Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I am old enough to remember how this was the way most things were done. I was nearly ten years old before we had electricity at the farm. I don't remember the same sound effects. LOL

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Can any of you younger power tool guys ever imagine building a house w/o power tools? Cutting everything with handsaws,chisels and hatchets, nailing everything with hammer and nails,and not bending the nails or leaving hammer marks? Figuring out angles with framing squares and then hand sawing roof framing with handsaws? Plumbing things verticle with plumbbobs, smoothing with hand planes. Drilling holes with a brace and bit, or breast drill and auger bit? All the lumber was solid no plywood, big knots in places where you had to hand cut.
All the beams and joist were cut by hand, along with all the blocking?

And then imagine the concrete for the foundation was mixed by hand in a box with hoes.

A lot of these houses are still standing too.

A lot to be said for hand tools.

Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Can any of you younger power tool guys ever imagine building a house w/o power tools? Cutting everything with handsaws,chisels and hatchets, nailing everything with hammer and nails,and not bending the nails or leaving hammer marks? Figuring out angles with framing squares and then hand sawing roof framing with handsaws? Plumbing things verticle with plumbbobs, smoothing with hand planes. Drilling holes with a brace and bit, or breast drill and auger bit? All the lumber was solid no plywood, big knots in places where you had to hand cut.
All the beams and joist were cut by hand, along with all the blocking?

And then imagine the concrete for the foundation was mixed by hand in a box with hoes.

A lot of these houses are still standing too.

A lot to be said for hand tools.

Herb
yes....
circa 1960, 1st circular saw...
1962, 1st table saw... (1944 Unisaw)
prior to that it was all hand tools...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can say is " I am Spoiled"!

It has been a VERY long time since I have used hand tools as shown in that video. Must have been in high school shop class.

No I won't tell you what year that was LOL.:grin:

·
Registered
365 Posts
His tools look like they are new. My hand tools are rusty but if I had to use them all the time, I am sure they would look better. I noticed he did not need to have a jig to do the dado and not edge guide to rip the board. I would get even less done if I had to do it that way yet.
Allen

·
Registered
657 Posts
I clearly remember my father using hand tools to make some furniture for us, and I also remember the glue wasnt any white/yellow glue like this days, the glue was calling "COLA" in my country, and with an ugly smell :surprise:.

I still have some of that hand tools, the other with my brothers.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I clearly remember my father using hand tools to make some furniture for us, and I also remember the glue wasnt any white/yellow glue like this days, the glue was calling "COLA" in my country, and with an ugly smell :surprise:.

I still have some of that hand tools, the other with my brothers.
You might be referring to a FIsh glue, even some of the old hide glue would get rancid, maybe depnded on what kind of hide they used and how much of the animal was still in the glue.HAHAHAHA

Also the first power tools were big, heavy,clumsy, and very few safety features. The sleek,light weight over safe tools we have today are a dream come true.

Herb

Herb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts