Router Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy or make an affordable 4"/2" wall mounted shop vac. I have seen this at Rockler's Dust Right® Wall Mount Dust Collector With FREE $50 Gift Card or on Amazon Shop Fox W1727 1 HP Dust Collector.

I want to be able to connect to a table saw, router table, sliding miter saw, hand sanders, palm router, and in the future a band saw, planer...joiner....

I would like something that is low micron, preferably less than 1.... and that is quiet... I would be fine retrofitting box to cut down the noise... or trying to make a system...

Now the hard part ...I have very little money to buy this equipment. I can get the Dust-right for $200 right now and I can swing that financially. Any thoughts or suggestions....

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Ed,

I bought the 1hp, 660 CFM small dust collector from Harbor Freight. I have it permanently attached to my miter saw (the messy-est tool in the shop), where I built a dust hood. It works great and with a 20% coupon you can get it for around $125. Portable Dust Collector - 13 Gallon.

I also have the HF 2HP large dust collector that is piped into my shop with drops for my TS, Planer, Joiner, etc...it too works great for the money. Dust Collector - Great Deals on Dust Collectors at Harbor Freight

As far as noise...well...all dust collectors are pretty noisey, but heck when operating our tools, we should be wearing hearing protection anyway.

Good luck

JD

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

How long have you had these machines for? I have been leery to buy anything from Harbor Freight.... their reputation has been very low quality... and short lived... How is the quality? Thanks again.

Ed

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Ed maybe a big shop vac would work better? You'll need a lot of piping otherwise plus blast gates which drop efficiency and drive up the cost.

Reactions: Ed3443

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
What are blast gates? Sorry for being a newbie....I have thought about big shop vac as well. Any suggestions?
These are blast gates and as you see if you buy one for each tool plus the piping it does run into money. I agree a shop vac would be better and cost less. I have a 1.5HP Grizzly dust collector and hook it up to each tool when needed. Hooking a hose to each machine from your dust collector will give you the best performance. I think you should start out with a big shop vac first then go from there. Of all the tools in my shop the shop vac is the most used tool. I would never be without one.

As far as the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector they seem to be very good. There is a lot of wood workers on this site that have one. You do have to have 220 volt current in your shop and that is the reason I don't have one.

Rockler - Search Results for blast gate

Reactions: Ed3443

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I have the 2hp HF dust collector with the Wynn Environmental filter and a shopmade Thein separator upstream. It catches most of the dust in the 30 gallon barrel.

I also have a shop vac piped up to the miter saw and a blast gate so I can hook up a hose to the ROS or router A Dust Deputy is plumbed upstream and catches almost everything before it goes to the shop vac.

I think you may have been misled on the HF dust collector. It works well. You can spend a lot more for something else that is maybe just a little better if you're skeered!>:):grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ed, my DC is setup as 2 separate systems. A wall hung central house vacuum, and a 8 yr old, now highly modified Harbor Freight DC. The central vac is ducted for my miter saw, router table, drum and oscillating sanders. It also handles my ROS, hand held routers, and shop cleanup duties. The DC is for my stationary tools. I like central vacs because they are made to hang, are really powerful, made to be ducted, and have a large dust capacity. I see them on craigslist all the time. But a shop vac could be setup the same. The duct is very reasonable through a central vac dealer, the 2" blast gates are available through places like Rockler. Most central vacs have a muffler option to reduce the noise, and heppa filters for the dust.
The downside is that no vacuum is going to handle the larger tools you mentioned. Those require a dust collector. Here are a couple of pictures of the central vac.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,236 Posts
Hi, my DC system started out with what you're contemplating and it was completely inadequate. I have the 2hp Harbor Freight DC unit, with the Wynn 1micron filter and a separator barrel, all hooked up with 4 inch Rockler expandable hose. Very similar to what Mike has. The DC unit, on sale, cost $183 with the 20% coupon. The Wynn 1micron canister filter for it was around $140 as I recall. The HF collector has a 5 micron bag that comes with it, which is OK if you roll it outside and wear a dust mask at all times. A bag system can only go down to 5 microns (never seen one finer), so in the end you should get the canister filter, which also has much higher air flow.

Some folks have blocked the filter bag side of the Harbor Freight unit with a shop made lid and redirected the outflow outside, which may be OK if you live in the boonies, but unacceptable in more crowded areas. The canister filter greatly increases air flow through the system. Cleaning it out is a matter of blowing compressed air back through the outside of the canister to loosen the dust, causing it to fall down into the bag.

The chip separator (the extra barrel in Mike's pictures) will take out the vast majority of the larger dust particles, but the fines stuff is what does all the damage to your lungs. That's why it's so important to filter down to 1 micron if the air is going to outflow back into your shop. The chip separator also catches screws, nails, small chunks of scrap, and other items that can damage the impeller on the DC unit. These also make an un-godly noise when they hit. Lots of YouTube suggestions for making one of these.

Later, you might also get a passive air filter that hangs near a wall and which you run for about 2 hours after you close up shop. This circulates all shop air and removes the fines. It is in addition to a DC unit, not instead of one. WEN makes a nice one that is going for about $120 that has the same specs as most of the ones 3 times its price. Has a remote timer and 3 speed settings. Filters are cheap too, but can also be blown clean. Amazon has these.

I found a battery operated respirator mask at Rockler that I like very much. It uses 4 AA cells to drive a fan that sucks air in through a filter. The poslitive pressure on mine also blows a little air across my glasses so they never fog. I use it much of the time, but at least get some of those disposable masks that have elastic behind your ear to hold them in place. No cutting in my shop without a mask.

As you can see, you are going to eventually need about $500 of basic gear, and the HF 2hp unit (on sale) is the place to start. My shop is divided between a shed and my garage, and each has an HF unit, got two on sale. I'm still trying to unload my former system, which was barely passable compared to the new one.

I am a throat cancer survivor, and some wood is carcinogenic in the throat and lungs, that's why I take dust collection so seriously. The EPA did some studies and found that the worst wood dust conditions are in home workshops, and that these rarely meet basic clean air standards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Ed,

If you are a beginner-woodworker, on a tight budget, Harbor Freight is a good option. Sure they don't have the quality of Dewalt hand tools or a nice SawStop TS, but they will get you moving in the right direction, I've had both of my HF DC's for several years...no issues, no problems, plus several other hand tools from HF. Heck, why spend $200-300 on a high end tool that you might use a few time a year (as a hobbiest), when a HF tool gets the job done. Obviously, if you are gonna be a fulltime woodworker, as a business, then invest in high-end tools.

I too have upgraded my 2hp HF DC like MT Stringer...and DesertRat. A decent shop vac is also an option (as a few guys noted), but again...a good shop vac can set you back a few buck and it does not move dust and fine particles the way a dust collector will...it's more point of use.

JD

·
Super Moderator
David
3,569 Posts
As far as the Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector they seem to be very good. There is a lot of wood workers on this site that have one. You do have to have 220 volt current in your shop and that is the reason I don't have one.
The HF 2 HP DC is 120 volt, not 220 volt, so you can go get you one Don. I wanted to wire mine 220 but there are no provisions for that - it's a 120 volt only motor.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts