Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I cheat as much as possible when I make things and this Pirate’s Lair pub sign is no exception. The detailed artwork of the pirate is really a laser print of an Adobe Illustrator file cut out and glued in place. The rest of the project is standard cnc work. You can see in the photos how the sign progressed from cutting on the cnc to painting and then adding the artwork.

For the painting (all hand painted) I put down a base coat of color and when that was dry I used a dark glaze to add some antiquing before gluing the artwork in place with Modge Podge.

So where does the quilt making tool come into play, you ask. Well, my wife has a Brother Scan N Cut machine for cutting quilt shapes out of cloth. The machine will cut everything from paper to vinyl, cloth, and supposedly even light leather. And, the machine can scan your design, create a cutting outline, and then cut it out. The Scan N Cut is really a little cnc machine and cutting out the pirate was a cinch.

The final sign is 16” x 22” x 1.25” and was cut from one of Lowe’s glued up spruce panels.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Oliver
Another fine project, you got some real talent!

Reactions: hawkeye10

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
What kind of material was the pirate cut from?? Adhesive backed or did you have to glue it??

That cold weather made you put your thinking cap on!!

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of material was the pirate cut from?? Adhesive backed or did you have to glue it??

That cold weather made you put your thinking cap on!!
The pirate was cut from plain printer paper and glued in place. Once a top coat is applied it is well encapsulated and will last a long while. I have things I made that way that are over 40 years old and still look good.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very impressive Oliver. That Scan'n'Cut looks like a pretty neat device.
The Scan N Cut is a pretty nifty little machine, Andy. Considering it is a drag knife cutter cnc that sells for around $300, it's hard to beat. Brother has an online-based program that can used to create designs and convert SVG files into the Brother FCM format for cutting. It is also wireless so you can import and save your files either with or without a USB thumb drive.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is The Cricut machine the same type machine?
Yes, Gary, the Cricut machine is similar to the Scan N Cut in that they both will cut things out. The Scan N Cut has some distinct advantages. Here's a link to a good comparison of the two machines. Creative by Erin Bassett

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Beautiful sign, Oliver. How much do I have to pay you to make sure you never tell my wife about that machine? She has at least three Cricuts and has been drooling over the latest one for a while now...if she finds out about that Scan N Cut I'm dead....at least budget-wise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.