Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I want to do this in my livingroom for my plants. Any help to get the post for the middle would be great; I haven't the foggiest notion where to begin to get this done. I need a place for my many plants. Love that table idea. I agree that Legs would have worked, but the wrenches make it one heck of a conversation piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Any help to get the post for the middle would be great;.
If you have a tree trimmer close, they might have something. Possibly a nursery could help. But around here probably craigslist would be best, they often have trees that have been cut down and just want to get rid of them, for free, you haul. Look under firewood too. Look in any free papers too. And ask, no telling who might know exactly what you want, and free. On a good day you might even get it delivered.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
That's different.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Look up all the tree services in your area and tell them what you're looking for so if they find something, they won't just cut it up into firewood. We have a moderate number of ash and black locust around here and I have a couple of guys looking out for me.

And if you haven't voted yet, I'd really enjoy being an official contributor. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I've got a bunch of pipe wrenches but I don't have two the same size, let alone 4. I'm guessing that person never used those correctly.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Barb; on the West Coast, it's pretty much help yourself to the junk stuff. The sawlogs are supposed to be salvaged by the lumber companies but they aren't very diligent about it.
On the Fraser river it's collected in the Fraser River Debris Trap at Agassiz, BC. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2,400 logging truck loads annually are collected.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I want to do this in my livingroom for my plants. Any help to get the post for the middle would be great; I haven't the foggiest notion where to begin to get this done. I need a place for my many plants. Love that table idea. I agree that Legs would have worked, but the wrenches make it one heck of a conversation piece.
Barb it looks to me that those are round blocks of fire wood cut on slight angles to make the tippy appearance from one shelf to the next. There is plenty of support in the corners to support the shelf and with the blocks in the center from the floor up ,makes it good and solid.
It might require some fussing to make the top block fit to the ceiling, but the rest of the shelves would be spaced by the length of the block.
Just saying.
Herb

·
Registered
834 Posts
Barb it looks to me that those are round blocks of fire wood cut on slight angles to make the tippy appearance from one shelf to the next. There is plenty of support in the corners to support the shelf and with the blocks in the center from the floor up ,makes it good and solid.
It might require some fussing to make the top block fit to the ceiling, but the rest of the shelves would be spaced by the length of the block.
Just saying.
Herb
Herb, that was very observant of you. After you said that I went back and took another look and you are probably right. That would make it a lot simpler also.
Good catch
David

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's what it is, Barb. The log is cut in sections and the shelves are all one piece made to look like they have holes cut in them. Should be pretty easy to make. Ken should be able to come up with a log in his line of work. I got a chainsaw if you need it cut in pieces.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
That's a lot of hog fuel if some company was interested in it. Tolko has a plywood mill in Armstrong, BC that has a 25 megawatt co-gen plant attached to burn their wood residues. 2400 loads would probably keep it going for a year.

Barb follow Theo's advice and call whatever tree surgery companies are in your area. Your best bet for something like that is off private land and preferably already dead as it will be much lighter if it is. Most of those companies chip the wood the cut and they have to pay tipping fees at a landfill to get rid of those chips so they may be happy to work with you. The promise of a bottle or a dozen beer or so may be enough to seal the deal.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
If you did, you'd likely give your foot a wrench.
Wonder how they fixed the jaws of the pipe wrenches to stay tight. I envision the legs falling off if the table is slid in one direction. The way pipe wrenches work , is to apply pressure to tighten and pull back to release. I think it is an accident waiting to happen.
Herb

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
If the bottom jaw is removable (even if it is not you can remove the upper jaw) and drill and install a locating pin that you would then drill a hole in the table top to match. This would index the 'legs' to the top and keep them from shifting too much. You could then crank down the upper jaw as tight as you want and either tack weld the nut to the upper jaw, epoxy it, or drill and pin. (this would definitely be easier on a cheaper tool than a higher quality hardened steel tool.)

The Mrs. said it looked cool, I don't know if I should add it to the never shrinking project idea list or not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts