Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting my woodworking activities and am worried about humidity in my shop. Is using a desiccant to prevent rust/corrosion on router bits safe. I am concerned about the effect on the carbide edges.

·
Super Moderator
675 Posts
to my knowledge, carbide does not rust.
as for desiccant packs, they have a very limited life span, depending on the environment they are in and must be replaced regularly - they do not last forever. You can not tell if they are good or bad just by looking at them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
IF humidity were a huge problem, I'd install a dehumidifier. I have one and it will remove a couple gallons of water from the house a day, though I'm in a relatively low humidity area.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
Welcome. For rust protection, get Boeshield. It's what Boeing uses to prevent rust and corrosion in aircraft parts. Very easy to apply and lasts a very long time. Available at Amazon. I live in a low humidity area during summer, but sometimes moist in winter. One application has lasted years. Not expensive and it doesn't affect your finish either.
Brown Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Bottle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome. For rust protection, get Boeshield. It's what Boeing uses to prevent rust and corrosion in aircraft parts. Very easy to apply and lasts a very long time. Available at Amazon. I live in a low humidity area during summer, but sometimes moist in winter. One application has lasted years. Not expensive and it doesn't affect your finish either. View attachment 402438
Thanks Tom. I am in South Carolina and the shop is an outbuilding, no heat or AC. I believe this is a fantastic solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts