Router Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shaker inspired step stool. I have one my dad made in the 70s. The extended handle makes it super easy to move where you want - no more bending over. It gets used a lot. So much so that sometimes I have to search the house to find it.

So, I decided to make another and give it a somewhat updated look - especially for the legs. Of course, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. One of the things that I noticed from my Dad's version is the handle wasn't perfectly symmetric so a CNC cut template was in order. As long as I'm doing that, might as well do templates for all 4 different parts. And since I have the templates, I can easily crank out multiple copies. So, here it is. The one pictured was made from scrap plywood pieces and is for downstairs. There is also one in my shop. I have another in cherry that is in the process of being made.

The templates were cut out of 1/4" MDF with a vinyl facing which helps double sided tape stick better. The mortises were router cut with a 1/4" straight bit and guide bushing. Tenons were cut on the table saw - multiple pass method. The rest were template trimmed on a router table with a 3/8" trim bit. Excess stock was cut off on a bandsaw, handle hole excess on drill press. Handle and step top were secured with screws, base was glued.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.