Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CNC Community,
I was able to acquire a used Velox VR-2525 CNC 'as-is'. It appears the company makes this CNC router (Velox) has closed its doors so it looks like I'm on my own.

I would like replace as much of the proprietary controllers and software as much as I can. What hardware (controllers, drivers kit) and software do you guys recommend? This machine will only be used for hobby projects.

Thanks for any guidance.

Gadget Font Audio equipment Machine Multimedia

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
I don't see any reason to change anything. I would use it with the Mach3 software it was intended to use. There is a lot of documentation for Mach3 software and a lot of people using it.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
If you have any problems with the setup of running Mach3, let us know what questions you have.

What design software are you going to use?

I would recommend Vectric VCarve Desktop to get you started.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum , chiques...

Reactions: chiques

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I agree, try to use it as is. However, be aware that orphan products usually have shrinking availability of spare parts. So, I would get to know the insides of the box and consider acquiring any spares before you need them. PSUs and stepper drivers are the most likely to die. If the controller has the drivers integrated on the main board, then you should try to get a replacement as backup.

Otherwise start thinking about a new controller. There are lots of resources out there - look at the CNC DIY/Homebuilt groups. There are several on facebook. And some at CNCZone.

·
Official Greeter
19,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Doc Cotton . Would you like to tell us a bit about your wood working life?

Reactions: chiques

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I needed a sanity check so I opened up the controller unit just to take a look. Everything seems to be in very good condition. I didn't see any burned PCB's or blow capacitors. I'm going to change my focus to the PC and LTP parallel port controller.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Audio equipment

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Passive circuit component Electronic engineering

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Gadget Cable

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic instrument

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have any problems with the setup of running Mach3, let us know what questions you have.

What design software are you going to use?

I would recommend Vectric VCarve Desktop to get you started.

I plan on using Vcarve Pro once I get the dang steppers to work :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Your PSU is an unregulated toroid. Almost bullet proof and super easy to fix. The stepper drivers (the 4 square daughter cards) look custom so I would be worried about them. Getting a spare or two would be a good idea, if you can find any. Another nice thing is your case has a lot of room so if the board that your stepper drivers plug into dies, you probably could put off the shelf drivers and a controller board in there. A bit of work but nothing hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts