Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, I expect to see royalty checks start rolling in soon. I have a new invention and hope no one steals it from me before I get it registered.
I'll tell you guys cause I KNOW that no one on the forum would try to steal my idea from me.
I first time we took our new Motor Home to the beach on the Gulf Of Mexico. (anyone that has ever been to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico can attest to the winds that blow in off the gulf).
Well , when I attempted to put my canopy out, the wind grabbed it and tried to tear it off the vehicle. It was all I could do to get it safely rolled back up.
Well, since I am a carpenter and am always thinking of other ways to do some thing. I came up with an idea.
I gathered several bungie straps from my shop and loaded 3 one gallon plastic jugs of water in the camper, and headed for the beach.
I had Sandra out there holding the canopy down as I got my stuff ready and by hooking three straps to each outside corner of the canopy, and one set in the middle and attaching a one gallon water bottle to the ends of the bungies. The canopy bounced and bowed up but stayed right where it was suppose to.
I did see other beach goers looking over at us and I am sure that some of the more unscrupulous ones will attempt to steal my invention, but since you guys are the only ones that I have shared the particulars of how I set this up. They will not be able to duplicate my idea.

So mums the word until I get those royalty check rolling in.

David

·
Registered
Paul
2,143 Posts
Great invention, David, should sell like hot-cakes!

Reminds me of a time when I was in the awning business... A good customer (Rabba) calls that we have to go to downtown Toronto. We reply "You know it's Friday afternoon, Jack!?!?!?" He had two roll-out awnings, both had the arms broken off at the shoulders. They were near fully rolled out and it was very windy. So there's about ten foot fabric flapping around with about twelve feet of aluminum extrusion attached to each corner, bashing around on the sidewalks and streets. Lucky nobody got hurt or vehicles damaged. Not even a store window was broken.

We managed to roll them up some and tied them up to their shafts until Monday when we return with some parts. :O

I don't think that even your invention could have kept those babies under control, David.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
We use 5 gallon buckets with lids. We fill each bucket with 5 gallons of water (40 lbs each), and tie one bucket to the top of each canope leg, so each bucket sits on the ground next to the canope leg with the rope connected between the bucket handle and the top of the canope leg frame. We have had our canope and water filled buckets move around some, but it never flies off and the wind gusts have been as high as about 50-60 mph. We have been doing this for well over 20 years, and we aren't the only ones doing this, so I doubt you can legally claim any royalties for the idea as I began doing it by the suggestion of several other canope owners We use water for the weight and haul the buckets empty and get filled at the location. They get dumped out and stacked when packing back up for the trip home.

Charley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.