Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so fed up with the US Postal Service, especially when it comes to delivering packages. This is the 3rd time in as many months they screwed up. The latest FUBAR is the package got to the regional distribution office last Weds and they couldn't get it to me by Saturday. Now, it's scheduled for next Weds. Arrrg. Second late package delivery of 2016.

Prior to that, I mailed my brother's Christmas present on Dec 11. On Jan 11, it is return to me as "undeliverable". This is to the address that my brother has lived at (and received US mail) for 20 years. Not only that, the package was beaten up and the contents trashed. The address was very clearly written on the package.

Before you all say "you should have used FedEx or UPS", I should have used FedEx or UPS. It was a moment of weakness. I mean, how hard could it be? There was plenty of time. And the post office was "easy". Never mind that the automated package thing was broken so I had to stand in line to wait for one of the USPS issue robo-lethargic clerks. They say their hiring is a reflection of America - if so, we're doomed to a listless has-been also ran echo of a country.

Lesson learned. screw the USPS.

There, I feel MUCH better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I worry that all post is going to get worse as a society we are shipping more and more with systems that aren't built to handle the volume and slow to adjust.

What gets me frustrated is when UPS uses USPS to deliver the package to my door. It's never on time often taking an added two days and UPS's tracking service calls it delivered since they are no longer handling it. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
We had a package delivered to a wrong address or kept by someone at the USPS because the USPS was too lazy to look up the correct address. Someone got a nice Bob the Builder watch. However, UPS recognized the address was wrong, confirmed the correct address, and delivered two packages on two different occasions. Phil, we know what you mean.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I think everyone has a nightmare story about the USPS. It used to be so professional and dependable. This last Christmas I sent 5 cards to the same address for different recipients on the same day and only 3 got there before Christmas , the other 2 were 2 weeks late. the late ones were marked insufficient postage, and they all had the same stamps on them.

But, talking to people from other countries, especially central and S. America, our postage system is far superior to theirs. They have problems with the postal employees not delivering unless they are paid to, opening packages and letters and taking valuables, constantly "losing" the mail, etc.

So it could be worse. We are heading that direction.

Herb

·
Registered
577 Posts
We should form a I hate the USPS club. Because screw up is about all they do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I utilize the USPS, FedEx, and UPS for deliveries.

Guess what?

At various times, they all have screwed up! Considering the millions of packages that these 3 move every day, fecal matter is bound to happen.

And the Christmas holiday season always is a mess due to amount of packages moving through the system. My hunch is that the sorting, delivery, tracking systems, etc., were never designed or even considered the amount of packages and mail that now are handled and delivered every day.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You know what? you lot dont know youre born.
Try our postal service here in Cyprus. Delivered by a student, when he isnt at college or out with his mates, he saves the mail up till theres enough to make the effort to deliver. he rides a 50cc suzuki landy twist and go(40 years old) with the mail open to all weathers in a basket on the front. Stuff left on the wall only 6" from the letter box i have to have on the outside wall because they wont deliver to the door. If I'm away on holiday, does he care? Often late, occasionally never arrives.
Anything arrives here from abroad, you have to go to the port and open the box in front of the customs man, who checks the contents against the invoice and then charges you import duty and tax on the contents AND shipping costs.

The funny part is, whenever i got stuff from the USA delivered to the UK, i LOVED USPS! Always arrived, and always quickly. I HATED knowing it was ups, because i knew they would want to charge me 50% of the value for some paperwork they had invented for no other reason than to steal money from me.

Whatever happens, someone is gonna moan, somewhere.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, there are 2 different USPS organizations - 1st class and steerage, er, I mean parcel post. Anything sent 1st class is pretty well taken care of, mainly because they use machines to sort. You can send up to 1 lb first class (there are other restrictions, though). I buy my bits from RouterBitWorld. They ship 1st class and it always gets here in about 2 days. However, parcel post is a different story and UPS/FedEx run rings around them. I've had maybe 2 or 3 problems with UPS/FedEx delivering hundreds of packages over the years. USPS parcel post, a lot fewer and maybe 25% have been messed up deliveries. That's way too high.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I am so fed up with the US Postal Service, especially when it comes to delivering packages. This is the 3rd time in as many months they screwed up. The latest FUBAR is the package got to the regional distribution office last Weds and they couldn't get it to me by Saturday. Now, it's scheduled for next Weds. Arrrg. Second late package delivery of 2016.

Prior to that, I mailed my brother's Christmas present on Dec 11. On Jan 11, it is return to me as "undeliverable". This is to the address that my brother has lived at (and received US mail) for 20 years. Not only that, the package was beaten up and the contents trashed. The address was very clearly written on the package.

Before you all say "you should have used FedEx or UPS", I should have used FedEx or UPS. It was a moment of weakness. I mean, how hard could it be? There was plenty of time. And the post office was "easy". Never mind that the automated package thing was broken so I had to stand in line to wait for one of the USPS issue robo-lethargic clerks. They say their hiring is a reflection of America - if so, we're doomed to a listless has-been also ran echo of a country.

Lesson learned. screw the USPS.

There, I feel MUCH better.
Good, I do feel for you, and yes, I think that you are seeing previews of things to come. I'm glad that I am not young person, but there again, young people don't know about the days when the world was better, all they know is what we have today.

I should have said, "don't get me started",

Jerry

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a 24 year UPS employee, I just have to smile. No we aren't perfect. I see the quality of our warehouse employees declining more and more with each passing year. Those damn smartphones are wonderful devices that are sucking the life out of us.
This past Christmas, both UPS and FedEx got behind. I can brag and say we caught up before Christmas and they did not. As a 100+ year old company, our infrastructure is much better than theirs. We were able to reroute things to different hubs to ease pressure. Here in Sacramento, we were one of the harder hit areas. So the company started holding trailers in Reno and processing them there.
I should explain, we have what we call a "Preload" shift that handles the package car loading. Those trailers cannot be rerouted. Its the sort trailers that are. The small centers don't deal with sort trailers, only the big "hubs" like Sacramento.
USPS, UPS, FedEx.... In some ways, its pick your poison. UPS and FedEx are at least privately owned with shareholder accountability. UPS has much more volume capability than FedEx (but FedEx is trying hard to catch up.) Amazon pretty much had no choice but to choose us. But that's a whole nother topic.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have to say that Canada Post does a pretty good job still but they are pricey compared to USPS. Maybe we`re getting what we pay for though.

Reactions: thomas1389

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Over the years when I was living down at Ruxton Island, where there is no delivery of any kind, we had to utilize a P.O. Box at Cedar, about 10 miles away.

I have had exactly the opposite service from the USPS that you all seem to speak of. Never had a single problem and I would say I had perhaps 100 packages delivered from the U.S. without incident. From small letter size items up to a generator.

One thing I despise about UPS is the crooked $70 "brokerage fee" they charge for any parcel coming to Canada. That is nothing but a 100% ripoff. They try to tell us that we cannot "clear" packages on our own, which is an outright lie.

If I cannot get an item sent from the U.S. by your USPS, then I don't buy it, simple as that. Unless I get "free" delivery from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have to say that Canada Post does a pretty good job still but they are pricey compared to USPS. Maybe we`re getting what we pay for though.
Not to forget that our $ is only worth .70 cents, so that may have an effect.

Yes, I agree our postal service is pretty good. I didn't care for the price hike to $1 for a letter, but then we really hadn't had any increases to speak of for a long time.

145 years ago a letter cost 3 cents to send in Canada. I bet if you did the inflation workout thing that would be more expensive than $1.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Even when you think you are paying for FedEx or UPS, you may wind up getting USPS as the final carrier to your door!!!

And since USPS and the other two carriers do not use the same tracking service, once your package says its delivered, there is no way to track your package through USPS.

Not sure why these companies are subcontracting to USPS, but it sucks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Even when you think you are paying for FedEx or UPS, you may wind up getting USPS as the final carrier to your door!!!

And since USPS and the other two carriers do not use the same tracking service, once your package says its delivered, there is no way to track your package through USPS.

Not sure why these companies are subcontracting to USPS, but it sucks.
You can blame FedEx. They struck some deal with USPS for that. Then UPS complained about government interference in private commerce so the USPS opened it to us as well. I can assure you we employees don't like it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I think everyone has a nightmare story about the USPS. It used to be so professional and dependable. This last Christmas I sent 5 cards to the same address for different recipients on the same day and only 3 got there before Christmas , the other 2 were 2 weeks late. the late ones were marked insufficient postage, and they all had the same stamps on them.

But, talking to people from other countries, especially central and S. America, our postage system is far superior to theirs. They have problems with the postal employees not delivering unless they are paid to, opening packages and letters and taking valuables, constantly "losing" the mail, etc.

So it could be worse. We are heading that direction.

Herb
OK, so let me add Canada Post to the "I hate" list - they do the same thing, oh, and it's a crown corporation, so it won't be going away anytime soon. I don't use them unless I absolutely have to. And I hate those community mailboxes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just don't use smart post! That is Ups or FedEx drops off a package to the post office and has them deliver the package. That is really a screwed up mess:|I have had packages delivered to a neighboring state than sent to the local post office than sent back to the neighboring state than sent to a different city than back to local post office. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
And I hate those community mailboxes.
I have to admit I'm with you there. But they may be going the way of the dodo.

Our super boxes are a long way from the house here, it usually takes about 13 minutes to make the round trip by car. That's why I usually only check the mail once a week.

It seems they are a constant source of vandalism, a problem which Canada Post doubtless dislikes immensely.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
We have the same things, all grouped together. Vandalism hasn't been a proble, but haveing the postman put the right mail into the right box is a problem and thenas a good samaritan you have to be the postman and deliver the mail to the right person, if you know who they are. Other wise it has to go back into the outgoing mail slot and hope the person gets it.

I remember several years ago if you sent a letter to some one across town, it went to the central distribution facility in Denver,Half way across the nation, then back again to the recipient. We now have a local distribution center.

Herb

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Last spring the city of Hamilton went to court to try to stop the installation of the community mailbox, but lost the challenge.
Justin's Libs reversed the plan to end door to door delivery.

Like everything else, times change. I recall when posties used to deliver on Saturdays and a stamp cost 2 cents.
Most of my utility bills are delivered to my email. About the only thing I receive these days is my daughter's mail which she redirected to my place when she was moving from Victoria, BC back to Ontario, and of course junk mail.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts