Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is cooler than I expected too! I stressed out w----a----y tooo much !
The Millwright Mega V is soo smooth,, and the V Carve pro , is really easy to work with as well.
Thanks for everyone's help,,,,, it was kind of weird to see it take off with v-bit in it the very first time, cutting a piece of cedar,,, cut it butter!
makita router was not crazy loud ,but i wear ear plugs anyways,,,

Have a blessed day,
Ray

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
+1 what they said.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say the software is easy, what was the learning curve?
I'll start with the easy one . There was a little learning curve but I know from past learn the basics best you can and add on from there, like building a foundation. When I finally put a v bit in the router and plugged it up, was the first time I transferred a file from v carve pro to ugs, other than I let it run air a little testing everything. There is tons of stuff I am still learning , but I really try to anticipate the little things that causes bad stuff.
I am very pleased with V carve pro. I actually did the programs to run all these little test runs , 4 total in about 10 minutes tops. I did the bigger star not really measuring like I should have on a piece cedar just to see it cut something. Then I downsized it about an inch, cut it again. The I put a circle in the smaller star and cut it, this was all very quick and easy. I remembered I told myself I would carve Jesus is Lord in my first piece, so I went back selected the vector on the circle, typed it in, saved it, sent it carved it. I forgot to turn the router back on in the down leg of the L, OPPS. ;0 But I am very pleased with V carve pro, I am in it for the long haul.
Pictures and tiny video soon, I'll have to call my granddaughter , the smart one on computers, ;)

Have a blessed day ,
Ray

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll start with the easy one . There was a little learning curve but I know from past learn the basics best you can and add on from there, like building a foundation. When I finally put a v bit in the router and plugged it up, was the first time I transferred a file from v carve pro to ugs, other than I let it run air a little testing everything. There is tons of stuff I am still learning , but I really try to anticipate the little things that causes bad stuff.
I am very pleased with V carve pro. I actually did the programs to run all these little test runs , 4 total in about 10 minutes tops. I did the bigger star not really measuring like I should have on a piece cedar just to see it cut something. Then I downsized it about an inch, cut it again. The I put a circle in the smaller star and cut it, this was all very quick and easy. I remembered I told myself I would carve Jesus is Lord in my first piece, so I went back selected the vector on the circle, typed it in, saved it, sent it carved it. I forgot to turn the router back on in the down leg of the L, OPPS. ;0 But I am very pleased with V carve pro, I am in it for the long haul.
Pictures and tiny video soon, I'll have to call my granddaughter , the smart one on computers, ;)

Have a blessed day ,
Ray
Wood Triangle Rectangle Orange Wood stain

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,076 Posts
Great outcome Ray.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm feeling a little more comfortable with it now. Messed up my first piece, learning experience, neighbor liked it so that's cool. I was using pieces of cedar I already cut for something else, that worked perfect for trying this out, getting used to it. I can see this be coming addictive in a good way. I want to / will teach my grand children how to do this as well. A really good friend of mine passed a couple weeks ago that always encouraged me to push my abilities to the limit and beyond as well. I might have just said this stuff seems too difficult to learn, without that kind of encouragement.
I AIN'T EVEN GOT STARTED YET! :)

Have a blessed day everyone,
Ray

·
Administrator
David
3,986 Posts
I AIN'T EVEN GOT STARTED YET!
Here's a little tip for you, Ray; run your toolpath again to clean up the lettering or other engraving. You might drop Z by 0.001" for the second pass in softer woods but that should clean it up nicely.

David

PS - good job on your first project!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is cooler than I expected too! I stressed out w----a----y tooo much !
The Millwright Mega V is soo smooth,, and the V Carve pro , is really easy to work with as well.
Thanks for everyone's help,,,,, it was kind of weird to see it take off with v-bit in it the very first time, cutting a piece of cedar,,, cut it butter!
makita router was not crazy loud ,but i wear ear plugs anyways,,,

Have a blessed day,
Ray
I have the same setup as you. While you are learning, take baby steps. Here is a link to Mark Lindsay's tutorials CNC for Beginners - YouTube

You will learn a LOT from him when you are just getting started. He takes it nice and slow you understand better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 3rd shot at it, and thank you everyone for your advice/help/ and encouragement. We are caught up at work now, my real job:) , so looking forward to this weekend :) That is my Grand father's putty knife , he would be proud. :)
Wood Font Gas Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
437 Posts
Love the cedar. Great job on the carving. You are going to have a blast with your new tool.

Next step is to learn to make your own 2.5d patterns. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the same setup as you. While you are learning, take baby steps. Here is a link to Mark Lindsay's tutorials CNC for Beginners - YouTube

You will learn a LOT from him when you are just getting started. He takes it nice and slow you understand better.
I have been watching Mark for a while now, he is good and takes it really slow, a great teacher of cnc and V carve. I have also been watching Garrett Fromme as I find myself getting really addicted to running a little something everyday now. I've got to replace my foam board/ wasteboard with a piece of mdf because the foam is ok'ish but it flexes quite a bit. Maybe today I'll get that taken care of, depending on the rain here.

Have a blessed weekend,
Ray

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.