Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this from one of the Rockler Kits that are avaialble. Fun project. We have my side of the family Christmas on New Years Day and this is a gift for my dad ( along with a pen and case I made earlier ). I gave my brother a pen for his birthday and my dad said "Where's Mine"? ....so he will like it.
The only thing I do not like about the kit is that the bits are not standard sized double ended like Stanley etc. On a qwest to fine additional bits or and adapter that will hold additional bits.

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Where's Mine ???????? do you need my address ? LOL

Very nice :)

Bj :)

Here's a challenge for you ,put a screw on top so it will hold extra bits in the handle...

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Nice job.

Nice job Corey. Really a fine looking present.

Bj. I think that it would be a challenge for Corey to put extra bits in the end. Seems there is not enough room once the barrel is inserted into the handle. :confused: Nice thought tho. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. BJ, it could be done if it used the little bits, but this uses double ended bits. I wish they made it so they could use the little bits or the 1 1/2 long bits. Even the double ended bits have a barrel that is larger on the barrel so standard double ended bits don't work in it.

As far as a screw end, that would be difficult for me but with a longer handle and good planning, a suction fit end would be do-able and would be kind of cool.

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

This what I meant :), remove the top then drill holes down into the handle to hold the bits,it looks like you could get 4ea. 5/16" holes deep enough to hold the bits.
Then put a 1/4 turn lock on the in side of the head and handle..or a press fit :)

Just a Note **** I see that you have tons of stock under your bench so when will I get mind ,,,, LOL ,LOL, hahahahaha :) :) by the way did you make your awl with the welding rod ,,,, yet ?

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
OMG....

Corey, that thing is fantastic! You did the wood proud and I know Dad is going to treasure that.

Good going.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey BJ, cool idea but I expect that it would be destroyed by the time they are done since they all have ratcheting mechanisims. I destroyed one today doing the same thing :) A non ratcheting model would work better I think. I will have to give it a try!

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

I would cut the parts off the Grizzly items with a Dremel tool then turn the handle so you could slip the parts in place with a bit of super glue, the one with the hex part I would use a Allen hex stock to hold it place then turn the handle .

Turn the out side then drill it out just abit and use a small sq.chisel to get the hex it place, and the same thing for the other end but use a wooden dowel in the center to hold it in place for the turning, just thinking out loud :) :)

Just one more note**** I think I would cut the threads off the tail end (grizzly part) and slip them over on the end (ring thing) and the same with the top cap,threading can be a hard job when the stock is real thin and I'm sure you know that... :) :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Corey, you could use an "allen wrench" or "hex" for the shaft and magnetize a socket and simply attach that to you wooden handle. Then you could use the small bits.

Looks good. Keep up the good work. :D

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

Little Show and Tell :) :)

Talking about screw drivers and alike I got the one below for Xmax. this year I'm not a great fan of small battery screw drivers BUT this one is best one I have come across, it will drive a #8 x 3" deck screw just like my big Dewalt 18volt and will and not lug down, Snap-On just came out with this one, it's 7.2 volt and a small sucker at that,I'm always looking for something small to get into the hard spots and it looks like this will fit the bill,they are coming out with a light for the set in April this year, but who cares.
No drill chuck but I can use the hex drills bits and other bits that just snap in and lock .

I thought you would like to see it :) :).

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey that is a cool little set Bob! I would like that too. Performance sounds great. I have the Ryobi 18V batteried tools or some of them. I bought the little right angle drill or as they call it "close quarter drill/driver". Doesn't fit any better than my 12V Craftsman in tight places. This would fit the bill Bob and great for odd jobs around the house like those blinds I have to hang in the kitchen etc.....lol. Good snag from Santa!

Corey

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
You're very welcome Corey.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Corey that is a awesome looking screwdriver. I really like the form and finish. Excellent job.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts