Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To All-
I bought the MilesCraft SignCrafter #1206 to see if I could adapt it to Vertical sign Making. Joe certainly offered some good modifications to make the fixture work better for horizontal signs (post-http://www.routerforums.com/54436-post7.html). I am a Land Steward with the Littleton Conservation Trust (here in Littleton MA) and they need some signs cut into 4x4 and 6x6 posts to mark trails. I corresponded with MilesCraft and they only have vertical number templates and a SignPRo fixture for vertical number applications. They said they knew of no vertical letter templates or fixtures, and suggested the possible use of their Pantograph tool.
I figure I could cut the rails down on the MilesCraft1206 (to fit 4" or 6" width lumber) and do one letter at a time, but would need to make about six different sets of spaces, for the various letter widths, in order to keep the letters centered on the post. This sounds very tedious!
Is anyone aware of any fixtures for vertical sign making?
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bill, I am trying to do the same thing but have found no vertical templates. I have seen signs with veritcal letters at a resort/development once, at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. I am going to call the conceirge and see if they cna point me to whomever built the signs. I wlll let you know if I find anything. Would appreciate it if you find the solution before I do.

BC

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi BC

http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-12...ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1237068376&sr=1-5

Bill,,,, I should note It's not a big deal to make a holder for the ones you have if it's the horz.type, just chuck up your 1/8" slot cutter and put in a slot to hold the letters/numbers,, in a vert.pattern...the end parts for the jig can be just about anything you have around the shop...:)

=========

Bill, I am trying to do the same thing but have found no vertical templates. I have seen signs with veritcal letters at a resort/development once, at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff. I am going to call the conceirge and see if they cna point me to whomever built the signs. I wlll let you know if I find anything. Would appreciate it if you find the solution before I do.

BC

·
Registered
79 Posts
bill
i havent tried this but couldnt you fasten your rails to another 2 boards running perpendicular with the letters turned sideways & you would be able to clamp the whole jig to your post. you could also make adjustable sides to clamp to the post for the different size posts.
les

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bill
i havent tried this but couldnt you fasten your rails to another 2 boards running perpendicular with the letters turned sideways & you would be able to clamp the whole jig to your post. you could also make adjustable sides to clamp to the post for the different size posts.
les
les-
Thanks for the suggestion. That is basically what I have decided to do. I plan to saw down the aluminum rail pieces on the SignCraft Pro fixture and attach them to running boards. Since the horizontal letters come in several different widths, a few sets of plastic spacers (i got some 1/8" thick lexan plastic for these) will be required to have the vertical letters centered properly; there is also some adjustment in the fixture itself. The disadvantage of this method is that it will be one letter at a time; then remove and replace with the next letter.
I have tried the fixture out (horizontal mode) and the results look fine, except that someone in my organization wants bolder letters. The basic kit comes with 1/4" and 3/8" long reach router bits, so I ordered the Milescraft #2210 router bit kit that includes a 1/2" bit. I have not tried that yet, but plan to in the next month.
R/Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

BC
BC-

Please see my replay to les. By the way, the SignPro is a much sturdier fixture than the SignCrafter model. I tried the basic fixture first, but returned it unused and traded in for the 'Pro' model. I will post again once I try out the modified jig.

R/Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Milescraft have an update kit that includes vertical templates

I actually got mine recently from a German dealer as it was cheaper than sending it from the States. The people at Milescraft were very helpful.
Milescraft tells me that they only make vertical number templates, not letter templates. They also seem to have the market cornered and said they knew of no source of vertical letter templates. I considered making my own set, but decided it was not worth it since I'm not in production. The link to the 2200 SignPro only has vertical numbers.

R/Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
bill i hope i post the pics.
bill
in my gallery is the unit i use & the double rails will go abt. 36" long. if your unit has the 4 rails i would try & make a mounting system rather than cutting the rails.

ps. hopefully the pics are here. the first 2 r the big unit & the second 2 are my single letter ones. they are horizontal also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Milescraft tells me that they only make vertical number templates, not letter templates. They also seem to have the market cornered and said they knew of no source of vertical letter templates. I considered making my own set, but decided it was not worth it since I'm not in production. The link to the 2200 SignPro only has vertical numbers.

R/Bill
Apologies, Bill. I should have read your original post. I hadn't realised that you wanted letters as well as numbers.

Cheers

Peter

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Guys

Here's a LITTLE jig you can make so you can use the MilesCraft jigs you now have,the number templates are all the same size, you just need to use some hardwood and put in some square holes to hold the rods you now have,, with a screw or two you can now put numbers/letters on your mail box post or ?, you can make some spacers if you need them out of 1/8" MDF stock...i.e. address and name on the post .. :)

====

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Modified Milescraft Jig

Hi les, Bob J, Peter & others-
I tried posting this yesterday, but failed; here we go again.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Les, please provide the P/N for the Vermont American single letter template kit.
I have already cut down one set of the aluminum rails and attached sideboards for use with a 6”x6” post. Obviously different sideboards could be attached for 4”x4”stock. The Milescraft SignPro seems to be sturdier than the SignCrafter model. By the way, download the SignCrafter instructions to help with the use of the SignPro, since it’s instructions are poor. I will attach photos showing the cut down jig, which will only do one letter at a time. As mentioned before, I also purchased the ‘long reach router bits’ (P/N 2210). These bits seem to be of better quality than the ones supplied with the jig kit (see photo comparison of the 3/8” bits).
The Milescraft letter templates come in five widths, ranging from about 1” (I) to 3”(W) (most are 2 and 3/8”), so different spacers are needed in the case of Vertical signs. I made a table of spacers versus letters and can use other letters except for the I. I only got a chance to try one letter with a ½” bit on a scrap 2"x6", and photo is attached. A photo of the jig on the 6"x6" is also attached. I have to figure out the Vertical spacing (probably on the order of ½” to ¾”, but that should be easy and there are witness cutouts in the fixture end pieces that will allow relative positioning. I also posted a photo of an earlier Horizontal sign I made to see how the letters looked.
R/Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discovered this week that the Rutlands Dakota copy of the original Milescraft jig uses letter templates which are slightly bigger, so don't match the rail spread width on the Milescraft upgrade kit. I'll have to make up some end plates like the new flat ones but allowing the rails to be set slightly further apart. The new rails seem less flexible than the original ones, which is a good thing. I must also check to see if the typeface differs. When I got the Dakota kit I'd thought they were identical to the Milescraft, as the pictures appeared to show exactly the same things.

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
bill
the number on the box is 23455 (this is a horizontal lettering kit). i just checked to see if the letters could be turned to do the vertical lettering & it wont work as is. i am modifying my plastic end pieces a little different to what you have done. where you have your end boards i have routed a slot along the boards with blocks & knobs to hold the fixture to the board that i am going to letter on. i am trying with 4" bolts but they could be longer for bigger posts. as soon as i can i will post some pics so you can see my attempt at the same thing. (always more than one way to skin a cat). originally i thought i would do it this way so i could move the whole unit along if i needed to & do the whole line & then cutting the board to size. (less waste) i hope to do the pics for you on the weekend.
les.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anybody give me a lead on that German dealer who had the vertical letter templates? I have contacts in Germany, but it would be very helpful to know the name of the company that makes them or, at least, the name of the dealer?

Manfred in Michigan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.