Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jerry, I am having trouble following the discussion also. I do better with a photo or a diagram. If you have a diagram with all the terms labeled on it, then that makes the discussion much easier.

Regardless of that, I think I can answer the question. In a compound miter cut you have an angle cut across your board that is not vertical but is also angled. If you set the fence on your biscuit joiner to match that angle (the one not vertical), then you should be able to biscuit them together. When I say set your fence to match the angle I really mean set the fence so that the biscuit joiner is 90 degrees to the off vertical face.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Jerry, if you use that same wedge on your router table with a slot cutter the size you need you will be able to biscuit the pieces together. I would clamp stop blocks on either side of the router bit so that the piece stays centered on the cutter and you'll need to get the fence and bit height set correctly and then it is just a matter of pushing your board and the wedge into the cutter.

Everyone's brain processes information differently. Many times when someone asks a question on the forum about how to do something you'll see several different methods suggested for doing the job. The method that the poster chooses is the one that makes sense to them. It isn't always necessarily the one that I would choose but they feel it is the one that will work for them. In other words, not wrong, just different. You don't respond well to pictures, I don't respond well to text.

Oh yeah, you should be able to use the wedge with your biscuit joiner too. Just put the wedge and your piece on it on a bench and set the height on your BJ to where you want it and push it into the end of your board. It might be a three handed job but it is doable.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I do understand the rabetting problem. You could do it 2 ways. One would be to assemble the frame, let the glue dry, and then rout it with a rabbeting bit on the RT. You would probably have to chisel the corners out.

The other way would be on the table saw by angling the blade. The angle will either be the same one that you tilted to get the compound angle or its compliment (90 degrees minus the 1st angle is the compliment). If the angle is say 20 degrees you obviously can't angle the saw 70 degrees so it would be one cut with the board flat and the other one with the board standing. If you are using the wedge and you're not sure what the angle is just put it against the saw blade after you cut it and tilt the saw until it matches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.