Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last month's problems I made my decision to order the new machine earlier than planned. I ordered a 4 x 4 Pro model from CNC Router Parts. The whole shebang -- everything to fire up when put together - including Nema 34 steppers and their stand and spindle.

Got an email today that 8020 has shipped the extrusions for the stand. The machine should ship in a couple weeks. Gotta get busy this week end setting up the space that it'll occupy. Lot of stuff to move. This was a helluva chunk of change, to me anyway, to lay out. No turning back now.

Know anybody that wants a Shopsmith?? I need the room.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,050 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it set up, John.

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
229 Posts
Regarding the Shopsmith, I have a son who lives in Sterling Twp. He might me interested. Can he contact you? Send me a PM, and I can forward it to him. I already have a '56 Greenie with all the accessories (upgraded the power head to a 1989). That's what started me on the Woodturning Torrent.

Good luck with the CNC

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome John ! The exact model and size I want . Can’t wait to hear a review ;)

Only wish I lived closer so I could help assemble it
Rick, I'd let you assemble the whole thing and get it working for me.

I'll update the frustrations I encounter as it progresses. This isn't going to be an evening or two project, with my capabilities. Going to be interesting that's for sure.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Congratulations on your upgrade! This "hobby" is sure starting to look like a full-time business. :smile:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David,

I'll probably do a thread like you did on the build -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe I should do an album on it.

Fair warning -- I am not mechanically or much else inclined so if I pull this off, it'll be a major victory for me. It won't be a total ground up build like you did, but hopefully will provide a little boost to those on the fence. Or ........ discourage them. Don't know if CNCRP will like me or hate me after this. I do know this, though, the wife will kill me if it doesn't work and get used!!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations on your upgrade! This "hobby" is sure starting to look like a full-time business. :smile:
Ollie,

It's only full time when I get behind. I'd like to keep at a semi steady putzing pace. Just enough to keep kind of busy, but not hurried. To pay for my materials, a few bullets, occasional new firearm, and my part of the deer lease. Guess it doesn't work that way.

·
Administrator
David
3,980 Posts
Btw, John, you've set the bar pretty high for Contributor of the Month. To go out and buy a new CNC as your contribution is a pretty steep hill to climb for the next CoM. :wink:

David

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
John it's funny that we talked about the Shopsmiths taking up needed space in our shops a couple of weeks ago. I actually had to use mine (actually a Harbor Freight knock off with Shopsmith replacement parts) to drill some holes through two 10 1/2" long pieces the other day. My small bench top did not have the capacity to drill them so I moved everything around and uncovered it. Started up, drilled the holes and put it back to bed. First time I've used it in over 8 years but I have moved it around the shop 3 times to different locations.

I really don't think you will have trouble putting it together. They do have decent videos to help out so you might go look at them before the parts show up on you doorstep. You can also download the PDF files for assembly and look through them. Make sure you have the long ball nose Allen wrenches for your drill, it will make assembly a lot easier.

@RainMan 2.0 looks like John beat you to the punch. If you sit there much longer I will too!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw, John, you've set the bar pretty high for Contributor of the Month. To go out and buy a new CNC as your contribution is a pretty steep hill to climb for the next CoM. :wink:

David
I put the check that comes with the title to good use!!! Wasn't quite enough to get the 4 x 8.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John it's funny that we talked about the Shopsmiths taking up needed space in our shops a couple of weeks ago. I actually had to use mine (actually a Harbor Freight knock off with Shopsmith replacement parts) to drill some holes through two 10 1/2" long pieces the other day. My small bench top did not have the capacity to drill them so I moved everything around and uncovered it. Started up, drilled the holes and put it back to bed. First time I've used it in over 8 years but I have moved it around the shop 3 times to different locations.

@RainMan 2.0 looks like John beat you to the punch. If you sit there much longer I will too!

Love the Shopsmith drill press - especially when used horizontally. Can't beat it.

Reactions: MEBCWD

·
Administrator
David
3,980 Posts
I put the check that comes with the title to good use!!! Wasn't quite enough to get the 4 x 8.
Haha! You did better than me. All I got was a Cherry plaque. :wink:
Wood Hardwood

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
215 Posts
After last month's problems I made my decision to order the new machine earlier than planned. I ordered a 4 x 4 Pro model from CNC Router Parts. The whole shebang -- everything to fire up when put together - including Nema 34 steppers and their stand and spindle.

Got an email today that 8020 has shipped the extrusions for the stand. The machine should ship in a couple weeks. Gotta get busy this week end setting up the space that it'll occupy. Lot of stuff to move. This was a helluva chunk of change, to me anyway, to lay out. No turning back now.

Know anybody that wants a Shopsmith?? I need the room.
Congrats! Didn’t know you were a fellow SS owner. Can’t wait to see your future projects.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats! Didn’t know you were a fellow SS owner. Can’t wait to see your future projects.
Gotta get it and then figure out how to put the darn thing together. That's the part that worries me.

Reactions: artman60

·
Administrator
David
3,980 Posts
You had to make the plaque and I had to make the check good!! lol
I think my task was a bit easier than yours will be but I sure wish I was close enough to assist. I'd love to help out with that assembly!

David

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think my task was a bit easier than yours will be but I sure wish I was close enough to assist. I'd love to help out with that assembly!

David
You and Rick show up and have at it. I'll provide your own rooms, plenty of food, and I'll stay out of the way. Just let me know when it's done!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts