Thinking of frame & panel
Field is/must be shiplapped

choice of wood CURRENTLY is
mahogany or cypress

cedar is a distant 3rd

teak is too expensive and tough to work
& ipe is out of the question
SYP & Pressure Treated are no go

So if you had to make it what would you use??

one of the above 3 or something else entirely??

thanks for your input

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Wood would look great. But all in all, I'm pretty much with Chuck on this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I built a picnic table set 30 years ago. It's been outside ever since ... and I used 2" "white wood" stock from Big Orange. It was my first furniture project as a homeowner, built with a carpenter square, circular saw, a jig saw and a power drill.

The table is still in the backyard. The benches, after surviving 7 years of Cub Scout den meetings, are still in service, too.

The wood was stained originally, but has been painted to match our outdoor trim for 25+ years now. The table & benches are still going strong. The point: you don't always have to use "outdoor" woods to get a good result.

Here the table is a work in progress, upside down in the garage with my first assistant. And, yes, cutting out those curves with an under-powered jig saw was a total pain!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: dimensions

This box is to fit in a 40"wide x 35" high x 36" deep opening.

My daughter, the "requestor", has researched the readily available pre made ones, plastic & wood, and isn't satisfied with what was turned up. So the request went in.

Also this box must be transported from SC to PA in a car so the frame will be pre assembled and the field will be put in on site.

I was thinking of pocket screws for the frame & t&g the panels into it(them).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@stick

Stick Thanks for the charts

you REALLY amaze me with what you can gather for a response.

You must have a main frame as a computer.

Maybe you should change your handle to "Watson" ?? or "Big Blue" ?

smitty

Reactions: Daikusan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE: plastic

Yes plastic would have been #1 choice but nothing could be found to fill the dimensions 40w x 35h x36d

All pre made, store bought didn't fit the bill

and I don't know of and have no experience to DIY heat/melt resin to fill the request

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Trex, Veranda or Vinyl Siding over one or the other.

Outside weather can do horrible things to wood.

The guys up North have a lot more experience with this than us in the South.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick Thanks for the charts

you REALLY amaze me with what you can gather for a response.

You must have a main frame as a computer.

Maybe you should change your handle to "Watson" ?? or "Big Blue" ?

smitty
no.. no main frame...
over the years this question arises often.. saved the answer...
note the tag line...
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”

now as fars a ''Big Blue'' which Bosch is known as... hmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I built an adirondack chair about 5 years ago. Made it from cedar with no finish. Been out on the back covered patio. While it has grayed, as all wood well, it has held up VERY well. Consider a no finish option, and just let the wood naturally turn to gray. It will last longer with minimal maintenance. As soon as you put a finish on, you will need to reapply every year or two.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I have used Azek trim boards, which are solid PVC shaped with grain patterns. You can either use them as regular boards (1 x 6) or glue them together with PVC cement. Works either way. They last forever. Can either leave them white or brown or paint them.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I built a picnic table set 30 years ago. It's been outside ever since ... and I used 2" "white wood" stock from Big Orange. It was my first furniture project as a homeowner, built with a carpenter square, circular saw, a jig saw and a power drill.

The table is still in the backyard. The benches, after surviving 7 years of Cub Scout den meetings, are still in service, too.

The wood was stained originally, but has been painted to match our outdoor trim for 25+ years now. The table & benches are still going strong. The point: you don't always have to use "outdoor" woods to get a good result.

Here the table is a work in progress, upside down in the garage with my first assistant. And, yes, cutting out those curves with an under-powered jig saw was a total pain!
Speaking of Jig Saws.
Many years ago I was the medic for the world Championship Karate face offs. During an intermission, I wandered over to the other side of the stadium to see what was going on. They were having a tool expo.
One of the set ups was for a jig saw. I have no idea today what the brand was. But the guy cut into a 6x6 block and then flipped it on its side and cut a wavy line the other way, then removed a complete corner from the block. Keep in mind that the blade was buried inside of the block of wood for both of the cuts.
He then set the saw on automatic run mode and set it on the edge of the block of wood. The jig saw sat there humming away and never fell off the block of wood.
I was very broke at the time and could never afford that saw.
Yesterday I was cutting out the side portions for that 3 way baby high chair that was on the forum a few weeks ago and due to the size of the original piece of wood could not cut all of it on my band saw. So I got out my old jig saw. It took forever and wore my arm out with the shaking and made a very rough cut. Which set me to thinking about that jig saw I saw many years ago.
This may not be of help, but do any of you have an idea of the brand that saw could have been?
Thanks
David

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.