Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body here know how to decide what speed a certain router bit should be used at? I'm contemplating buying a large diameter 1/2" bit but my makita router does not have speed control.
The manual just gives a vague "match weight to speed" but no specifics.
Any weight / speed charts out there?
I'd prefer actual charts rather than seat of the pants "feel

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
here.....

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
if it isn't a soft start put an external speed controller on it...

Reactions: gmercer_48083

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
What type of bit are you contemplating? If it's for raised panel doors, go for a vertical bit, it's far safer than a horizontal one spinning at around 15,000 rpm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I found a 2 3/4" bottom cleaning bit, and a lock mitre bit, but they are big boys.
I bought this 3 3/4" Forstner bit for a one off project and in the drill press at it's lowest speed it scared me. A 2 3/4" router bit spinning at a suitable speed would also scare me and I'm not easily scared but am accident conscious.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant work this out. In the USA, variable speed controllers for up to 15 amp machines are $20 or less.
In the UK, The ONLY controllers that take 15 amps are $70 and more.
The exact same pictures of the 15 amp on the amrican sites are used on the UK sites, but are then only rated for 8 amps.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Bob I thought your standard circuit was 230 volt and 7.5 amps. Is that not correct? If I remember the formula correctly then 7.5 amps at 230 volts should equal 1725 watts which is about what that Makita would be running if it was on a 110 volt 15 amp circuit here. All of our routers will run on a standard branch circuit here. Maybe Harry could respond to that. I know he's more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. If I got all that right then that might explain why you can only find an 8 amp controller.

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that has stirred the waters a bit.
UK (and Cyprus) electricity standard power circuit is 230 volts 13 amps wall socket. All power tools are supplied with a 3 pin socket that contains a 13 amp fuse.
I used an online calculator and input 230 volts and 1800 watts and it told me 15 amps. I believed this untill having read this reply.

It looks like I was misled.

I have just looked out the instruction book that came with the router and it does not state supply requirements, only that it must be fitted as per the data plate on the machine.
The machine itself is buried inside a fully enclosed router table and I am just too busy to take it all apart at the moment.

I've tried looking it up on ebay.co.uk (which is where I bought it) but it appears to no longer be sold in the UK.

Its a makita RP1800 running on 230 volts 50 cycles. If anyone can work that out please let me know.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I cant catch a break here.
just been back to ebay UK, and there are lots of 8 amp speed controllers at very good prices, but they are all rated for 1500 watt.
My router is 1800 watt. How long before the controller burns out on overload?

...at 1800W/230V, doesn't that equate to just under 8 amps...?

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Bob I thought your standard circuit was 230 volt and 7.5 amps. Is that not correct? If I remember the formula correctly then 7.5 amps at 230 volts should equal 1725 watts which is about what that Makita would be running if it was on a 110 volt 15 amp circuit here. All of our routers will run on a standard branch circuit here. Maybe Harry could respond to that. I know he's more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. If I got all that right then that might explain why you can only find an 8 amp controller.
Yes Charles, that Makita router is rated at 1850 watts and because amps equal watts divided by volts it becomes:
1850 divided by 230 which equals 8 amps. I know that the purists will point out that the formula relates to direct current but it's close enough.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nick, I dont know. I can install (from schematics), repair, and troubleshoot electrics, but I dont have the theory to work things out.
The box states max 1500w, my makita states 1800w, Thats the only maths I can do.
Gotcha...I had forgotten that 50Hz draws more current than 60Hz...about 1.2 times the power...

I'm with you...go with the specs on the box for 50Hz machines...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I found a 2 3/4" bottom cleaning bit, and a lock mitre bit, but they are big boys.
I've used the 1 3/4" bottom cleaning bit and the 1 1/4" bowl bits extensively for planing mainly hard wood using the router skis. Using such a large bit that you describe is critical that it is perfectly parallel to the board or lines will be produced. Using skis is very fast so there is little to be gained using HUGE bits.
As for the lock mitre, these two bits cover a big range of wood thicknesses up to a little over 3/4". The small one is 1 1/2" dia. and the larger one 1 3/4".

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.