Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone identify these tools? They were made by Stanley. Model number was 04118. I couldn't find a hit to that number, even on Stanley's website. Nor did I find a hit to the patent number #3,656.521 The only idea I can come up with is for removing broken screws and the owner says that the cutting edges appear to be for counter clockwise cutting. I'm hoping someone has actually used them before or seen them used. I suspect that they may be a few decades old.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how well they worked? I would have expected the centers to be hollow rather than the S pattern in these. Maybe the screw shank was meant to wedge in the S but that would seem to throw them off center then.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Harold. The 04119 was a larger size of the same tool. Quite the odd duck as tools go.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
that is exactly what they are...
screw shank extractors...
That one you show is also handy for drilling around nails in pallets, so you don't risk breaking the nails. Have to plug a few holes later, but you can salvage a lot more useful wood from a pallet that way. For those who have never salvaged pallet wood, those nails are brittle, and prone to break, no matter how careful you are pulling them.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to make a few guesses about them. 50 Years ago routers were only JUST starting to catch on. They were still pretty uncommon. Not that many people I knew had a table saw either both for cost reasons and a place to put them. So this tool would have taken the place of a dado or a router for making grooves. The stop collar would have taken care of the depth. Maybe you could run them along a straight edge. I'd have to try one to see if that's possible. I had never seen or heard of them before either Herb so I'm also guessing that they may not have made it past the 50s.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of the old stuff worked pretty good but there wasn't enough of a market or it required some skill to use. Hand planes are a good example. Lots of people bought them but didn't know how to set them and in particular didn't know how to sharpen them so they fell out of favor. Then diamond sharpening tools, white friable wheels, and other tools for sharpening starting becoming common around the late 80s and planes are now a big deal again. Card scrapers are another. I don't remember ever seeing any when I was young but they are common now and I use mine all the time. Maybe these work better than it looks like they do. I'm tempted to get them just to find out. Plus just having one would be kind of neat.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A picture I saw of the packaging said to run them along a straight edge Paul. I'm curious just how easy that was to do.

I didn't take industrial arts back then Dan but I had friends whose Dad's were woodworkers and I never saw them around their shops.

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi Charles,
I have co-incidentally just been re-looking at mine - bought it exactly 42 years ago, but in those days inventions took a while to get to these latitudes.
It was called the Stanley Electrichisel - I still have the original instruction sheet. Mine is for a 3/4 inch dado - I remember that the packaging came with a small piece of beechwood, with the dado cut for reference. The collar was used to set the depth of cut, and the tool was advanced along a straight-edge. The relatively long length meant that most of the time, the depth of cut was set from the upper surface of the straight-edge, I.e. the collar rode on top of the straight-edge, and the cutting tool race against the side of the straight-edge.
Worked reasonably well on solid wood, got blunt quickly on particle-board 9the days before met).
As you say, routers were not common - I did not have one, and what was available was the Stanley fixed-base type - very expensive for the time, with limited hss bit availability - no carbide.
Someone still has a cabinet I made at the time, with the shelves dadoed into the particle-board sides - saved me a lot of work cutting dados by hand in chipboard, but blunted the tool and I could never quite crack the sharpening (did not have a Dremel at the time, either). Then I acquired an Hitachi plunge router, and never needed it again. But I tend to hoard tools, “just in case”.
I was going to toss it out last month, then happened to see that Arbortech has a Turboshaft tool for a small angle grinder, which has a similar cutting configuration (but with replaceable carbide cutters). So I have been thinking about whether to modify it for use with an angle-grinder, but probably will land up tossing it. I don’t do freehand carving, anyway.
Stick, it was not designed for vertical use, and so would not be ideal for screw removal - also the gap between the internal edges of the cutting blades would be tight - less than 1/4 inch on my 3/4 inch model. It was more akin to a straight router bit than a plunge bit, and was hard to control in vertical use (tended to bounce away from the straight-edge), and would have left a vertical column of wood. Vertical use was for final smoothing of the floor of the dado.
It was also pretty heavy on a hobby drill at the time. My Millers Falls 500rpm 1/2hp drill did not cut it, and I put some serious mileage on my brother’s small Metabo. But when I acquired a 1hp 3000 rpm Metabo, it worked much better, but burned the cutting edges on the chipboard -we used to make serious chipboard locally in those days.

Charles, I can scan and post the user leaflet, if you require it.

Interesting, not only am I becoming a fossil, I may be a tool museum soon.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
" I had friends whose Dad's were woodworkers and I never saw them around their shops."
-Charles

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember them as being made in England. I actually enjoyed using the scrapers back then, actually I still do!
I built a Hall telephone desk in IA...'63. It was one of those small desks that had a drawer for the phone books and some fancy shamancy curved parts; Black Walnut it was. Did pretty much all the flat parts with the scraper...got pretty good at it.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Charles, I can scan and post the user leaflet, if you require it.
Don't know that it is 'required', but I for one would not mind seeing it.

Started shop in the 4th grade, continued to the 12th. Helped my grandfather, a carpenter, since I was 10 or so. Never heard of one before, and I am 77.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the testimonial Biagio. I was hoping to hear from someone who actually used one. If you want to post the info that came with yours I think many of us would be interested in reading it. You confirmed most of my suspicions about using it but I wouldn't have thought you needed that much power to run it. I find it fairly odd that so far you from South Africa and Harold from Australia are the only two with first hand knowledge considering that it was made I think in Connecticutt, USA. It seems that it was made in two sizes, the 04119 in 3/4" and the 04118 which was 1/2". According to one site's info they sold for $5.25 and $5.50 in the US at the time of manufacture which was 1973 according to the account I read. That may have been the only year they made them. I didn't find any further reference's after that. I saw where one had sold at action for $14 but it was still in the original package and the package was in pristine condition so it's mostly a novelty type collector's item it seems. I'm a bit of an oddball myself so I like unusual stuff like this.

Reactions: harrysin

·
Registered
715 Posts
Charles, in those days (tongue-in-cheek generalisations):
the good stuff came from the USA - except Canadian Nicholson files (I still have a couple);
superior stuff (Metabo, Mercedes Benz) came from Germany, but North America had the not-invented-here syndrome;
Japanese quality was picking up rapidly, but lacked innovation;
China was a place where a syphilitic dictator was re-educating millions of people to death - the only form of mass production;
Australia was some backwater where a couple of hundred people occupied scattered locations on the edge of a huge desert;
We used to get all sorts of stuff here, because the South African economy was such that our currency was twice as strong as the dollar - how the mighty have fallen.

The tool did not require that much horsepower, but it did need speed (minimum 1700rpm, according to the manual), which the lower-powered models in this neck of the woods lacked.

Dan, mine (model 04119) says made in USA, even the leaflet says printed in USA. I do not remember whether the 1/2" model was released here. I went for the 3/4 because of the 19mm veneered chipboard available locally - theoretically a one-shot dado, but also a limitation for other work - not every mortise is likely to be 3/4. The increasingly prohibitive price of natural timber also made it a less useful option compared to carbide tools.

Theo, not ideal for nail removal in pallets or anything else - you would land up with a 3/4" hole to remove a much smaller screw, and then only if you drilled right through. In thicker stock, you would be left with a column in the middle, with the screw defiantly still in place. And that is assuming you did not wander into the screw with the internal chisel edges.
Interesting to look at the back pages:
-Stanley had patterns and plans for furniture pieces - we never saw those here.
-I had a Stanley Powerlock tape for decades - do they still last as long?
- was not impressed by the Stanley tubular-shaft hammers, but have a sprung-handle Stanley Fatmax that looks good so far.
- Still have a couple of Surforms, but have found limited use for them somehow.
- Not sure whether the No 4 plane shown was still one of the good Stanleys, but later models have been underwhelming, have moved over to Japanese planes of late.

Have had to split the scanned leaflet into three parts, to comply with site attachment limits.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.