Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorting through my scraps i found a laminated block that was an offcut from a previous bandsaw box drawer that just called to me and said "ring box, ring box".
So i made my smallest box yet.
Its only 2 1/4" x 2" x 1 1/4" high. Quite difficult to make with my fat fingers, but it came out nice I think. made from rosewood, ply, and beech.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Great use of cut offs/outs. Your laminations make it really nice. Like to see the donor BS box, too. Bet it's special.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
So part of the box is plywood? That is a nice box. Will the next one be smaller from the scraps left over from this one?

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Now that IS beautiful Bob.

Reactions: Barry747

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great use of scrap. What did you use to make the hing for the top?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just realised I didnt post the first box pics.

You can see theres not much wastage. Shant be cutting any smaller boxes though. I dont do model making:surprise:.

I use birch ply in between hard wood layers, gives a lot of character.
On the ring box I used 1.5 mm (1/16") hard steel wire for the hinges, set into blind holes in the lid and end pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Nice little box from scrap that most people would have tossed. As some said, let's see the box you make from the scrap left from that box.

I wish my scrap looked like your scrap.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Super!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great use of scrap. What did you use to make the hing for the top?
Bob,

Fantastic! I am a "newbie" to box making. Is there any way you could make a more detailed/close up picture, and/or explanation, of the hinge. I have never tried to make a box with wooden hinges.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jimmy, I havent used wooden hinges.
I used very stiff steel wire, like a gas jet pricker, but 1.5 mm thick. On a bigger box I would use 4 mm brass rod.

Have you made any bandsaw boxes?
you get the approximate outside shape cut first, then slice off the two ends, cut the lid shape off and then cut out the middle section.

When assembling the box for gluing, you drill a hole about 8 mm deep at the back edge on each side of the lid that is a tight fit for the pins.
Mark the sides where those pins are and drill a blind hole on each end. Leave 2 mm of wood at least or the pins might work their way through the ends. Glue up with the lid on the hinge pins and in place. When set, sand to the final shape so all edges are flush.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the "hinge" explanation. I'll have to give it a go and see what happens. I have only made only one wooden box. Cut the top off on the TS and used brass hinges.

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts