Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RouterForum members, “we”, the moderation team are in need of your assistance. We are attempting to create a Section in the main page to help answer many “FAQ’s”. What we are needing/looking for, are, links to answers for the following “topics”. We will limit the # of links per topic, (with some exceptions). We will have this section closed for any comments BUT, we WILL have a thread specifically for discussion of such. You may either post your links to this thread or send them via private message to any member of the Moderation Team. Below are the “topics”, if you feel we’re missing something, please post it in this thread or again, via PM.

FAQ’s Frequently Asked Questions about routers.

How to use this FAQ
Manuals and equipment diagrams (a link to the reference section)
Getting Started, Selecting your first router
Designing and building a router table
Router table mounting techniques: Direct, Plate, Lift
Guides, Templates, and Bits
Jigs and Fixtures
Hand-held and General Routing Techniques
Useful Tidbits, Videos, Books, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob, we'll see what we can do. :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Please try to make it neccessary for new members to use a name and location! Or try to convey that with out that done, They will not as many returns. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Howard,

I believe that this was a discussion we had with Mark a while back. It's felt, that if that info is pressured from the start of registering, that, that may turn people away. It's a catch 22!! The best we can do is, what' we've being doing. Simply asking and having it in signatures to help promote people in doing so. I've seen a few, have already done so just by this method, viewing signatures that is. We can toss it on the table for discussion again though.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Rusty, every bit of info that can be collected and sorted through is always helpful. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fellow RouterForum members, “we”, the moderation team are in need of your assistance. We are attempting to create a Section in the main page to help answer many “FAQ’s”. What we are needing/looking for, are, links to answers for the following “topics”. We will limit the # of links per topic, (with some exceptions). We will have this section closed for any comments BUT, we WILL have a thread specifically for discussion of such. You may either post your links to this thread or send them via private message to any member of the Moderation Team. Below are the “topics”, if you feel we’re missing something, please post it in this thread or again, via PM.

FAQ’s Frequently Asked Questions about routers.

How to use this FAQ
Manuals and equipment diagrams (a link to the reference section)
Getting Started, Selecting your first router
Designing and building a router table
Router table mounting techniques: Direct, Plate, Lift
Guides, Templates, and Bits
Jigs and Fixtures
Hand-held and General Routing Techniques
Useful Tidbits, Videos, Books, etc.
How about a " How to build "....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Possibly a listing of router terms and abbreviations. It could be here and I haven’t found it yet since I am just getting started going through the threads.

I am retired (that can be read as being older) and from the forums that I moderate I have come to the conclusion that topics like this will/can be used by some people, but probably not all. (The members that “stay” will be the ones that will probably use it and the “fly bys” will probably not.) With the internet being what it is, a source for quick answers, many will not take the time to read even the FAQ when they can just post the question and hopefully get their answer. Does this mean that I think it is a bad idea or a waste of time? Heck no. But I don’t think that it will eliminate the questions like ‘Which ______ should I get?’

Just my 2¢ and maybe not worth that.

Jerry

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jerry

At one time we had one but it got lost when the server went down about a year ago. :(
But you can find many on the http://www.routerforums.com/routerforums-com-news-feedback/WWW..

Glossary of Wood Router Terms - just-wood-routers.com
Router (woodworking) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Router Bit Profiles Glossary of Terms

Sawdust Making 101 a guide for the beginning woodworker

========

Possibly a listing of router terms and abbreviations. It could be here and I haven’t found it yet since I am just getting started going through the threads.

I am retired (that can be read as being older) and from the forums that I moderate I have come to the conclusion that topics like this will/can be used by some people, but probably not all. (The members that “stay” will be the ones that will probably use it and the “fly bys” will probably not.) With the internet being what it is, a source for quick answers, many will not take the time to read even the FAQ when they can just post the question and hopefully get their answer. Does this mean that I think it is a bad idea or a waste of time? Heck no. But I don’t think that it will eliminate the questions like ‘Which ______ should I get?’

Just my 2¢ and maybe not worth that.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
perhaps a listing by "state" as to locations where one might find wood for sale. Notating specifics per location such as specializing in hardwoods, exotics, veneers, slabs, small orders, kiln/steam dried lumber, contact info etc. keeping the listing to the specifics. Should someone want more info the OP can be contacted. This would avoid posting of not so "verifiable" or negative comments. Perhaps something like a simple form can be filled out per entry..

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Hi Ken, We talked about the member thing earlier, I do not propose making folks sign location, One forum that i use has a a state flag that in on the profile page, and when you sign in, you pick your state flag is yours. It's a part of sign-up that is never mentioned again. This was what i for seen, and not having yo ask, again. Sorry to be a bother on this, but if it could be done here,,, Something to think about

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ken, We talked about the member thing earlier, I do not propose making folks sign location, One forum that i use has a a state flag that in on the profile page, and when you sign in, you pick your state flag is yours. It's a part of sign-up that is never mentioned again. This was what i for seen, and not having yo ask, again. Sorry to be a bother on this, but if it could be done here,,, Something to think about
Hi Howard,

I'll have to ask you to get with the Mod team, I'm retired now.;):yes4::D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i hope so Deb,:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
What we are needing/looking for, are, links to answers for the following “topics”. We will limit the # of links per topic, (with some exceptions). We will have this section closed for any comments BUT, we WILL have a thread specifically for discussion of such. You may either post your links to this thread or send them via private message to any member of the Moderation Team.
Hi there - new guy here and just my 2c worth on this comment / thought. I'm a member of several forums and truly believe in the power of a community coming together. I love forums! However, limiting comments to NONE within a thread makes people go somewhere else to leave a comment. This is tedious and, let's face it - we're all looking for the easy way to do something, so most comments would never get posted (or replied to). I take the stand that these threads SHOULD be open to comments and questions. If you're worried about threads getting hi-jacked (way off topic) or demeaning in anyway, the mod's can and should monitory it. Close the thread, delete the post, or just remind everyone to stay on topic.

Also, in regards to making 'First Name' mandatory? I wouldn't join a forum that requires it, for one. I like the anonymity of online forums, but I don't mind sharing lots of useful information or asking good questions. Using nicknames or handles (think CB or HAM radios) is a sense of camaraderie. Again, just my 2c!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts