1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
23,784 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Nice setup Jim

=====

This is a WIP and is my first router table... but I'm experimenting a bit. Up until a bit ago it was an Incra / Jessem lift, PC router and Incra Fence. The last few days I've added the second router (a plunge with a bitjack for table-plunging) and a pin router arm. The plunger can also use the incra fence. I'm hoping to try out some mortise-making with it.

The miter gauge is from my table saw but was designed to fit if needed. The miter track also has Tee track. I still need to make the cabinet base.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
I guess I should add some snapshots of the router tables in the shop ..

=======

Attachments

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Bob

I should clean the shop up like yours but I'm always making a mess :)

========

O-M-G!

I just drooled all over my keyboard :eek::cool::cool:

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Brad

Thanks,,I got the garden tools in the back room plus other stuff :)

=====

bobj3,

I am jealous. My garage is at the point that if I want anything new, something old has to go! That reminds me - I need to submit my plans for a tool shed to the home owners association asap. The lack of garden tools in your shop is what reminded me.

Thanks for taking time to upload some photos.

P.S. Here is a link to the kitchen I have been working on.

Latest kitchen project

Owner is still debating what finish he wants. I really have enjoyed my new router table setup. It has been a real pleasure to work with and my work has improved.

Attachments

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi

I know what you mean :), I have boxes and boxes of cut offs most hardwoods but sometimes I just need a little bit of pine or mdf .
My son will grab some now and than/then to go camping I need to watch him, he like to take the hardwoods :(
Makes me recall he had a box full of Teak and I said wait one ..

============

I was wondering where you were hiding your scrap lumber.

I need to really wittle my pile down. I just have a hard time bringing myself to throw it out or burn it.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Brian

That's a fine looking RT, nice job, I'm sure it will serve you well :)

===

Hello,
I have finally finished my Router Table/Cabinet. I chose to use the NYW plans for the cabinet and purchased a Woodpeckers Router Lift and Table.
It took me three weekends but the results were worth it.
Suggestions on improving it are most welcome.
Brian

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Kevin

" bobj3, just how many jigs do you own??"

Too many :) , I would guess over a 100 or so.. :)

=====

btracey1, your router cabinet is awesome and exactly what i want to build someday soon!

bobj3, just how many jigs do you own??

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi

Most I use all the time, I have been trying to consolidate many of them to do more that one job.
I have posted many of them that you can see in my Gallery and what they are for and how to use them..
If you start at the end of the gallery it's quicker but it can take a bit of time to see them all.. :) ( just over 8,000 snapshots)

I do love jigs, I started out like most with small items ,turning wood, making toys,small furniture,bigger and bigger furniture,boxes,etc. so now I have no more room in the house to put them so now I make jigs :) takes less room to hang them in the shop :) but I do love wood working and making saw dust..

=======

HOLY $h*T, a 100 jigs? wow
pictures of each would be to much to ask but i would love to know
what each is for, even that would be a monumental task!
do they all get used very often or just a few?

i just got into woodworking and the first things i have been making are a few jigs.

====================================================

anyway, not to get off the subject, here are pics of my table.
its a new Eagle America that is no longer made but i have decided to turn
around and sell it, i want a cabinet and a top with different options.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Mike

I almost forgot about the 1st.Horz.router table I made like yours,I also use the plan from the Hyltons book to make my copy.

My son one day said I need a router table, I pulled it off the back side of the sewing machine cabinet router table and mounted to a cabinet and he took it home for his standard router table :) I think he is still using it. :)

=====

I posted my main router table yesterday but forgot to include a couple of others I have. The first one is yet another Bill Hylton designed horizonal router table. I haven't used it as much as I should because my old router was more difficult to demount from my main table. This won't be a problem any longer with the quick action attachments I got from with my Trend router.

Pictured below is yet another router table. It's not a very interesting table, but it has a story to go with it.

I saw box posted on a scroll saw forum around last Christmas by a lady from Australia. It had some amazing scroll work on it, but the box construction was pretty poor and ruined the whole effect.

I wrote her a private message saying it wouldn't too difficult to make a box which would better showcase her outstanding skills and that I would be willing to help her out with it. She was positive to the idea so I started up a tutorial with text and pictures via email.

The idea was to show her how to construct a box using box joints cut on her scroll saw. Her main tool kit is a router, a scroll saw and a band saw. I thought to use the scroll saw because she is most familiar with that and the instructions would be simpler to write and follow. It all went great, but when we got the part where grooves have to be made for the bottom and maybe the top, we would have to use the router, but we agreed that a router table would be best for her.

She said she didn't want to spend much money, so I had to figure out a table made from scraps that was very small and could easily be clamped to a table or bench. I won't bore you with all the details except to say that I built one so I could send her pictures on how to do it. The criteria for the table was Bare bones, very cheap, simple and safe. The funny thing is that after the work was done and the photos and text sent to her she replied a little sheepishly that she got a great bargain on a table at a home center, and did I mind? Well, of course I didn't and I had some fun making this little table. Since then she had made a very beautiful box with box joints and posted it on another forum and she is justifiably proud of it.

The pictures show some project details. No impressive craftsmanship here. Made it in a couple of hours not including glue time. The whole thing is based on those two frames you see pictured.

The first pic shows the finished base. Note the protruding bottom which serves as clamping ears. The last one shows a test rout after completion.

· Registered
23,784 Posts

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Harry

That jack should come in handy when you need to change a handle (tire) :).

========

This quickly made auxiliary table made by a friend of mine who needed a second table in a hurry, is very basic, but look at the height adjustment that he tells me gives a very fine adjustment.

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Darrin

Looking good but I will suggest using the HF plate because your router will be on the far left of your top..you may need to cut the plate down or turn it at 90 deg. to get the router in the center of the hole below the plate...

Router Table Plate

Holes on the top right side, a great place for some pull out drawers, for items that you will use all the time, wrenches,etc. and some router bits in the 2nd drawer, but not just a pull out board for the bits to sit in a real drawer, the more you do the more bits you will want to have in that place..

Trim
Glue and biscuits will do the job fine you don't need the nasty looking screws on the trim work..:(

Fence

You will need to make one to fit your top, for the router on the far to the left side of the top, I will suggest a swing fence out of some MDF stock, but make it the long type so you can clamp it to the out sides edges of the top when you need to..but the swing fence will do the job 90% of the time..

============
Here are some pictures of a router table I started on over a year ago and had to stop. I had completed the cabinet and the top with the exception of applying the laminate. The top is two pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together. Everything is built from scraps besides the top and the wheels. The face frame is 2X4's ripped and put together with pocket screws. The cabinet itself is scrap plywood, and let me tell you it was not easy working with since it is not cabinet grade and had some waves in it. It did not turn out exactly square, but not bad for my first cabinet.

I finally got started again, and put the wheel on and applied the laminate. I figure I would take some in process pictures. I do not have an insert yet, but I do have my eye on the Rockler Lift FX. Comments welcome and appreciated. :yes4:

I am going to trim the edges with oak. I wanted to wait until I completed the cut out for the insert, but I'm not sure when I will be able to get it, so I am going go ahead with the trim and hope I don't mess up on the cut out for the insert. For the trim, would you just glue it, or glue and screw it. How about some biscuits? Do you think there necessary?

For the fence, I wanted something fancy, but ignorance is bliss, so I think I will settle for a jointed and planed 2X4 and clamps for now. After reading the long post on the best router fence, I was perplexed to say the least.

I am going to put doors on the lower half and the router compartment, and I am not sure what I will do with the two compartments on the top left. I may put drawers, or a may put a door and sliding trays. Either way, all those will wait until the table is finished so I can use it to make the doors and drawers.

Darrin

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi

I would suggest no doors,,the drawer fronts will dress it up :) something like a 1/2" over lay on the drawer fronts...

When you use the table the doors will always be open the norm I would suggest 4 nice drawers with fronts and no door over the router port hole box, once you get a Vac.system than you can add a door over it but they are in the way most of the time :) and coke off the air supply to the router most of the time..:dance3:but it's going to be a nice router station..

==========

Thanks for the input Bob! I think I will go with drawers as you suggested, and not just the trays. Probably no drawer fronts, but a door to cover both openings.

For the fence that's what I had in mind, a swing style that would just clamp on both ends.

For the plate, how much room do I need below the table? The HF and the Lift FX are close to the same size, with the HF one being slightly larger. The opening below the table where the router will go is 16 1/4" wide and 19" deep.

For trim, I agree on not having the screws, so biscuits and glue it is.

Thanks!

Darrin

· Registered
23,784 Posts
How many tools do you have in the shop that box in the motor with all the saw dust,not to many I think,,many say the switch on my router will not work any more ,gee I wonder why..the router is not made to work in air tight box.. :(
Not to say anything about the door is always in the way when you are using the router.. :(

http://www.amazon.com/CMT-999-500-0...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1294364877&sr=1-1

==========

Attachments

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Michael

You did a nice job on the new shop by the way, that's going to be a nice one :) I have short tables and tall tables and the desk you have will make a nice router table ,I think,The short one comes in handy when you need to do big/tall stock or to do the finish work on drawers/boxes etc. so I would say go for it..

Can't have to many router tables and now you have the room to have many.

==========

¿13 pages? Its 39 pages on my computer. I agree, a good bottom platform for the two MDF panels to live on would be ideal and will be probably what I choose to do also. I know I said I was going to use an old drafting table set of legs but I was just out there in the shop and that old metal desk was speaking to me. I've been contemplating sending it to the recyclers but it just might make a good router table frame. I could cut a hole right in the center and then place the MDF panels on it, ¿que no? :D

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Bruce

If you are going to use the same Bosch router in you new table you don't need to make a lift for it like Cassandra's, the router has a built in one. :) but I see in your snapshot you are not using it now.

=======

=======

· Registered
23,784 Posts
Hi Mike

Nice job :)

=====

I have looked in at this thread quite a few times before and I'm always impressed with all the different router table set ups out there. I have a router mounted in the wing of my table saw and I also have a stand alone router table, here is a look at the stand alone table.
I built this router table a few of years ago now, then the winter before last I added a Woodpecker router lift and a Porter Cable 7518. I then decided to build a door for the front since I had no need to work under the table any more. I seen an article in an issue of Fine Woodworking where they use a router jig to make some neat looking lattice (#211 I think). I decided that would look good in my router table. The router table has a built in mobile base, the cabinet is built out of 3/4” MDF, the drawers are made out of 1/2” Baltic Birch plywood with Western Birch for drawer fronts and trim, the grill on the door is made out of a left over piece of Purple heart, the table top is two pieces of 3/4” MDF glued and screwed with a Veritas fence. This thing is rock solid and a pleasure to use. I added a couple of pictures of the micro adjust that I made for the fence, it was very easy to make and could be adapted to many other styles of fences. Thanks for having a look.

Mike

· Registered
23,784 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts