Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to woodworking and routing.

This morning I put a full 3/8 inch roundover bit on 6 feet of pine x 4 using one of those carbide tipped Ryobi roundover bits that come in their kit (in a single pass). I went fairly slow and smooth. All went well.

However, it occurred to me that perhaps 3/8 roundover is too much material to take off in a single pass?

Is there such a thing as taking off a rounded corner in multiple passes?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

3/8” roundover bit used in one pass on pine.
Drinkware Tableware Bottle Glass bottle Barware

Full 3/8 radius cut on both sides of 3/4” board makes a semi circle. Nice.
Wood Rectangle Grey Beige Flooring

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
… I usually do it in at least two steps, often three just to make certain the final pass is a very light cleanup and leaves a really nice edge.
Thanks for your contribution. Useful advice for furniture etc.

My primary objective was to minimize splinter hazards from a long board that I am using to mount my cordless tools 18v lithium batteries on to. I am more concerned that perhaps a single pass of 3/8” roundover bit would dull the bit or wear out the router motor prematurely?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pine is pretty soft and forgiving. But I tend to do multiple passes, about 1/8th per pass. For such a small roundover, I'd probably tape a thin strip to the edge and make one pass, remove the strip the bearing rides on, than do a final pass…
rather than use and thin strip on the edge, can the same be accomplished sequentially trimming a piece first with a 1/8 , then 1/4, and finally a 3/8 roundover bit for example?

Also, I purchased my Makita cordless brushless router at Home Depot for $130. (I could have done a Home Depot promotion kit hack and purchased a 4maH Makita for $65 had I returned the promotional Makita multitool that came free with the battery).

I own a new corded DWP611 Dewalt Palm router, but once you hear the sweet purring of the Makita cordless brushless router, you won’t used the Dewalt. I bought the corded Dewalt palm router to make wood signs tho. as long as I use double hearing protection, I should be OK. But yes, I highly recommend the Makita cordless. It has a plunge base option that feels professional quality.

This Makita cordless kit I put together includes a plunge base, tilt base, sign making base and bit depth gage - both from Eric Rhoten, and a bushing adapter for the plunge base. Finally a large Makita systainer case and Kaizen foam custom insert. About $400 altogether.

I call it “Retail Therapy”. Cheaper than a few sessions with a therapist - and MUCH more productive.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts