Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
drawing board digitizing parts

started by making a 8 in cardboard model,then a 24inch heavy cardboard model and then a full size 1/4 plywood profile
after all sorts of changes I have the horse on cart ready for shaping out of solid wood
24 pieces of 2x6's laminated and fitted all glue mostly as I will be using a 4.5 grinder with a carbide head and I don't want to hit a screw.
His name is penetangore and he is 12 hands high ,and in the spring he will be tied up to my front gate outside the shop
watching the traffic go by
But the work is just starting

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yikes...

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Nice job as always Stan . Definitely something I haven't seen done before

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Having gone this far, what would you do differently?
Could a smaller piece been used for that digitising step and then enlarged via the computer?

Thanks for the video.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Very interesting. Have to admit though that I think you could do something similar by doing a detailed drawing, projecting it on material, and then manually cutting, gluing and then carving it out.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Very interesting. Have to admit though that I think you could do something similar by doing a detailed drawing, projecting it on material, and then manually cutting, gluing and then carving it out.
The newer and now cheaper LED projectors make this entirely possible.
I used to take b&w of designs, project the negative and trace for very good results.

Attachments

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I used to take b&w of designs, project the negative and trace for very good results.
That's a great idea Ralph ;)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Awesome, Stan! Can't wait for progress pictures.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its coming along slowly I just ordered a new grinder attachment from arbortech called the turbo plane

wooden horse part 2 jan 2016

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Absolutely fascinating watching as this progress's. I would think that one has to be relatively familiar with a horse's anatomy/muscular structure before attempting something like this?????

you might want to look into padded weight lifting gloves to help with the fatigue on your hands. I spent a couple months with a hammer drill in my hands drilling into ceramic tile a few years back and they made all the difference in the world....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
this is something...
KUDOS...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Damn boy...you do nice work! I'm one of those guys who thinks that glass etching's make for beautiful architectural enhancements.

This reminds me of a friend I had back in the early 80's. He would do glass door etchings with some kind of acid. Did beautiful work and he was as busy as he wanted to be. Folks loved it and I believe now had he pursued it, he could have made a good living at it. But hind sight is 20/20 as they say...we were young, stupid and doing things we probably shouldn't have been doing...what may have easily provided him with a good living quickly turned into an after thought and all was lost to those things in life when your in your 20's you regret when your in your 50's and 60's...

Reactions: rwl7532

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The things we can today are amazing and affordable.
We can work with plasma, laser and milling machines all connected to computers which makes the diagram easy
and a controlled better cut
I only wish I could have done this back in the 80's especially the 3d wood plaque cuts ,these would have sold , they do not now
theater face
or a gasket copy ands accurate

cutting a gasket

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
you are accomplishing quite the endeavor...
very nice...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts