Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shop vac with a Dust Deputy and I was wondering if there is a way to locate small leaks. I know there is no major leaks but I can't tell if there are small leaks around the connections. There is to much noise to hear a leak a flame or powder has not shown any thing. To much air moving around.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I have a shop vac with a Dust Deputy and I was wondering if there is a way to locate small leaks. I know there is no major leaks but I can't tell if there are small leaks around the connections. There is to much noise to hear a leak a flame or powder has not shown any thing. To much air moving around.

Does it matter? I would worry about the noise first. If the air flow has decreased, it is probably the dust deputy causing it.
Herb

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Wrap a large cloth tightly around each joint in turn. If theres a leak on that joint the sound will change. I you have normal hearing but cant discern a change in pitch, then the joint is good.

Or, do the exactly the same as checking a pressure line, put soapy water around each joint in turn, if there is a leak you will see it being sucked in, especially if the pipe is see through.
Flame is NOT a good idea in a room full of sawdust!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I usually wrap the connections with foil tape. That's about all you can do to stop leaks anyway so I figure that's the best I can do whether it would leak or not.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
To find leaks like this I have used a piece of plastic tubing with one end held near, but not in my ear and the other end moved around the area of the suspected leak. When you find the leak this way, it's very obvious. Listening through the tubing will isolate the noise to the point where the end of the tubing is. As you cross over the leaking point the sound will suddenly get very loud through the tubing. Again, don't put the tubing into your ear, just near it.

For larger vacuum leaks, a can of test smoke that is used for testing fire alarm smoke detectors works well. Spray it near the suspected leak and watch as the smoke is pulled into the leak. Here is a possible source for this canned smoke. Amazon sells it as well.

https://www.grainger.com/product/36...74728&ef_id=WOuEcwAABCeDvUv1:20170613122352:s

Charley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts