Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let’s get an update on the project you are working on or getting started on, or still planning and getting ready to begin. Anything counts as long as you’re really doing something we can look forward to seeing when it’s finished. Pictures, plans, prototypes - anything we can get a peek at would be great, too.

I’ll start with a few items I’m stalled on while waiting for some more tools (the perfect excuse!), some free time and a little warmer shop temps.

Pasta Drying Rack - this is an idea I’m copying from a thread here. Made a prototype but want to take it up a notch.

Shaker Clock - waiting on a clock works order to arrive and a business trip have kept me off finishing this one.

Maple/Walnut Cutting Board- no good excuse here - just a bit cool for working in the shop. Going to be a nice item, tho.

End Grain Maple Cutting Board - latest item added to the to-do list. Shouldn’t take too long.

Trial Dovetail Joint Boxes - needed to get the Sommerfeld Jig in here and will add this chore to the list.

There, that’s where I’m at for now. What about you?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just turned a pen from some mesquite I had cut from a fallen tree. I have two more blanks cut and drilled. I just need to glue the blank and turn. I have 5 mantle clocks from oak setting on my bench that are about 90% done. The picture shows a trial of a CNC Cut "Tempus Fugit" that I cut on my Shapeoko. When I get the model perfected I will cut it on all five clocks. When I get them done I will donate them to Habitat for Humanity Restore in Nacagodoches, Texas. I am waiting for a PSI Duplicator for my referbished Jet 1221 VS lathe so I can finish a chess set. I have the chess boards all glued up and need to make a base for the checker/chess boards.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
OK, since you asked. Designing a butt wiper.

Also working on designs for off-road/junkyard mobility chair, quarterwheel steamboat, various and sundry bank designs, new cane handle designs, Easter Island banks and candy dishes. Camper van interior. House sign designs and stand for them. Adult puzzle rocking chair. Revising my kids puzzle rocking chair. Shoulder holster.

Happy? And, yes, these are all actual projects.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can we assume these are all items made out of wood? A wooden butt wiper is....well, intriguing. Keep us posted.

Next...

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,945 Posts
Unfortunately I only have a few weeks off before going to sea again (this year's schedule sucks, but you do what you have to do for the kids...)

Income Taxes....... or my bride will kill me

engraving brass and aluminum (work project)

Laying out an 8 foot miniature copy of the Hollywood sign (church project)

making more tiny wooden boxes (fun project)

unfortunately this week has been shot with doctor visits for family members and care giving at home.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I found a dinning room set on one of those sales on Facebook. Sandra and I drove 40 miles to see what it looked like. The sellers already had the table taken apart so we loaded it all in our motor home and brought it home. The set had 6 chairs and a additional leaf. Two of the chairs, one with arms and one of the other 4 had damage. One had an arm broken off and another had a leg broken off. I repaired both of them. and they are as good as new.
The seat covers were worn and frayed so we ran out and bought some vinyl material.
The pictures show our work replacing the seat covers.
I currently have all the old material taken off and today we plan to begin the recovering.
The picture of the table and chairs set was taken before we began the recovery. If you can see on the table nearest the camera, there are several white blemishes.
I believe these to be from some thing hot being set on the table at some time.
I tried to wax them out even used past car wax, but they remain.
I was wondering if any one knew how to fix those spots.
I could throw a table cloth over it and cover them up, but I like the beauty of the wood to show.

By the way.. we gave 200 for the whole set.
I am pleased with that we got.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
OK, since you asked. Designing a butt wiper.

Also working on designs for off-road/junkyard mobility chair, quarterwheel steamboat, various and sundry bank designs, new cane handle designs, Easter Island banks and candy dishes. Camper van interior. House sign designs and stand for them. Adult puzzle rocking chair. Revising my kids puzzle rocking chair. Shoulder holster.

Happy? And, yes, these are all actual projects.
You sound busy Theo.
I besides redoing the dinning set, just replaced the kitchen faucet, am planning to replace the brakes on our motor home, remove the couch and install recliners in the motor home.
Just tore down the dryer and replaced the heat sensor ( and it works).
Replacing some of the old back splash in the kitchen and adding 1/4 round tiles along the counter top.
Replace the old sway bars front and rear on the motor home.
Repack the bearings (along with the brake job).
Install under the counter lights in the kitchen
and replace the ceiling vent that fell down the other day.
Replace the Motor Home entry lock.
Replace the old back up camera.

Happy? These are just the stuff on my list, haven't seen Sandra's list yet.

(Whats with the shoulder holster?)

We seem to be more busy then before we retired.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Redesigning the one side of my gym. Sold my Octane Zero runner pictured . It’s being replaced with a Concept 2 Rower .
So I’m going to build a new post to hold a 32” tv facing me, plus lower the 26” for the Rower .
Also building a floating shelf on the left for a larger mini fridge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
Finally able to breathe again, so I added a nice bit of backing to a commercial frame for my wife's new favorite painting. Added depth so I can lock in the canvas stretcher with so steel tabs. Have something like a stapler that shoots the small steel tabs into the frame material Going to paint it flat something like the wood of the commercial frame.

The main project I'm working on is rebuilding the back yard drip irrigation system with long runs of 3/4 schedule 80 pipe, with half inch hose attachments for short runs to the plants. Lots of trenching by hand. May pop for a Ditch Witch rental for to speed things up.

Have about an acre of back yard that needs drip watering for the plants I want to keep. Costly water here, and leaks are incredibly expensive.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Can we assume these are all items made out of wood? A wooden butt wiper is....well, intriguing. Keep us posted.

Next...
The off road/junkyard crawler will have a fair amount of wood. The rest are almost all wood, with the exception of my house number stand. And, yep, 100% wooden butt wiper; one of these days I'll tell the story behind that project. I love woodworking.
:grin:

·
Registered
361 Posts
A "Viking chair" for a customer - from some photos and scribbled dimensions. Have so far isolated one of the four cross pieces, in Photoshop, and will adjust to fit dimensions required, before printing out as a pattern. Luckily, no deadline!

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
You sound busy Theo.
(Whats with the shoulder holster?)

We seem to be more busy then before we retired.
That one is not made of wood. Licensed carry for years. Actually, the shoulder holster is a cloth pocket/holster that will go in the inside left side of the jacket I'm wearing now. The rest already have them. Jacket flops open, the pistol is out of sight in the pocket, but very easy to reach, especially sitting in the truck. And when I go out never go without a jacket or vest, so no worries forgetting the holster, and gun. And does not "print" on the outside as so many seem to be afraid of. I think I have a photo of one. That is with the pistol in the "holster".

A lot of my time is spent having to prop up and rest my legs - about 6 hours a day. This really eats into time for doing things, so try to pack a lot of stuff into that small window of opportunity.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
A "Viking chair" for a customer - from some photos and scribbled dimensions.
Never heard of it being called a "Viking chair", only Roman, or medieval chair. There are complete plans (free) for that model chair on the web, somewhere, just have to look a little.

Look up The Curule Construction – and Ancient X-frame Chair Design. I think you will find that interesting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Never heard of it being called a "Viking chair", only Roman, or medieval chair. There are complete plans (free) for that model chair on the web, somewhere, just have to look a little.
You're right Theo - a Viking chair is different. I just went along with what my customer called it, but I'll put him right. I will in future refer to it as a Roman chair. Thank you for putting me right.
I certainly don't need plans, just want to match the leg pattern for the customer, and not hard to do in Photoshop. The rest is just sensible assembly. The arms too are easy to match.

·
Registered
Steve
1,760 Posts
Okay, so I'm working on a buffet my wife asked for. It got delayed for a bit after I injured my supraspinatus (shoulder), but am back into it again when it's not too hot in the garage.
Got a bit of finishing to do before I get too much further on, just to make it easier. Will use clear poly, as the piece will match the table I built a while back.
I've never done drawers before, so it's going to be a new challenge.

Here's a teaser to show where I'm up to....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I am still working on the process of box joint and dove tail joint boxes using the PC dove tail jig. Most of the kinks are out.

Small re-work on the dust collection for the dove tail jig... almost done.

I have a Eastern Red Cedar Lunch/Tool box that needs to be sprayed to be complete.

A thin clothes hamper to fit in between the Washer and dryer. It will serve 3 purposes, hold dirty clothes, a shelf for shoes and will fill the gap between the washer and dryer where everything falls in. It won't be anything fancy made from free paper covered mdf.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am still working on the process of box joint and dove tail joint boxes using the PC dove tail jig. Most of the kinks are out.

Small re-work on the dust collection for the dove tail jig... almost done.

I have a Eastern Red Cedar Lunch/Tool box that needs to be sprayed to be complete.

A thin clothes hamper to fit in between the Washer and dryer. It will serve 3 purposes, hold dirty clothes, a shelf for shoes and will fill the gap between the washer and dryer where everything falls in. It won't be anything fancy made from free paper covered mdf.
Post some pix when these are done - the lunchbox sounds like a great idea for a school age child who’d want to wow their classmates.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts