Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well all what a day . I took holidays starting today thinking I could get my garages electrical service upgraded and at the very least the ceiling insulated and vapour barrier put up by Monday .

Well it started out bad this morning as when I was in the crawl space I found out how far the distance was to undermine the footing to get the service threw , so the electrician said let's put the kibosh on going under and putting a service box on the wall with the conduit coming off of it . It would involve a splice but oh well .
Of course the concrete sticks out 8" from the side of the mud room , so I took my hammer drill and tried to core a 2-5/8" hole threw it so the conduit would be against the house .
First attempt goes in approx 8"s and comes to a stop . There's a big piece of steel in half the hole , so we move over and try again only to have the same issue .
Burning calories for nothing as I've got hours involved here and I'm getting nowhere .

We called it a day and when I stood on the on the side of the stairs to unplug the drill in the garage the stairs broke away from the wall .As I fell I land on a 5 gallon container of gunwash , and from what I'm feeling I'm pretty confident I fractured a few ribs .
It's like this garage was just not meant to be insulated , and I was looking quite forward to tinkering in there the winter :(

Looks like they hilteed the stairs to the wall with those concrete nails . There were 3 and the one corner broke and as that happened the other two released .
I'm going to core in some heavy duty inserts and also put a support underneith so this doesn't occur again .
It was only 3 stairs up , but that's all it took . How I hate old age , and extremely sharp pain for that matter :(

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
i hope it's only bruised ribs Rick. Still very painful but heal faster. I cracked a few once and it was like someone jabbing me with a knife when I inhaled but it wasn't too bad in a week.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Well, they say things happen in threes. I lost count of your doings but I thing there is a three in there somewhere.

Was the steel rebar?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm so bummed for you I can't imagine how much I must hurt to breath let alone cough.

For future reference when the stairs go back up you might want to consider installing a stop at the bottom step. It will also minimize "flex" when climbing or running down, which outside of rot could have been a/the contributing factor. I've installed them in garages, 2nd fl fire escapes, basement stairs and terrace stairways.

Don't exert or stress yourself, take the time to heal

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike it's not rebar as its way to wide . This house is old and always makes everything 10 times harder . I'm having one hell of a time getting off the couch , so I'm pretty confident I've got some fractures by the extremely sharp pains . I really was feeling confident that I was going to make done headway too.
Incredible how quickly things can go south . I pretty much have to tough out the pain and get this power feed buried . I say this but I have a feeling I'm going to be couch ridden tomorrow.
My friend broke 7 ribs in 18 places last year and they never healed and the doctors told him they never will . Not a feeling of confidence

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you build a solar heater? They are simple, cheap, and they work great.

VIDEO
Joe that is actually a very hot idea . I can't get over the Temperature in the pipe even though it's below zero , and in my case I have the 26' wall of my garage that is facing south and nothing obscuring it , so it looks viable . No the prettiest thing but viable . And I'm sure I could make something much more pro looking . 1/4" plexi for the front wouldn't be to cheap though .

I'm assumimg it's just a box painted black inside circulating the air from the garage ?
To think that if you added a solar cell to run a fan it would be free energy after it pays itself off

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so bummed for you I can't imagine how much I must hurt to breath let alone cough.

For future reference when the stairs go back up you might want to consider installing a stop at the bottom step. It will also minimize "flex" when climbing or running down, which outside of rot could have been a/the contributing factor. I've installed them in garages, 2nd fl fire escapes, basement stairs and terrace stairways.

Don't exert or stress yourself, take the time to heal
Good advice and that's how I fixed them , a couple of 2/4s at the rear so this can't happen again .
I'm finding getting in and out of bed to be extremely painful . Going for X-rays in the morning to see what the damage is . I'm really glad I gave up dirt biking

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hope it's only bruised ribs Rick. Still very painful but heal faster. I cracked a few once and it was like someone jabbing me with a knife when I inhaled but it wasn't too bad in a week.
If this pain is half gone in a week I'll feel like a won the lottery or something .
I had to get out of bed as I've got the night sweats and I'm soaked . It's like my bodies pissed off at me .
I don't have a clue how your suppose to not aggravate fractured ribs , as when you try and lay down or get up again , the pain is horrendous :|

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe I never thought about it but there are passive systems to , where the top pipe obviously has the heated air and the bottom the collector . I gotta say this is very interesting ;)

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
In this special case, Rick, you can have a few days off.. (Aussie humor).......

I trust you get well soon and the damage is not too serious.....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Rick, I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles.
Guys, we should have an old-fashioned Barn Raising! If 4 or 5 of us showed up at Rick's place, we could knock this thing out in a few days. It's only 2,200 miles from my place, and there are interesting things to see along the way. Rick, how many people can sleep at your place? Think of the adventure!

Reactions: Mike and ksidwy

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Rick, I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I'm glad your going for X-rays today. I had a fall a few years ago that broke 8 ribs in multiple places. That lead to a punctured lung which lead to blood clots. Pain beyond belief. They didn't think I was going to make it but by the grace of God I did. 16 days in the hospital followed by several weeks of recovery and some limitations for months after that. Be careful, be very careful and take care of yourself and take it easy.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
New fractures sometimes don't show up in xrays.
Good luck!
Take time off and get some pain meds.
You can take 300mg ibueprofen and 1000mg of Tylenol at the same time every six hours. These are handled by different organs so it is safe.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your accident. Rick, take this time to recover. Dont let the "non insulated garage" disturb your days, sooner or later you will do it for sure. cheers.
Sid.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Verily Job had his comforters too . . .

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Rick, I'm very sorry to hear of your accident. I'm glad your going for X-rays today. I had a fall a few years ago that broke 8 ribs in multiple places. That lead to a punctured lung which lead to blood clots. Pain beyond belief. They didn't think I was going to make it but by the grace of God I did. 16 days in the hospital followed by several weeks of recovery and some limitations for months after that. Be careful, be very careful and take care of yourself and take it easy.
Richard that sounds terrible and life threatening . I don't know how you toughed it out as I think I merely fractured a few and I scream getting in and out of bed . No matter how hard I try to be tough , I just can't get in or out without yelling . Good the the windows are shut as the neighbors would be phoning 911 lol .

Thanks for the comments guys . I was really optimistic about getting the shop insulated for winter ,and now this .
If I had heat I had a few more neat ideas to build . I'm glad I didn't put a router in my TS extension now , as I want to use that space underneith to build more drawers and have my saw blades and miter gauges underneith . May use Herbs idea and have the cabinet on wheels instead of attaching it to the TS itself . A project for next spring I guess

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Rick, I am saddened to learn of your fall. My Dad had an expression, saying he "bruised too easy and healed too slow"; and as I age it makes more sense each passing day. Broken ribs are quite painful! When ribs get broken, the muscles that wrap around them get stretched beyond their normal "call-of-duty". Think about this next time you eat or observe "ribs" as a food item! The meat that is around those ribs is muscle! Interstitial muscles surrounding rib bones are full of nerves - and this can cause pain long after the rib bones have mended! I've broken 3- ribs simultaneously in 1980, when I fell 28 feet - into a masonry scrap pile. I also broke: both arms, both legs, 5- vertebrae & my pelvis. I had 850 stitches and over 100- staples! I'm not the best-looking guy in a bathing suit! Now, years later, everything works great! I was assaulted on 8/7/15 following a [jackass] neighbor turning his pit bull dog on my Belgian Malinois. I disabled the dog and disabled the neighbor who assaulted me. My dog never had to fight, but I did get one broken rib in the fight. The bone healed in 6- weeks, but the muscles will continue to be sore for still somewhile. In both of my broken rib(s) events I've been advised to frequently take deep breaths! This is very important, because the obvious temptation is to breathe shallowly - but this can lead to pneumonia!

INSULATION:
I'm in Georgia (USA) when we rarely see sub-zero (F) temperatures. After moving into our house, I took-on the project of finishing the basement into the man-cave necessary to meet my needs. Since Joy is handicapped, her basement visits are a semi-annual event at best. My first step was building workbenches, next was electrical work and then on to INSULATION. In my arsenal of pneumatic tools there are numerous Porter-Cable staplers & nailguns. There are also plenty of the fasteners required for each of these tools. It had been a very long time since I had worked with INSULATION. I was dreading it - because fiberglass is very irritating to me! Boy was I in for a surprise! I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of (clear plastic) bags of batt insulation - appropriate for the studs and spacing in my walls. Once opened, the bags expand to about 4x their original size. The INSULATION was completely inoffensive to me! I could wipe it on my face!

There are many ways that people install insulation, but I chose to follow the directions (on each batt); the fibrous part get pushed into the airspace between the studs and the paper flaps lap-over the faces of the studs. I then used my little P-C Upholstery Stapler to staple said paper flaps as recommended by the manufacturer. The staples that I used are 5/8" long and 3/8" wide, and it is quite easy to adjust said stapler for just the right amount of staple penetration.

Prior to paneling and sheetrocking my basement, everyone that visited commented on "how neat" the insulation was! And I was never itchy or sneezing!

Don't forget to breathe deeply!
Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope it comes out well, and that modern medicine will make it easier on you. Keep us posted on the prognosis.

·
Registered
504 Posts
1/4" plexi for the front wouldn't be to cheap though .
You don't need 1/4" plex. Get free glass, or use thinner clear vinyl sheets. You are only containing free moving air. It does not have to be bulletproof.

The face must be clear, and the box must be sealed. The clear face allows the sun's UV rays to heat up the interior surfaces, much like how your black vinyl upholstery gets hot with your car sitting in the sun. That is how the hot air is created, by heating up the interior of the box.

Be sure to use clear panels that do NOT have UV-blocking characteristics, as you would be defeating the purpose of the box! Let the sun shine through!

1 - 20 of 222 Posts