Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem a little silly, but I'm genuinely curious.

I make a large smoothie for my wife and I every morning. After burning up 3 blenders from a local kitchen wares store, I bought a $500 Vita-Mix blender to handle the job. It hasn't died yet, and has a 7-year warranty, so I am reasonably happy with it.

However, the motor's overheat protection kicks in each morning, and stops the motor. Most times, I am happy with the consistency of the blend, so I simply stop there anyways, but sometimes, there are still chunks, and I have to wait 1 minute before I can start the motor again to finish blending.

Anyone ever hear of someone rigging up a router table to do blending?

The Vita-Mix motor is 11 amps. I have a 11.5 amp Hitachi M12VC, though I think I would buy a 15amp Porter cable off craigslist for this. The bottom of the container has a star-pattern female coupling that fits into the base that spins the blade. I could theoretically make a "bit" that fits into my router, that could spin the blade.

My biggest concern would be that the blade/container may not be designed for the speed that a 15amp router can provide. I could keep the RPM low with a variable control. What I'm really after is not speed anyways, it is power, and the ability to work through a container full of breakfast ingredients without too much of a sweat.

What say you wise ones?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Eesh, how would you chuck up a blender blade to a router? You should make yourself a bicycle powered blender (do a search for it, they exist!) Don't burn out your motor though. ;)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi

They do make a blender that has a 15 amp.router motor in it but I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but it will blend up cell phones, so to say no need to reinvent the wheel it's been done..

=======

I make a large smoothie for my wife and I every morning. After burning up 3 blenders from a local kitchen wares store, I bought a $500 Vita-Mix blender to handle the job. It hasn't died yet, and has a 7-year warranty, so I am reasonably happy with it.

However, the motor's overheat protection kicks in each morning, and stops the motor. Most times, I am happy with the consistency of the blend, so I simply stop there anyways, but sometimes, there are still chunks, and I have to wait 1 minute before I can start the motor again to finish blending.

The Vita-Mix motor is 11 amps. I have a 11.5 amp Hitachi M12VC, though I think I would buy a 15amp Porter cable off craigslist for this. The bottom of the container has a star-pattern female coupling that fits into the base that spins the blade. I could theoretically make a "bit" that fits into my router, that could spin the blade.

My biggest concern would be that the blade/container may not be designed for the speed that a 15amp router can provide. I could keep the RPM low with a variable control. What I'm really after is not speed anyways, it is power, and the ability to work through a container full of breakfast ingredients without too much of a sweat.

What say you wise ones?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Surely an industrial induction motor would be the way to. I believe GE make them up to 2500 HP..........

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
How in the world do you burn up blenders making smoothies? I have a 20 something year old Hamilton-Beach blender that is still going strong. I have made hundreds of smoothies with it from full size ice cubes with no ill effects whatsoever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own 3 vita mix blenders and the motor should not be doing this if it is still under warranty I would get them to exchange it... If you are making peanut butter or something it is best to do short bursts so it has a chance to stay cooler but for smoothies with frozen fruit and veggies should not be a problem it can help to add little bits of water as it is blending if you see that it is struggling and using the mashing stir stick thing to get it all moving around

What say you wise ones?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've seen them available with weed whip engines, but I didn't take the time to see who is manufacturing them. When I saw the first one I assumed that it was a home made affair, but then I came across two more that were identical to the first. I never saw them in actual use though. I'll try to find out more about them.

Charley

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't blenders like blendtec designer use AC motors? If so, just reducing or chopping the voltage won't make them run slower...just with less torque and controlling AC motor speed control is not nearly as straightforward as DC motors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts