Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make signs freehand and with templates with fixed base,bought a new router craftsman #320-27683 comb fixed and plunge,cant figure out how to set for multi depths using the depth rod want to start at 1/8''then finish with 5/16ths using the turret :|

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Victor and welcome. One easy way to do it is to take a 5/16" drill bit or keystock (anything that is 5/16" thick) to measure it. Lock the router with the bit level with the base and just touching the work surface it's on. Turn the turret to its lowest position under the depth stop rod. Place the 5/16" gauge between the depth rod and the turret and lower the rod and lock it in place. That will give you the final cut. If you have fine adjustment screws in each step of the turret then without moving the rod turn the turret and adjust the screw until a gauge of appropriate size fits between the depth rod and the turret screw. If you don't have fine adjustment screws then you are stuck with what the turret gives you or you can go through the same procedure as the initial setup for each step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is no adjustment screws on the turret only a rod for the adjustments on the router and there adjustments are 1/4'' to 3/4'' so the way it is set up for this router only 3 adjustment per cut if you use this turret so have to adjust each time for diff. cuts tried to take it back went pass the 30 days called dealer they said u can return it for the same thing :( thanz 4 help

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Victor there are a lot of unknowns here. In a lot of wood cutting a 5/16th in one pass is very doable. Wood such as pine, western cedar and others. Very hard wood might take two cuts at the most. Also a lot depends on what router bit you are using and the size and quality of the bit. A 1/8th bit is very fragile while a 1/2" bit will be stronger. Maybe some pictures would also be helpful. The more information we have the better answers you will get.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,508 Posts
Welcome to the forum Victor.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome to the forum Victor....

·
Registered
193 Posts
ingthe turrets

I make signs freehand and with templates with fixed base,bought a new router craftsman #320-27683 comb fixed and plunge,cant figure out how to set for multi depths using the depth rod want to start at 1/8''then finish with 5/16ths using the turret :|
page 23 of the manual provides instructions for setting more than one depth of cut using the turret system. Setting the final depth is done on the lowest turret position and up to two lesser depth cuts on the other two positions.
If you are having getting the drift of the procedure I suggest a search on you tube where you will probably find several illustrations. I am sorry I don't have time right now to search for a link.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I figure out my problem,I remove my turret from my router and machined and tap out new threads on turret ,now I'm going to sell my idea to craftsman for a BUTt LOAD OF $

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
well I figure out my problem,I remove my turret from my router and machined and tap out new threads on turret ,now I'm going to sell my idea to craftsman for a BUTt LOAD OF $
use NF threads for more accuracy..

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Good solution Victor. You'll find that much better than Craftsman's idea but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping to sell it to them. Craftsman gets a manufacturer to build them a router according to Sears specs and the turret with set screws was probably a considered option which Sears didn't go for because it would have cost more money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts