Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a project to build an heirloom chest for my daughter's wedding gift. The plan calls for placement of 1/4 oak plywood panels into rabbited slots on the back side of openings in a solid oak frame. The oak plywood panels are to be decorated (grooved?) with 2 straight line cuts per small panel using a 1/8 veining bit. Can someone advise me of 2 things: where can I purchase such a bit and how do you control the router to place the veins in the right place and ensure they are cut straight? I just have never used such a bit before. I plan to use a small trim router.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mike :)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mike, I found the bits you are looking for in two styles, flat and round nose made by Whiteside in solid carbide.(The bits may be available from others.) Here is a link to the page on Woodcraft's web site if you are not close to one of their retail stores.
http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query="veining+bit
As far as making accurate cuts to be repeated on more than one panel the smart way is to build a template out of 1/4" Masonite(hardboard) and use a guide bushing. This pretty much guarantee's your panels will have identical cuts. I have two questions for you; Where are these cuts to be made on the panels? Regardless of what the plans call for I would not make cuts into 1/4" plywood. Have you considered attaching a nice trim piece instead? Let me know.
FLY ARMY!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information and your suggestions. I like the look of oak grain on the 1/4 plywood. Given your suggestion, I will refrain from cutting the veins in the 1/4 plywood panels. They were supposed to be vertical veins and located roughly at the 1/4th points of each small panel. Perhaps I could place a preformed decorative wood piece in the front panels or just the center panel? I think I have seen these in the Rockler catalog. Was your thought to place thin wood strips on the surface instead?
Thanks, Mike (Old Army Engineer)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Mike, the possibilities are endless. Glueing preformed decorative pieces would be a nice choice, maybe you would want to scroll saw your own? You could also glue on a small oak square with a decorative edge for a raised panel look, you can trim each panel with small molding and glue a wooden circle or rosette in the center... Since this is to be a family heirloom consider making each panel into a picture frame by using glass in front of the plywood, perhaps using a sepia tone photo of a generation of the family? Perhaps use a fabric under the glass?(I am thinking family tartan here)
Another source for woodworking items you should check out is:
http://www.vandykes.com/
Let us know what you decide, looking forward to seeing the end results!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts