something that will ad value to where I'm up to.
One thing that can be very useful is a tall fence. It will make it much easier to shape the ends of your stiles on doors, and any other work you want to do on a tall or large piece. I really like the way Marc Sommerfeld works on his cabinetmaking, and he uses a tall fence in a really simple, but precise way. The vertical piece is backed by a square chunk of MDF and as he pushes it through, he simply holds the tall piece against the MDF. No tearout, simple method, In fact, all his videos are on YouTube and are on a wide variety of topics. I bought his set of DVDs so I can watch them at leisure before I try to do something new or something I haven't done for awhile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts