Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an old Stanley h13b builders kit for a while that I am now hoping to fix up. The push to lock shaft button is currently off of it. I have the button itself and what looks like a spring for it, but it looks like there is something else missing to complete everything. Does anyone know what goes in this assembly or even better know where I could get the part? I'm fine with fashioning something new, but knowing what it is I am replacing at least would help a lot. Thanks much for any help.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I think you'll need to provide the individual model number of the router (unit) you need parts for. A Google search using that number such as "Replacement parts for 21669" should yield some results.

BTW, welcome to the forum. If you get the chance could you fill in your name and location under your profile?

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums. Can you provide any pictures of the router, label, and parts you say you have?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Since there is no projection on the end of the button then there must have been a plunger part, also probably spring loaded as it cannot make contact with the shaft in operation. It would almost certainly be round so if you exposed the arbor of the router you could see what size hole the plunger would fit into. You might be able to see into the cavity or try working blind with different size drill bit shanks until you find a fit but then you still have the issue with how to keep it out of the way when operating it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@mymonkeyshines

Did you pull that "shaft to lock" button from the top of the dome on the router? If you put that button back, with the spring below it, and depress the button, does it then lock the shaft? Can you show a picture of the top of the dome? Can't tell if one of your pictures is of the top of the shaft, if not can you show us one?

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Looks like to me that the top of the shaft should have a flat section that should go into the slot section of the shaft lock button. It is hard to see if there is a flat section on the end of the shaft. It could have been damaged if the shaft lock button was pressed while the router was running.

If it is not damaged, to engage it you would have to turn the shaft while pushing down on the shaft lock button to get the two parts lined up correctly.

If the flat section is damaged then it is probably not worth the trouble to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@mymonkeyshines

Did you pull that "shaft to lock" button from the top of the dome on the router? If you put that button back, with the spring below it, and depress the button, does it then lock the shaft? Can you show a picture of the top of the dome? Can't tell if one of your pictures is of the top of the shaft, if not can you show us one?
The button and spring were actually in the carrying case with the router bits when I picked this up. The 2nd picture shows the top of the shaft. It is recessed into that brass threaded piece by a little bit so the button would be completely unable to touch it without an additional part. There is also a slot along the top of that brass piece, most easily seen in pic 3. I'm not sure what purpose that might serve. I can take a picture of the top of the dome later tonight. There is a spot for the button right at the top of the dome.

Looks like to me that the top of the shaft should have a flat section that should go into the slot section of the shaft lock button. It is hard to see if there is a flat section on the end of the shaft. It could have been damaged if the shaft lock button was pressed while the router was running.

If it is not damaged, to engage it you would have to turn the shaft while pushing down on the shaft lock button to get the two parts lined up correctly.

If the flat section is damaged then it is probably not worth the trouble to fix it.
Right now the shaft is a football shaped piece, seen in pic 2. as mentioned about, without some sort of additional piece there is no way the button could engage the shaft. the top of the shaft does look a bit beaten up although it didn't strike me as totally broken, but it is possible. there is enough a gap on the 'flat' sides of the shaft that you definitely could stick something in there to lock it if it was the right shape, I would think.

Also perhaps not clear from the pic is the slot on the button is not of one depth, but rounded as if to grab a circular piece, and deepest and the middle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.