Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Is it a good idea to use lime wax under Danish oil on a kitchen worktop? In other words is it hygienic and durable?

I am actually planning on using Worktop Oil (made by Rustins) which I believe is the same as Danish oil but less yellow.

It is going on a solid Oak Worktop (90mm staves) . I have already put 3 coats of Danish oil on it. I am not happy with it so am going to sand it off, apply limewax, then work top oil. I am looking for a lightish whitish, not yellow finish.

.. is this wise.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,917 Posts
Hello Adam welcome to the forum.
Usually after you apply wax you can't get oil to absorb into the wood my belief is oil and wax do not mix well

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,946 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Adam, I´m certainly no expert by any means but I think you will fail sanding the finish off because the wood already soaked the oil, you can still apply wax for protection, just remember to wipe the excess after a few minutes.

BTW I´m new to the forum too!!

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for joining us, Adam.

Just a reminder that you do not need 10 posts to upload your photos from your PC to the forums. Click the go advanced button and you will find a button that says manage attachments. Select this and you will be able to upload your photos.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Hello Adam, I´m certainly no expert by any means but I think you will fail sanding the finish off because the wood already soaked the oil, you can still apply wax for protection, just remember to wipe the excess after a few minutes.

BTW I´m new to the forum too!!
Welcome, also, Fer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your comments and welcomes. I think I will just use the oil and not the lime wax. I agree that sanding it off could be painful. The advantage is I am replacing Danish oil with worktop oil so - the same base, just not so yellow. I think I don't have get all of the Danish oil off before I re-coat with worktop oil... but we shall see.

Great Forum BTW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts