Router Forums banner

Using desiccant in woodworking shops

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  George G 
#1 ·
I am just starting my woodworking activities and am worried about humidity in my shop. Is using a desiccant to prevent rust/corrosion on router bits safe. I am concerned about the effect on the carbide edges.

#2 ·
to my knowledge, carbide does not rust.
as for desiccant packs, they have a very limited life span, depending on the environment they are in and must be replaced regularly - they do not last forever. You can not tell if they are good or bad just by looking at them.

#4 ·
IF humidity were a huge problem, I'd install a dehumidifier. I have one and it will remove a couple gallons of water from the house a day, though I'm in a relatively low humidity area.

Reactions: jw2170
#5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

#6 ·
Welcome. For rust protection, get Boeshield. It's what Boeing uses to prevent rust and corrosion in aircraft parts. Very easy to apply and lasts a very long time. Available at Amazon. I live in a low humidity area during summer, but sometimes moist in winter. One application has lasted years. Not expensive and it doesn't affect your finish either.
Brown Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Bottle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.