Router Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a project made from small exotic wood scraps. There is no staining involved- the woods include Pauduak(red), Holly(white). Wenge(dark tail) Ebony(eyes-feet),Birdseye Maple(stems, body), Roasted Birdseye Maple(leaves). Bloodwood (neck). Yellowheart(flower),Thuya (dark head),Bubinga(light head),Sapele(upper wing area), Holly Heartwood(lower wing area), and Brazilian Ipe(lower stem blades). The sequence of hummingbird pictures shows the use of the initial picture from the web to modifications and outlining major color areas to the final wood re-creation.The other pictures are the ones used to make the flowers and leaves with the last picture roughing out the location of the stems. I usually print a picture of a subject from the web or from one that I have taken,. outline the cut areas with felt marker, take a picture of it with the iphone and tranfer it back to the computer to size it and run off several copies. I can then cut out each different color area to glue on the wood color selected for that part with particular attention to wood grain , direction of grain and texture. From that point on it is a lot of finicky fitting and sanding the individual parts that have been cut from the scroll saw and band saw. I usually glue the pieces together at the edges and then mount the entire picture on 1/4 inch birch plywood for strength and finish with spray on satin varathane.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Whew... beautiful...

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,323 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Now that sir is artful craftsmanship, the type I should like to one day do.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,834 Posts
Very nice Dennis. Beautiful work

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
All I can say is Wow!

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I really need to let the wife see this!!!

I'm positive I could weasel a few tools out of the deal :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Dennis.............unbelievably nice! Great work.
Bill............I've learned to not do that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Awesome is putting it mildly...Awesomalistic....

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,193 Posts
Beautifully done, Dennis. Thanks for walking us through the process of creating a pattern from a photo.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
146 Posts
This was obviously a class designed to develop a steady hand, eye-hand coordination and lots and lots of patience. Very nice work!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts