Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

If you are serious about taking your hobby to the next level and start making money out of it, you should check this new Forum dedicated to the marketing and sales of your hobby.

Hello everyone, my name is Jose L Riesco and I am a small business owner and consulting expert. I will use this forum to disseminate marketing and sales ideas that can help you market and sell your router projects.

I hope you find the information in this forum useful, but as it is usual in forums, you need to participate and let me know what are your main issues, obstacles, challenges, etc. to market your products.

I am here to help you so go ahead and post your marketing and sales questions or comments :)

Sincerely,
Jose

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hello everyone,

If you are serious about taking your hobby to the next level and start making money out of it, you should check this new Forum dedicated to the marketing and sales of your hobby.

Hello everyone, my name is Jose L Riesco and I am a small business owner and consulting expert. I will use this forum to disseminate marketing and sales ideas that can help you market and sell your router projects.

I hope you find the information in this forum useful, but as it is usual in forums, you need to participate and let me know what are your main issues, obstacles, challenges, etc. to market your products.

I am here to help you so go ahead and post your marketing and sales questions or comments :)

Sincerely,
Jose
so, here's question no. 1.

How do you select a product and do the market research when you're hundreds or thousands of kilometers away from your potential market?

·
The Router Guys
791 Posts
This is great allthumbs!

I have hand picked Jose because of his expertise with Marketing the small business. So if anyone else has a question of comment be sure to jump in and ask away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Selecting and marketing your products remotely

so, here's question no. 1.

How do you select a product and do the market research when you're hundreds or thousands of kilometers away from your potential market?
Glad you ask.

I would suggest that first you do your homework by using Google (or Bing) and searching for products simililar to the ones that you are planning to sell.

You can also check in to Amazon.com and Ebay.com

Once you find the products and check their quality & price, you can offer your products via Amazon.com, Ebay.com or even create a website and add a shopping cart.

The beauty of the Internet is that you can reach the whole world from your house (or shop) so you can do your market research locally and sell to anywhere.

I will be writing some articles about how can you do this.

I hope this helps,
all the best,

Jose

·
The Router Guys
791 Posts
Jose:

Is there a way to search through Goggle or your favorite search engine to find the most popular projects.

Can we use the search engines to find a group of projects that will be considered the best sellers in the next local craft show. Maybe it is a picture frame, a paint box, a mirror frame, or a basket for silk flowers.

Can we use the Internet to help us decide what our products we would want to build.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Using online resources to do market research

Jose:

Is there a way to search through Goggle or your favorite search engine to find the most popular projects.

Can we use the search engines to find a group of projects that will be considered the best sellers in the next local craft show. Maybe it is a picture frame, a paint box, a mirror frame, or a basket for silk flowers.

Can we use the Internet to help us decide what our products we would want to build.
Sure, there are several ways to do this. I will mention 3 here:

1.- Go to Google or Bing and enter the following query:

"handmade wooden articles for sale"

You'll get a list of products such as:

KnWoodworks Handmade Birdhouses Bathouses Squirrel houses and more
Handmade wood items from Knwoodworks such as Bird houses,Bat houses,Squirrel Houses ... miscellanious items for sale link, miscellanious items for sale ...

Wooden Boxes, Book Boxes, and Other Enchanted Items for Sale Online
Wooden boxes and other enchanted items available for sale online. ... collection of handcrafted products: carved and painted wooden jewelry boxes, ...

Handcrafted Wooden Pens, Pencils and Gifts
A one stop page with links to all of my handcrafted wooden pens, kaleidoscopes, key chains, dart sets etc. that are for sale. Get yours now! ...

Natural Wood ButtonsWood Stock And Wood Gifts by ButtonBoy
Please take a moment and browse through my handcrafted tree branch buttons,wood stock, and one of a kind handcrafted wood items I have for sale. ...

These products are items that people are looking for, so there is a good chance that they are best sellers. You may also contact the stores selling these items and offer them yours. Who knows? perhaps they will be interested in buying from you or reselling your merchandise for a fee.

2.- You can also go directly to Ebay.com store and enter "handmade wooden" or if you want to be more specific "handmade wooden boxes", "handmade wooden picture frames", "handmade mirror frames", etc. and see what's available.

Ebay, because it is an online bidding marketplace, will give you the current bidding price and time left to bid.

3.- In Amazon.com you can enter (in the search box): "handmade wooden articles" and you'll get a page with interesting results.

The good thing with Amazon is that it gives you a good idea of what people are buying and the prices that they are paying.

Of course, you can also setup shop with both, Amazon and Ebay and sell your merchandise this way.

I hope this helps,

Jose

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you get people to see your products on Amazon.com?

I've done all the preliminary stuff, know what products I want to produce, spent the money to get UPC codes (they're not free) to be able to sell on Amazon.com... now what? How do I get people to see me on there?
...I know- blogs are one way, but how do you get people to read your blogs?
All these marketing 'experts' (not here, I mean fee for service sites) want to sell you the secrets...
...but anyone can blog, anyone can go on Facebook and Twitter, but if no one reads the stuff, it's kind of a waste of my $40 a month to be a seller on Amazon...

Help !! :shout:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done all the preliminary stuff, know what products I want to produce, spent the money to get UPC codes (they're not free) to be able to sell on Amazon.com... now what? How do I get people to see me on there?
All these marketing 'experts' (not here, I mean fee for service sites) want to sell you the secrets...
...but anyone can blog, anyone can go on Facebook and Twitter, but if no one reads the stuff, it's kind of a waste of my $40 a month to be a seller on Amazon...

I have to be honest with you. Marketing your products online is not easy stuff. If it was easy, then anybody will be making a killing. The reality is that only a very few do.

You've done the hard work by creating your products and opening the account in Amazon. Now it is the moment of facing the truth, and the truth ain’t pretty…

Unfortunately, the old saying “If you build it, they’ll come” doesn’t apply online. There are so many people selling products that it is easy that yours get lost in the noise.

So what can you do to promote your products? Don’t despair, there are some things (besides blogs) that you can do and they won’t cost you money (just some time). Here are a few:

1. Check Amazon products that you are familiar with, and are related to your area of specialty, and write some reviews. If you write smart reviews, people will start noticing you and when they click on your profile, they will see the link that you put to your website or the products that you are selling.
  2. Go to Google Adwords Keywords and search for terms that people could enter if they wanted to purchase your products (this is free). Don’t only use direct terms but terms around them (for example, for your pouches, you can use terms such as “transporting wood” “protecting wood” “protecting furniture”, etc. Take note of the most searched terms.
  3. Create an account in EzineArticles (it is also free) and write a few useful articles related to your products (even if they are not directly related). It is very important that you use the keywords that you found in Google Adwords Keywords in your articles. Google loves Ezinearticles and will promote your articles when people use the search keywords.
  4. Use the same keywords in your website so that starts scoring higher in the natural search results.
  5. Finally, you may decide to bid for Google Adwords. This could be an expensive proposition but Google allows you to cap the maximum monthly expense. You can start slow with $25 a month or so. If you buy Adwords, your website will show up when people enter the keywords that you establish in your Google account. You will only pay for people who actually click on the ad and visit your website.

Sorry but I can’t give you a full online marketing course in a forum. I hope that this is useful for you.

regards,
Jose L

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm taking your advice...

Hi, Jose,

I've been taking heed of your words and done a few things. I wrote a review on Amazon.com, will be writing more.
I did an article on ezinearticles.com (Protect Your Building Supplies From the Weather in an Open Truck)
- it turned out pretty well, and I'll update things with another one soon.

And I'm also trying a modest Google Adwords campaign for a little while.
Hopefully these will help lead more people to my site, and become customers!
Thanks again for your great advice.

Lloyd :dance3:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Win a Kerry-All Pouch !!

Want to win a Kerry-All Pouch?

Just go to www.kerrywoodworking.com and use the contact page. Send us a unique use for one of our pouches… or suggest a design for a new style pouch.

We’ll compare all the entries and the sender that shows the greatest creativity will win a free Kerry-All plywood pouch, including shipping.

Entry deadline is August 31, 2010. The winner will be announced in early September.

Enter now! Tell your friends!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.