Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you work in your shop when you are out of it. Such as illness, tiredness, and just plain aggrivated with other things. Now that I have another health issue I want to go play in my wood shop. But I'm keeping myself away because I know that I won't 100% focused in my work and what I'm actually doing to my project so to be safe I'm reading books on wood working to keep the ideas coming and when I'm better. But until I start feeling better no shop time until then so I don't have any mishaps. I think this a good piece of advise for all even myself. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
For sure Glenmore you need to be focus, thats when accidents can happen.
What i do when i dont feel well,enough to be running machines ,is i will go out and do a clean up..of all my tools, for eg Table saw , Jointer, i clean the tops and grease the mechanical parts., clean up the blades.and router bits. Empty the Dust collector .
I Take the air gun and blow the dust off the tops of the lights , boy does it collect up there..a real fire hazard.
Try and make more room by adding shelves., and hangers.
Maybe sharpen up a few chisels and planer blades.
This way everything is ready for when i want to start a new project.

Hickory

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Friends;
I have that problem a lot, my solutions are don't use the power tools! I draw my own plans even if I have store bought and decide on the joinery I'm going to use and then recalculate the cutting plan. I also find it useful to sort through my scap box now and then and find pieces that I can make something with my hand tools. A tip, IF YOU THINK THAT IT IS TOO SHORT TO CUT WITH THE POWER SAW - IT IS!!
When you have your mind on your work you are ready to go.
Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
:sold: I couldn't agree with you all more! That is the primary reason why I don't get the productive shop time I need anymore. I am able to do a lot of research and other stuff on my computer, but I can't do that in the shop. :mad: :(

I did get a little good news today though. When I went to the VA today, they gave me a TENS device for my legs. Maybe I will get some relief from that and will be able to stand longer than a few minutes at a time. Time will tell.

Work safe guys. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm sure staying away from the power equipment is the smart thing.

I think if I were in your shoes I'd tried hand woodworking. Planes to flatten and square stock; brace and bit with a mortise chisel to cut mortices; hand cut dovetails; or carving. Hand woodworking can be done at a pace that fits how you feel any given day and certainly carving can be done sitting (even in the living room if your wife isn't too fussy).

I personally work with wood for how it makes me feel... to change the wood into something else and the sense of accomplishment. My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pop_pop1 said:
:sold: I couldn't agree with you all more! That is the primary reason why I don't get the productive shop time I need anymore. I am able to do a lot of research and other stuff on my computer, but I can't do that in the shop. :mad: :(

I did get a little good news today though. When I went to the VA today, they gave me a TENS device for my legs. Maybe I will get some relief from that and will be able to stand longer than a few minutes at a time. Time will tell.

Work safe guys. ;)

Hey Pop_pop,

I can appreciate your message more than you know. I did the "TENS" routine about 15 years ago. I'm fused L-4 through S-1 now which has made my life about 500% better. If the problem is your back (which it sounds like) here's an owners manual for a bad back. http://www.911healthshop.com/acowibadobyd.html

I truly hope this helps! It helped me.
Regards,
CB

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I'm not feeling my best, I stay out of the woodshop. But then come to think of it I feel petty good most of the time. ;)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Hickory
Back in '89 I was in a rollover accident, and darn near broke my neck.. Tore some muscles and injured nerves in my neck.. The pain was not at all fun.. I recieved a TENS unit and wore it on my neck for more than a year.. It worked wonders.. No pain meds were needed..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hickory said:
Pop how is the Tens working out..I am thinking about trying one also.

Hickory
:) Hi Hickory, long time no here from you. :( A lot has happened since I last heard from you. I had to go back into the hospital a few months ago. My new doctor told me not to use the tens unit. He revised my meds list and took a different approach to getting me back on my feet. It took him several days and a myriad of tests, but he finally decided on a neurological problem that neither my family nor I had heard of. It is a fairly uncommon transient nerve problem that I can't remember the name of. Anyway he changed my meds and has me feeling a whole lot better.

As far as the Tens unit goes, when I had it on it did make a difference for the better, as long as I could keep it together. The case would separate and then it would go off, till I got it snapped back together. Then I had to set it up again. What a pain. I finally had to glue the case together. Then there was the electrode leads always popping off. Another, even bigger pain. Bottom line is it did help, but was a pain to use. I'm not using it now. I'm not using it now though. Since I got my meds changed I'm doing great, and very little leg pain. I still can only work a couple of hours at a time. I am grossly out of shape, but I'm working on that too. (Me and my Total Gym.) :p

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book. Chuck

·
Registered
82 Posts
POP glad your doing better..Pain is no fun..It can change u from a nice easy going person to a monster. If u dont mind me asking what pain meds are you taking for the leg pain..I am on Oxycontin and it does nothing. I have Fibromyalgia so my whole body is nothing but a pain..:-( it helps in other areas but i havent found anything to get into the calf muscles and stop the burning and aching.

Hickory

·
Registered
143 Posts
:( Dam Hickory, I thought I was in bad shape. I feel for you Buddy. You're right, pain, especially chronic pain can drive you out of your mind. Two of the meds I was taken off of was Oxycodone, and Neurontin. They didn't do me much good either, but if I missed a dose or ran out of one, I could really tell it.
They put me on a fairly new medicine called Lyrica CV, 75 Mg twice a day, and Tegretol,200 Mg twice a day, Darvocet 100-650 3 times a day. That combination has really made a huge difference for the better. The pain in my legs is caused by nerve damage and at times was almost unbearable. Those 3 pills are making the pain almost non existent. The down side to them is that unless I get up and move around, I'll go to sleep. After a couple of hours in my recliner I'm fine.
I hope your doctors can find the right combination for you too. Take care, Chuck

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hickory, Pop Pop1
I wish you both the very best with your struggles with pain. Chronic pain certainly is a pain. Sometimes it can be controlled by medication or by TENS, but medicine and physical therapy are still as much art as science (I have had several of my specialiasts say that to me).

On the other side, feeling no pain can be even worse. I have limited sensation below mid abdomen and have on several occaisions had second degree burns of which I was unaware. I also regularly rip toenails, get scratches and cuts that I do not know about, etc. My legs however tend to tense up and curl up, and that I do feel. I cannot control movements of my legs unless I can see them. I have to take muscle relaxants and I take three other medications that all have as the first listed side effect drowsiness. Thus the number of hours I can work is limited. I have a full time day job that keeps me busy both physically and mentally. I have two kids to put through college so retirement is not an option for about 10 years.

In the meantime I relax by designing and building things using my router. When I feel it is unsafe to do the physical work I design projects.

I would hope we can all support each other and share interests and enthusiasm for router work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Mftha....Thanks for the encouragement. You're right about it being a pain. I try to get a couple of hours in every day, but some days I just don't feel like doing anything. I figure if I live long enough, they will find a cure for all our ailments, then we will live forever. :p :D
You take care, and watch out for those Bunson Burners. :rolleyes: LMAO.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I don't know how i missed this one.

I also have a chronic pain disorder ,fibromyalgia
it hurts like heck. all the time.
i don't take any medication.
i find woodworking helps my pain somewhat , it keeps my mind busy
there are days that i can barely move. mostly if it rains or any damp whether.
i am now retired due to an injury .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks Bj for the link. I just scanned it and it looks like something I want to read in depth. There are several meds mentioned That I take or have taken.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Guys

The ONLY thing that works for me is, 2 Tylenol at 7:00AM,2 at 12:00 noon, 2 at 11:00PM and that's been going on for about 12 years just like clock work and if I miss one I know it.
It's been a real PAIN but it works for me.

Bj :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts