Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Harry...

hope your son has as much fun building his, as i did mine...

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Grasshopper... you've learned well!!!!!!

Now to come up with a cabinet design that looks as good as the table.....
Great job Jim!!!

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Jim... as ya may know, I made provisions for pocket hole assembly on the back side of my table... The investment was minimal and the payback has been excellent. Go for it...

b.

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Now thats the way to go with a contractors saw!! Excellent job Dawg! Looks to function, thats the ticket!

If I may...thats a pretty good span between casters...keep an eye out for that rig to want to start to go belly down..

again.. excellent effort..
bill

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Jeff...thank you for the kind comments. *S*..

A quick answer to your question would be: So far, anything I've asked of it *S* It does everything I want, it does it well, and it does it with a great deal of accuracy. I'm no router/routing expert, and don't pretend to be. There are plenty of guys/gals in here with some amazing skills when it comes to taking advantage of the many things a router can accomplish.
I just wanted to build what I believed to be a quality router table.

Now go dig up your plans and start editing and building your table...*S*

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
New addition to my table. Very recently I added an Incra 17" LS Positioner Super System to my collection of toys. Already tried the edge jointing technique. Also, did a test run of slot cutting, using the Positioner to do the spacing of the slots. What a treat!! Quick and accurate.

Cassandra

Is that rig cool or what!!!!!!:sold: You're gonna love it Cass!!

Sounds like you may be thinking of mounting yours, as I did mine..here's a few pics,

Attachments

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Hi Bill:

I have already fallen in love with it! It has so much potential! The videos on YouTube for the LS Positioner sold me. Dovetails, box joints, sliding dovetails, slots, tongue and groove, edge jointing, vertical panel routing, . . . So much easier now!

Thanks for the photos, Bill. I am a bit of a purist. As indicated in other threads, I am of the camp that says minimal penetration of the router table top. No t-track. No mitre track. No starter pin hole. No fence mounting holes or tracks. The only penetration of the top on my router table top is for the router. All accessories either clamp to the table via clamps (as seen in the photo above) or clamp to the table via the 1/4"-20 inserts located in the edging.

Cassandra

Thats cool Cass. we all go about things a bit differently...Just so long as it does not distract from the enjoyment of the journey :)

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I will give you young members some good advice. Don't let your pride stop you from asking for help! Lifting that 600+ pound log, machine, beam, etc. by yourself doesn’t prove a darn thing except you are an idiot.:nono: Ever injury, you laugh off now, will come back to get you.

Amen Brother!!!! Our brains keep writing checks our body can't cash!!

Solid advise!!!

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
for me its 20 pages, you can go into your options page and change the default for the number of posts per page.....

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Craig/John...

Great job on your tables guys. Fantastic work and thanks for sharing with the community. We certainly do have some skilled folks running around this place.. very cool!!!

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Bill, I am ready to move my Incra joinery package from my saw to its own table and yours seems to have everything I have envisioned, and more. You wouldn't happen to have any build aids (sketches, plans shop notes) available for your masterpiece to help an amateur along?
Hey Curtis, welcome to the comminity..

Do I have any plans, shopnotes etc... uhhh nope. Sorry. I pretty much had an idea of what I wanted to do with a router table so I went about doing quite a bit of homework. Including spending a good bit of time in here looking at various design concepts and reading up on what worked for some guys an didn't for others. Since you already have your router/fence etc. you're in good shape. Briefly, the table top is a custom ordered/sized top from Woodpeckers. I believe that they have since, stopped taking orders for custom sized tops. I could have made my top, but didnt want to be bothered.
The cabinet is made from hard maple, using Kreg's pocket-hole joinery system. My first real project with Kreg's products and I've been sold ever since! In 4 years, the cabinet remains rock solid. Number of drawers, drawer position etc. were all just a matter of personal preference. The biggest drawer for holding routers, bigger drawers for boxed bit sets, accessories etc. and the smaller drawers for individual bits and accessories. Metal ball bearing, full extension slides on all of the drawers.
I rigged up the LS fence so that it can be completely removed when not in use and the top of the cabinet doubles as an assembly table. The back half I added some T-track and an Kreg clamping plate. One of the things I would have done differently would have been to give myself a bit of an overhang around the top for clamping purposes. Hasn't been an issue when using the router, but when using the cabinet as an assembly table, clamping capabilities would be a nice plus. The castors are 2" and probably should have been 3" or bigger. The current wheels are fine but only because I don't need to move the table around too much.
I incorporated 2 kill switches which I have found to be very nice to have. A bump with a knee and she's turned off.
Thats pretty much a rough overview of the table. Think about what you want to do, and what you MIGHT want to do later on. Give yourself plenty of table top space to work with. Table height is important in so much, build yours to a height that is comfortable for you. Budget is always a big factor. My advise is always to go with the best you can afford or save up for. I nickle and dimed this table for quite a while until I got what I wanted not what I was willing to settle for.
I'll be more than happy to help ya out and answer any questions you may have.

Bill

· Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Wow! What a testament to the power of this great forum! I post a reply/question to a four-year-old post and Bill responds with great info and and positive support and feedback. After spending at least four hours checking out various threads on Sunday afternoon I can honestly say I have never seen an online site that defines "community" more than Router Forums". Thank you, Bill, and everyone else that gives so much time and thought!

My pleasure Curtis...

We may not all see eye to eye, but thats what keeps it interesting :yes2: You can ask a simple question and get a half dozen different options in response. I'll be keeping an eye out for how your table progress's.

Make a little sawdust and enjoy :)

1 - 19 of 24 Posts