Router Forums banner

Wanted! pictures of your router table!

667K views 1K replies 386 participants last post by  jw2170 
#1 ·
Okay members, here is your chance to brag. My son in GA, wants to see pictures of router tables to give him some ideas for his. I told him to look at mine and he don't need to see any others, but he didn't believe me. :)
So here are 3 of mine to get us started. Lets show him what you got.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Come on fellows!!!! This is for my son. He don't like mine, because they are too elaborate. He has a custom cabinet/furniture shop. He needs a table he can cut the OP type dovetail drawers on! He has the PC routers already and the OP system. He needs help on which lift system to get and a more functional table. (not sure I understand that part, I've been able to do anything I have wanted to on mine so far??)
Note: I have the old type Jessem lifts, which have served me well, but I'm sure there are better ones out there by now!

So please help him!!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I want to thank the members who took the time to post their work. I am totally surprised that out of over 300 visitors to this thread only 4 of you have tables, or were willing to share their idea of a good table. In the short time I have been with you, I have seen dozens of questions about which table design is best. I figured here would be a thread in which we could get many ideas; a thread that new comers could go to for ideas. Everyone has their own opinion as to what design best suits their needs. And as someone here has said, the first one rarely is what we want anyway! We don’t know what we need until we have made one and used it. I didn’t mean for this to be a contest, but a thread for different ideas for the many different needs of the woodworker. I know that I must have looked at a hundred tables before I started on my first table. It would have been nice to have them all in one place!
Maybe as a newbie myself, I posted this wrong, should I have posted it as a poll thread?

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Charles,
I gotta ask. Are you making aquariums? Looking at your post. It reminds me of when the shop had me make two 1,000 gallon tanks (one salt, one fresh) for the wing commander’s lobby. That was a learning experience!!

Discussion starter · #18 ·
"Now that what I'm Talking About" Guess I just needed to beg a little.

Deb, what's the white hinged box on the right? Looks like a vacuum table?

John, I like the idea of using a tool box. Did you change the drawer slides? Only thing I don't like is the slides on some craftsman boxes, don't open far enough. How wide is your skis, do you get any bowing? John and I been Talking about what is best thing to use for the rods.

James, I want another table but don't have the room. Does that one fold up? Looks like just what I need. Sure looks like a big router, what is that?

Rick, looks like a nice fence. Do you have a closeup of that?
Thanks for getting us started.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
want to thank everyone for taking the time to show off their tables!
I came across a couple more, Let's hope their builders don't mind me borrowing their images.
If you haven't posted yours yet, "Get Her Done!" Maybe someone will build a super table, with ideas from every table posted. That would be something to see!!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #176 ·
WOW!
When I started this thread I had no idea that it would keep going this long. Thanks to each and all posters. Lots of great stuff here,
"We showed you ours, lets see yours...LOL. Has you son built his table yet?"
James, Three of mine (The ones I use Most) are with my first post! I have 2 more, but they are the old craftsman, portables, not worth showing!!!!
Unfortunately the VA has told my son that he is 100 disabled and must close his business. (Long story) He don’t have room in his garage for all his tools, we don’t know what he will be doing at this point.

Discussion starter · #199 ·
Jim, I have the Jet fence and sliding table, love them both. I thought the price was fair! Only thing I would change, would be getting the micro adjustment.
Harry

Discussion starter · #203 ·
Wanted to thank all you that have posted here. I had no idea it would draw so much attention, when I started it. Sorry I haven't been online much lately, due to have another back surgery Apr 13th. Been getting things in order, just in CASE!! Dr. tells me this is the last one he will do. If it don't work then I have to have disk replacement and fusion. Hope that you guys will remember me in yours prayers. I believe that does help!
Harry

Discussion starter · #251 ·
Hello all,
I can't believe this thread is still going. At least some good has come of it! Glad everyone is enjoying it. Unfortunately my son has had to close his shop and is about 95% disabled. Shame for someone so young (47) who loved woodworking so much! All part of the greater plan I supposed.
I’m slowly recovering from my surgery; hope to get back into my shop in a few months. Family and doctors think I should sell it off, but not yet. Time will tell. Didn’t mean to dump on you guys, just want to explain why I hadn’t been around. Good luck and thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Discussion starter · #288 ·
Hello Harry in TX: I see your post about 22 yrs in USAF. I'M a TEXAN born and bred , back in TX (25YRS) after serving 32 yrs in the GREAT USAF. Now I'm in ANDERSON county, Palestine. Please post your location.
I'm near San Antonio, TX
I can't believe this thread is still going!!! The number of times it has been viewed is un-real!! Sorry I haven’t been around much! Been downsizing, selling off some of my bigger machines and stuff I’m not able use anymore. We spend a lifetime gathering up our ‘man toys’ only to have to get rid of them!
Only thing I’ve did lately was make this little Family Bible case for my niece!
Cheers all!!
Harry

Attachments

Discussion starter · #363 ·
Hello all!
Sorry I haven't been around much. I won't bore you, with all my complaints about getting old! I will give you young members some good advice. Don't let your pride stop you from asking for help! Lifting that 600+ pound log, machine, beam, etc. by yourself doesn’t prove a darn thing except you are an idiot.:nono: Ever injury, you laugh off now, will come back to get you. You can take this old ex-muscle bond ape's word on that!! One more back surgery and I will need a zipper. You older members, that know what I mean, please add me to your prayer list. Enough of my whining!
I’m both pleased and downright amazed that this thread is still going! Over 60,000 views, hmmmmm, wish I had thought to ask each viewer to donate a buck. Could pay off some of these medical bills. ( Just joshing!):D
So many great ideas, I think I’m going to start myself a photo album of all these tables, before something happens to this thread. So many tables from the most basic to the ones that look more like fine furniture than a router table. Again thanks for your input; I hope others have enjoyed this thread as much as I have!
Bless you ALL!
Harry

Discussion starter · #482 ·
HI All;
Just wanted to thank everyone for making this thread,"The best collection of router tables on the Internet" When I started it, I had no idea it last this long.
Thanks again!
God Bless
Harry, TX

Discussion starter · #588 ·
Hello Gang,
Wow, can't believe my thread is still going! So many great ideas, just when I think that’s all; someone posts a new idea. My hat is off to you all! Great job!
An update to those of you has been asking about my son. He is no longer able to work in his shop. In fact he has sold all but his mini-lathe and a few hand tools. He was such a active man, this has been really hard on him.

“Dan” I purchased the shut off switches from Rockler, they have changed it a little and increased the price since I purchased mine. Peach Tree Woodworking and Amazon have them too. If you do a Google search for ‘Power tool safety switch’ you might find one without the cords. Sorry, I’m took so long in responding to you, I don’t get here as often as I use to.
Harry

Discussion starter · #593 ·
Hi Gang,
You may remember me telling you that my son (the one I started this thread for) now has MS.(Multiple sclerosis) and had to close his cabinet shop and sell most of his equipment!:(
Like me he has sawdust in his blood; he has found something he can do on his mini-lathe.
He calls these tiny bird houses Mosquito Houses, made from exotic and regular woods.
Thought you might enjoy seeing them and that they might encourage any of you with disabilities not to give up.
Harry

Attachments

Discussion starter · #712 ·
:dance3: I sure have enjoyed seeing what everyone else is doing. Always knew this forum has the best wood workers, hands down!
When I started this thread back in 09, I had no idea it would last this long! I have even found references to it on other forums. WOW is all I can say, keep up the great work!
REGARDS
the other Harry

Discussion starter · #848 ·
Harry.
Very nice setup,great work. After looking at yours I cover mine with a blanket when I leave the shop.Just when I think I'm getting good I see work like yours and say,:sad: not there yet!
Ed
Thanks for the kind words! None of us started at the top, for years my router table was a sink cutout clamped atop a set of saw horses. Pride in what you do, is more important than what your tools look like.
I sure enjoy wandering back to this thread and seeing all the fine ideas. Can't believe how it has grown! I thank each and every one of you for making my thread one of the biggest I have seen!
Harry
the Texas one!

Discussion starter · #985 ·
Tim,
Welcome aboard; I think you will find what you need here! Looking at yours I would maybe suggest a couple changes; 1. The modular blocks are a good way to hold your bits, I started that way. But I think you will find as you get more and more router bits, the blocks take up a lot more space. I can't tell for sure if you have the plastic inserts. Wood swells and contracts with the humidity, nothing worst than having to use pliers to get an $90 bit out of the wood. plus some species will cause the shank to rust or pit. I use the sink cutouts, some shops will give them away, some charge a couple bucks. Take a look at page one, 1st post. 2. You have a really nice fence, add a replaceable insert in the middle. Cut the ends at 45 degrees, to capture the insert. 3. I would get rid of that hole by making the opening a little deeper, taper the sides and bottom toward the vacuum. 4. Put a on/off switch outside the box, in case you need to shut it off quickly.
Mine is wired up to turn the vac on too, then I turn on the router. These are a few things I learned by trial and error. But this is your setup, there is really no right or wrong way. Make it do what you want. There are hundreds of ideas in this thread. Size of your shop will be a big factor. Keep us posted and lots of photos.
Harry (the real one from TX)