Router Forums banner
1 - 2 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of an odd use case but I'd appreciate any insights. I need to inlay holes 20mm wide and just 2mm deep into the end (the cross cut) of soft dowelling circa 25-30mm wide. Currently I use a quick vise, drill press and 20mm Forstner bit to do this, but it takes a lot of time lining things up.

I'm curious if I can use a router table for this, and simply (using a right angled jig) "drop" the dowelling vertically onto a bottom cleaning bit, thereby achieving the same thing? I imagine given it's only a 2mm depth, kickback won't be too material, and in any case the jig will provide some resistance?

I need to do a lot of these and hence I'm looking for a more efficient method than a drill press. Thanks very much for any insights that you have.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for your thoughts so far. Attached is a photo and diagram which make my query a lot more clear (I hope). My issue is that while I'm drilling into a flat surface, getting that surface level, such that the inlay is uniformly 2mm deep and 20mm wide, is tricky and time consuming. This is largely because the sides of the object are irregular, so they don't line up in a vice very well.

I think a router table might help, since I can simply push the object down vertically onto a bottom clearing bit until the object is flush to the table, as shown in the diagram. I haven't shown a jig on the diagram but I will make one to guide the object and prevent kickback. Note the inlays don't have to be perfect.

The reason I'm asking is a table and router are a big expense for me - and it would be great to know in advance if this will work.

Wood Engineering Gas Composite material Machine

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Logo

Attachments

1 - 2 of 15 Posts