Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This introductory "hello" will also convey my dilema. I have been planning a project to install European (hidden) hinges on all kitchen cabinets. I have also wanted to get a router for a while so thought I would combine the two objectives and use the plunge router to make the holes for the hinges, as I have 62 to install. A Forstner bit came with the box of hinges, but the 3/8" shaft won't fit my new Rigid router. The collet takes either 1/2" or 1/4" but nothing between. My question(s): is a Forstner bit not intended for use with a router? If it is, can I not get a collet adapter for 3/8" similar to the 1/4" adapter? The salesman at Home Depot (where it was purchased) said no. The widest straight cut router bit I've seen is only 3/4" and I need 35mm or 1-3/8" Any advice?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Steve, Forstner bits are definatly not for use in a router, these bits are designed to bore at a much slower speed than a router can produce. You would only manage to burn the bit very fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jimmie. I guess I'll have to find a template or jig to use with my drill for the hinges... and plan some other projects for my new router.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Official Greeter
19,375 Posts
This introductory "hello" will also convey my dilema. I have been planning a project to install European (hidden) hinges on all kitchen cabinets. I have also wanted to get a router for a while so thought I would combine the two objectives and use the plunge router to make the holes for the hinges, as I have 62 to install. A Forstner bit came with the box of hinges, but the 3/8" shaft won't fit my new Rigid router. The collet takes either 1/2" or 1/4" but nothing between. My question(s): is a Forstner bit not intended for use with a router? If it is, can I not get a collet adapter for 3/8" similar to the 1/4" adapter? The salesman at Home Depot (where it was purchased) said no. The widest straight cut router bit I've seen is only 3/4" and I need 35mm or 1-3/8" Any advice?
G'day Steve

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Steve, Good to see you here. Hope you get all your questions answerwed..

·
Registered
10,714 Posts
Steve welcome to the RouterForums. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using Forstner bit with router

Welcome to the forums. You could always get a small table top drill press to use the forsnter bit in.
Thanks but Ive ordered a hidden hinge router template, as I'm more interested in using my router than my Forstner bit. I did one door with the Forstner and a cordless hand drill using a template I made for the job. It worked out OK but a router template with the plunge router will be much faster and safer (avoiding too deep a hole) and will give me a chance to get familiar with the router. I read a few reviews of the router template on line. One reviewer claimed to make 75 holes in an hour. Sounds pretty efficient to me. Thanks for all your helpful posts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts