Router Forums banner

Using round-over bits

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Dorisz11 
#1 ·
Hi folks--

Have a question for the site. I'm building a deck, and wish to use a round-over bit to trim the outer edge of the fascia board for the edge of the deck. I've purchased a set of Skil roundover bits (1/4, 3/8, & 1/2 inch, with axial bearings). I'm going to wind up with approx. 100 ft of fascia, and would like the final edge to be the 1/2" round.

I was taught that routing is done a bit at a time--I do a lot of dovetail work and Japanese notch construction--but I've never used a roundover bit.

My tendency is--as I'll be using a hand router--to use the 1/4" bit, then the 3/8" bit, and finish with the 1/2" bit.

Thus, the question: Is this the way to approach the problem? Would multiple passes introduce inconsistency in the work, or would it be better to just use a single bit (the 1/2") slowly and carefully? (This is treated lumber.) Either way, I'm going to look like a cinnamon donut when I'm finished.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Steve

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi Steve

I would suggest one bit and make a pass or two,the treated lumber likes to split out easy so I would suggest using the pocket type way, that's to say go into the stock every 6" or so to stop the splits, than go over the pocket to clean it up..on the 1st pass , the 2nd pass will give you a nice clean job..I will say don't go to slow or you will get burn marks...let the bit do it's job like it was made to do...:)

I should note ,,,keep you dust mask on all the time, that stuff is nasty stuff, it's treated to keep the bugs away..and you too if you take it in..:(

=======

#4 ·
Re: round-over bits

Hi Steve

I would suggest one bit and make a pass or two,the treated lumber likes to split out easy so I would suggest using the pocket type way, that's to say go into the stock every 6" or so to stop the splits, than go over the pocket to clean it up..on the 1st pass , the 2nd pass will give you a nice clean job..I will say don't go to slow or you will get burn marks...let the bit do it's job like it was made to do...:)

=======
Bob--

Bingo--great idea about the pockets. I was concerned about the splitting. Starting high and dropping the same bit--the normal approach to routing--didn't occur to me with three brand new bits.

Thank you, sir!

Steve

#5 ·
HI Steve - Welcome to the forum:)
Looks like the guys have you fixed up. Just one tip, especially with treated lumber, have some bit cleaner on hand for when you are finished. Your bits will love you for it:D

#6 ·
John--Bit Cleaner?

John-- what type of bit cleaner? I've never used a two part--three, if you include the axial bearing and the allen (hex) nut--router bit before. Are we thinking a nice WD-40 bath (and not a shower?). I have no idea about the care of multiple part bits!

Thanks--Steve

#10 · (Edited)
While the bearings on the router bits are the sealed type, it just means they have a dust shield that just keeps out most of the dirt. Dirt still finds a way to get past this & they can be lubricated. They sell a bearing lube just for this purpose. Here's a few links to some products I found on the Google for lubricating these types of bearings found on router bits. I have used some of these to get a bearing that feels a little sluggish to spin freely again.

Lubes
Bearing Lubricant - Rockler Woodworking Tools

MLCS Woodworking Accesories

Router Accessories

#12 ·
Hi James

Next time you have one that's a bit sluggish, take a hard look at the seal on the bearing that's the part that is dragging the bearing down, the lube will free the seal a little or to say lube the seal but not the bearing inside ...if you have a old bearing cut it into two parts and you will see what I mean :) the pitch on the seal is the error with most bearings, if you spin the bearing and you fell the bearing has flat spots on the bearings it's time to replace it :)

========

While the bearings on the router bits are the sealed type, it just means they have a dust shield that just keeps out most of the dirt. Dirt still finds a way to get past this & they can be lubricated. They sell a bearing lube just for this purpose. Here's a few links to some products I found on the Google for lubricating these types of bearings found on router bits. I have used some of these to get a bearing that feels a little sluggish to spin freely again.

Lubes
Bearing Lubricant - Rockler Woodworking Tools

MLCS Woodworking Accesories

Router Accessories

#13 ·
Hi guys--

Using all of your suggestions, the roundover bit on the treated lumber worked very well.

I did make multiple passes with the same bit, and saw no splitting of the treated lumber.

As the bit-set I purchased came with an allen wrench, I removed the axial bearing, cleaned it out, and just cleaned everything with a WD-40 soaked rag. All dried, re-assembled, and ready to rout another day!

Thanks all so much!

Steve

#14 ·
Is this the way to approach the problem? Would multiple passes introduce inconsistency in the work, or would it be better to just use a single bit (the 1/2") slowly and carefully? (This is treated lumber.) Either way, I'm going to look like a cinnamon donut when I'm finished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.