Router Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well I took off my thumb nail and ended up on the floor and sprained my wrist and because I have problems getting up, I stayed there until my wife found me.
Hi Ian

You may be making a case for lateral thinking. A hand conventional hand held router, even a D-handle one requires a two hand hold and a stable stance. Using 1/2in plunge routers (sorry gents, but in the UK plunge is about all you'll get in 1/2in), with all the extra weight and power (and torque reaction that comes from that power) adds to the potential problems. There are two approaches I can think of - firstly a back-handle router and secondly an overhead (pin) router. Of the former I can only think of two models still on the market, the Festool OF1010 (which replaced the earlier OF900 and OF1000 models) and the Mafell LO50e which is is possible to us one handed and which aren't overly heavy:

Above: Festool OF1010 8mm plunge router
Below: Mafell LO50e 8mm plunge router

If you think they look similar it's because they are both made by Festool.....

In use, except for making the plunge, these routers are easily controlled single handed if needs be:

At 1000 and 900 watts respectively (I think) they have enough power to handle a lot of routing tasks without getting bogged down and they are considerably less "tippy" in use that laminate-trimmers or those "palm routers" such as the DW611 derived from them. Elu used to make an even lighter model, the 600 watt MOF67, but as they haven't been made since the late 1980s or early 1990s I think you'd struggle to find one.

Of course it is possible to get a heavier back-handle router, the one known example being the Festool OF1400:

but that comes with a lot greater power and a lot more weight to manage.

The other possibility might be to consider some form of overhead pin router, such as the ShopSmith attachment

or one of the many home-made add-ons for radial arm saws and drill presses seen around the web. With an overhead router you don'y have to hold the router's weight, only the weight of the material - and not even that iy your support table is big enough. I can confirm that to use a pin router (industrial in my case) for a day is somewhat less tiring than using a hand-held 2000 watt plunge router for the day, assuming the same rate of working (which in reality doesn't happen - you tend to work much faster on a pin router). Of course the other way is to attach your router beneath a table.....

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new here and have mostly been lurking, but I am also disabled (or so the US Gov't says, and they send me a check for it). I was injured at work in 2008 (Proctor and Gamble, Folgers Plant), and require back, neck, wrist, and elbow surgeries, and still do, haven't had the guts to do any of them as of yet. Now that I have my SSDI approved I will slowly get them done.

I am also on strong pain meds (Oxycodone 30mg, Hydrocodone 10/650, and at night I take a Soma and a Xanax to help me sleep). I have slowly built a tolerance to these meds over the last few years and am at the max dose of each. I dread one day having to go through the withdrawals of these strong opiates when I am finally fixed, but sometimes I could not even get out of bed if it were not for these meds!

I recently found woodworking (much to the chagrin of my girlfriend) and it has really piqued my interest. It is so very therapeutic to me, and I refuse to give it up due to being on medication. The pain meds do not have a sedating feeling to me, but the opposite, they give me incredible energy, and help me to focus even more on safety. I did have a near miss yesterday on the router table, but I am new to it, and it had nothing to do with my meds.

I look forward to learning much about this hobby and being the best I can at it. I am also in my 2nd semester of College (Occupational Therapy Major), because I do not want to be on SSDI for the rest of my life! Although woodworking is cutting into my study time, I am still doing great and cannot wait to get back into the work force. I am just glad to have found this very satisfying hobby, and forums like this to help people like me.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Rob.

As you have discovered, routing is not a hobby to be taken lightly even for us in the lucky position not to be on medication. [but it does not take much to change that situation].

·
Registered
104 Posts
Some regular meds are tricky

There are some meds that can cause a person to have problems that could affect them in doing woodworking but I'm not talking about painkillers and the like. I was taking zetia for high cholesterol and it caused extreme disorientation in me. But this came out of left field because it was not known to do so at the time. My sister had the same problem with it. She didn't know about my taking it, so that seems pretty clear. I got so disoriented driving that I couldn't figure out where I was :wacko:, even though it was an oft traveled route that I'd traveled for years. The doctor didn't know about this side effect. Now I think there's been some reports of these problems (cognitive difficulties).

The message is that many drugs, not just the usual suspects, can have effect that are unexpected, and it's wise to be on the lookout when taking a new drug.

One explanation for the cholesterol drug causing this is that it messes with the production of various brain chemicals. Cholesterol is used a lot by the brain for good things, it doesn't just clog arteries. Just a word of warning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lagta Hai, Ye Saale Saare Ke Saare Apni Maa Ki Tukai Karvaane Aaye Hain...

Hey Guys, I can you understand this reply, if not please tell me, it is written in Hinglish. I will translate.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yes please, translation much appreciated!

Regards

Phil

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
hahah, Phil.. Lily says she is a school teacher?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well, it's all "Dutch" to me, James......

·
Registered
Theo
7,161 Posts
Missed this thread before somehow. I have arthritis, bad joints, and a 24/7 headache since 1980. That all translates as daily pain, sometimes not so much, sometimes a lot. When my joints are giving me seven kinds of Hell, I stay out of the shop, because I figure I might make a mistake using a power tool. I do not take pain meds of any type; however I do take a daily dose of five baby aspirin for the heart - never had heart problems, and hope to never have any. Instead, for the pain, I meditate. When I was in my 20s I read a lot on various subjects, including various forms of meditation, The Third Eye, religions, and so on. Most of it I considered BS, but eventually developed my own meditation version, I think it might also include a bit of bio-feedback, evolving thru the years. Among other things, I can usually reduce my heartbeat if needed, lower my blood pressure, and other simple things. When I am at the dentist and the pain shot starts to wear off, I can usually push the pain away, but if my concentration is broken, it comes back, fast. Can't say meditation will work for you, but so far it has for me.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts