Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to health problems, I haven't touched my cnc for 9 months.

While cleaning my shop yesterday, I noticed several pieces of 1/2" & 3/4" thick red oak laying in a box. I started thinking of way to use it rather than throwing on the burn pile. I remembered a Michael Tyler Vectric file that I downloaded, Critter Phone Stands. I had enough scrape to make 12 of these. Since there are several cat lovers in my family, including my wife & daughter, I made 8 cats, 2 rabbits & 2 squirrels. With a very small amount of sanding, some ca glue and clear acrylic spray, they were all done in 3 hours.

My daughter loves her black cat and has it setting on her desk at work. Naturally all of her co-workers want one!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what's not to like...

Reactions: jj777746

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Great idea . There’s so many cat lovers that I could see that being a great seller

·
Registered
372 Posts
What is this "scrap" wood you speak of? Never seen a "scrap" tree.

Seems like the carefully curated small pieces of wood you saved from previous cuts were used exactly as you brilliantly foresaw they would be. Start referring to it as scrap and someone may interfere with your careful filing system and it may start disappearing like "spare" tape measures or "duplicate" 10mm sockets. Treat all shop acquisitions as "vital" and "one of a kind", whether wood or tools. I know people with more routers than bits, none are "extra".

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is this "scrap" wood you speak of? Never seen a "scrap" tree.

Seems like the carefully curated small pieces of wood you saved from previous cuts were used exactly as you brilliantly foresaw they would be. Start referring to it as scrap and someone may interfere with your careful filing system and it may start disappearing like "spare" tape measures or "duplicate" 10mm sockets. Treat all shop acquisitions as "vital" and "one of a kind", whether wood or tools. I know people with more routers than bits, none are "extra".
If my wife could get down to my basement workshop the "small pieces of wood" likely would disappear! lol

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hi, Bob.
Hope you have been recovered from your health problems.
Those phone holders are nice. I have no CNC but I love to make these kind of jobs as a gifts for friends and familiar groups.
And Richard is right: Never seen a "scrap" tree.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Google "Outline Drawings of Small Animals" for stuff you can trace. Some really cute shapes.

Paint rabbits pink for kiddos, Black for teens, polka dots for the eccentrics, green for the rich uncle and white if you want the kids to paint them themselves. Give them a brush and a small jar of water based paint. Their parents will love ya for it. Or maybe if you use washable white paint, then they could color them with crayons--worth a quick test?

This is a really neat idea, and still time to complete before Xmas. If you cut a small half inch slot where the phone sits, it becomes a vertical charging station.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Scrap wood can have many uses. I remember finding some short pieces of 2x4's in my shed that were left over from when I built it...in 2001-02 or there abouts.

Instead of chunking them, I ripped them up and made small crates. Some were gifts, some are being used to organize movies, and some are hard at work in my bathroom closet storing "stuff"! :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts